Mitsubishi Mirage for Basic Transportation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JoelB
Careful believing people that have neither owned or researched a brand/vehicle.

Good point, but the OP is a grownup and should be able to sift through the various posts, from those who say they have owned, driven or researched (guys like you); those who say they have outdated experience, but recent research (me); and those who simply shout out a response ("Mirage, no way!") to make an informed choice.

Before I found my current Legacy a couple of years ago I was initially, casually looking to replace my ‘08 Civic Coupe with something with more headroom and four doors. That included just about every segment. Lol. I looked into the Mirage and, as others have mentioned, I didn't see it as a long-term vehicle.

My concerns were longevity of the company (and parts supply), RESALE should I try to dump it after five years, and practicality. Based on these and other criteria, Mitsubishi as a Make was knocked of my list before I even moved on from casually researching a new car. In that segment, the Yaris wasn't tops, either; I wanted a Fit.

The Legacy became available just as my wife was realizing I wanted a new-to-me vehicle. She pushed really hard for me to consider a larger vehicle, especially since she had recently been hit by some teen who ran his red light, causing her to smack her head into the driver-side glad, but nothing bad or worse. She assured me, and I agreed, that she likely would have been more severely injured had she been in our Civic at the time. Soon after, the Legacy was posted on a work forum and the rest is history.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by parimento1
I just want a car that is relatively reliable.

Then the yaris wins, no contest.

Nope.. Had one all kinds of issues.

The front wheel bearing went out the first month, Then the exhaust stared leaking in to the cabin, then the VVTi expired, then the brakes went soft but Toyota wouldn't bleed them - dealer service said they had a Memo stating not to bleed brakes (morons), then the front suspension bushings gave up after 3 years and the steering was poor.

I will say the first year was Fun. It was an enjoyable car ( I had the 3 door stick - only way to go )

If you say it was "Just me" - I have Toyota TSB's on most of the issues stated above.

The Honda Fit is over priced and not great at all. But mine was built during the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster

A 13K car. Especailly now it's Hecho en Mexico

The Versa is a know piece of absolute junk. I had a Versa Note and returned it with a blown engine in 2 months.

Better off getting a Forte or ?? off lease The above car looses 3-4 grand the second you drive them off the lot.

I was given $5800 for the Yaris 3 years old with 52K miles on it and no damage good condition in trade.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by JoelB
Careful believing people that have neither owned or researched a brand/vehicle.

Good point, but the OP is a grownup and should be able to sift through the various posts, from those who say they have owned, driven or researched (guys like you); those who say they have outdated experience, but recent research (me); and those who simply shout out a response ("Mirage, no way!") to make an informed choice.

Before I found my current Legacy a couple of years ago I was initially, casually looking to replace my ‘08 Civic Coupe with something with more headroom and four doors. That included just about every segment. Lol. I looked into the Mirage and, as others have mentioned, I didn't see it as a long-term vehicle.

My concerns were longevity of the company (and parts supply), RESALE should I try to dump it after five years, and practicality. Based on these and other criteria, Mitsubishi as a Make was knocked of my list before I even moved on from casually researching a new car. In that segment, the Yaris wasn't tops, either; I wanted a Fit.

The Legacy became available just as my wife was realizing I wanted a new-to-me vehicle. She pushed really hard for me to consider a larger vehicle, especially since she had recently been hit by some teen who ran his red light, causing her to smack her head into the driver-side glad, but nothing bad or worse. She assured me, and I agreed, that she likely would have been more severely injured had she been in our Civic at the time. Soon after, the Legacy was posted on a work forum and the rest is history.

I will totally agree that mirage resale is TERRIBLE. I would suggest someone pick up a used 2017 or newer mirage as they were revised. You can find a low mile 2017 for $6k around my house. As far as Mitsubishi as a company, I certainly cant tell the future. The last I heard sales of the outlander sport were pretty good, and increasing. But I think it's a valid concern since they really don't have many models and aren't very popular in the US.

The mirage is mostly a misunderstood car. Mitsubishi built it to be basic and efficient, at all costs. So the ride isn't great, it isn't fast, and really isn't very refined. But it's affordable and does exactly as it was designed to do.

There's no MIrages in their inventory, but search Hertz, Enterprise, etc, used cars in this segment of vehicle. You can get 2018-19 Nissan Versas with around 36K miles for ~$10K Same with Chevy Sonics. There's some Yaris and Hyundais in there too in that price range. Neat thing about Hertz Rent-2-buy is you can rent the vehicle for a few days at a reduced rate and they waive the rental fee if you decide to buy it. Gives you a chance to check for crack pipes and dead hookers before you buy.

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to "live" with a Mirage that I had as a rental while my 2006 Corolla was in the body shop getting repairs.
Long story, short.........make sure you test drive it before you purchase it....................
Just saying
smirk.gif

My wife loves her little Mirage. It gets 48 mpg, she likes the hands free phone setup, the stereo, the cruise control works well and runs 80 mph without breathing hard and it gets 48 mpg. Would I want to take it on a 12 hour road trip? Probably not. But, as basic transportation, it is fine.

I drove one, and wanted to like it, but boy did it seem slow (probably because it is--and if you look at my stable, that is saying something). Being in the city you might benefit from the warranty, as I don't think you drive enough miles per year to drive out of warranty fast? yet so much could be saved by buying used, enough that might pay for any repairs.

I dare say, the biggest problem might be finding a good independent to work on it. If you get the CVT (which I wouldn't blame you for wanting, in the city and all) I'm not sure what it costs nor how long lived it is.

I think this is a case of, spend more to get more, or spend less to save more in your pocket.

IIRC this is a global car with decent sales overseas, so the parts might be available, just not common here. Then again, it's really something of a throwaway car.

Originally Posted by JTK
There's no MIrages in their inventory, but search Hertz, Enterprise, etc, used cars in this segment of vehicle. You can get 2018-19 Nissan Versas with around 36K miles for ~$10K Same with Chevy Sonics. There's some Yaris and Hyundais in there too in that price range. Neat thing about Hertz Rent-2-buy is you can rent the vehicle for a few days at a reduced rate and they waive the rental fee if you decide to buy it. Gives you a chance to check for crack pipes and dead hookers before you buy.

this.
i got my 42k mile 2014 toyota yaris at hertz in 2016 for $9000ish. nissan versa and chevy sonic were there for similar prices. the yaris is roomy, tossable, reliable and fun.

Doug DeMuro really hates the car. His video review is just him complaining the whole time.

If you're in NYC, where are you commuting to that requires a car?

I'd look at something safer and more modern. The city will take a toll on your vehicle. A 2-4 yr old Subaru, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai or Kia would all be OK.

if you care to know a vehicles history and want a car that is yours from day 1. - go with the mirage if not than a used yaris is fine.

I tested a new (at the time) Mirage when I was considering starting a youtube channel on it.

For what it was, it was ok.
Everything about the car (seats, ride, fit and finish) reminded me of my ex-gf's 91 Chev Sprint 3 cyl hatchback ( same as Geo Metro, Pontiac Firefly etc.)
Those cars, just like the Mirage, were generally throw-away cars...really, how many of those

After I spent time behind the wheel, I was kinda glad there's a company in the world who still makes cars with old-school (90s) tech.
Sure, cars like the Yaris and Fit are MUCH better in every regard, but if you want something to beat on and throw away, you really can't fault the Mirage.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Have you considered a Smart car? Tiny and safer than Mirage or Yaris are.

Stay the heck away from Smart. If you think Daewoo is bad, wait till you see Smart, that thing is 10x worse.

Yaris even the Mazda build one is ok as they are basic and simple, with highish volume so parts are easy to get and easy to repair. Mirage should be fine but when you need parts you may not be able to get them, especially if the dealer near you went bankrupt and you have to tow it 200 miles away for another dealer.

I'm a bit concerned about the Jatco CVT in Versa, I know they are better now but I'd worry about it when it is 100-150k miles, 72k is still too young to say it is good. Stay away from Prius C if you are not driving a lot, the battery cost will be higher than the mileage gain and the initial purchase price premium.

Originally Posted by PandaBear

I'm a bit concerned about the Jatco CVT in Versa, I know they are better now but I'd worry about it when it is 100-150k miles, 72k is still too young to say it is good. Stay away from Prius C if you are not driving a lot, the battery cost will be higher than the mileage gain and the initial purchase price premium.

Mitsubishi uses Jatco CVTs as well, but you don't seem to hear about issues with them like you do on Nissans. Numbers of them on the road maybe? Who knows.

When I purchased our 2015 Versa 1.6S base model by private sale, I specifically sought this model because it came with the 4spd auto. You can still find base model Versa sedans that way up until 2017. Beyond that they're all CVT.

The 4spd definitely doesn't make it a nicer vehicle to drive, I did it because it's the car my kids use and I was looking for something to go the distance.

My neighbour has a nissan micra ( not sure if its available in the U.S ) and he loves it for running around the city, but states its no highway cruiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back