Replacing Rusty Brake Lines

I have a bit more time on my hands now that overtime has pretty much evaporated at work for the time being so I'm going to tackle the few remaining issues on my '96 Grand Prix. One of them is that one or more brake lines underneath the car is rusted and leaking. I plan on replacing any that look suspect, but this will be the first time I've done brake lines.

I've read a fair bit about it, but curious if anyone has any links or suggestions on what tools I will need for bending / cutting / flaring the lines. Links to good deals on the tools and/or the lines would be helpful. I plan on using the alloy (forget what it's called) that doesn't rust as opposed to steel lines, unless there's a gigantic cost difference. We don't generally have problems with rust here, I think this was a car from further north judging by the moderate amount of rust it has underneath. Thanks in advance.

Ni-copp lines and a tube bender from Napa, AZ, Amazon, etc...
Maybe the flaring tool as a loaner from AZ will save you a few bucks...

You should be fine with a loaner set and the Ni-copp lines, as mentioned. Just watch videos and take your time. The big thing with brake lines on a beater is don't try to make them look pretty. Just make sure they're secured out of the way and won't rattle around and you'll be fine.

Does your GP have the ABS unit mounted right to the master cylinder? That could throw a curve-ball in the flaring, GM liked to do goofy things with bubble flare's vs. double flare's on some of those units, and they liked to use odd-sized fittings. Since I recommend running all new lines front to back, that could come into play. Bleeding the ABS unit might prove tricky, but you could get lucky and sneak by with a regular bleed.

How long do you plan on keeping the 96? I would go with coated steel lines. They likely will outlast the car. I would take measurements of the run needing replacement. Then buy a few pre-made lengths to equal your measurements, bend with a bending tool or you can carefully do it by hand and join them together with the proper unions. No flaring, just start assemblng the formed pieces and should only take an afternoon to finish everything. That's what I did with my 97 Lesabre which isn't much different from yours.

Last edited:
What is the intended use of this project? You may be able to get factory lines for about the same as the copper/nickel and fittings. the original lines. Are you gonna be driving the GP in 2040? That said, I replaced the Rat's rotten brake lines with home made lines that I made from a 25' roll. I have an el cheapo double flre tool. Don't lose the directions, its a process, you'll also need a tubing cutter and a file.I hand bend the lines,by holding the line in both hands. I use my thumbs to make a gentle radius to prevent a kink, using the old line as a pattern. I don't go nuts forming tight bends. I do reclip the lines to the original spots, addIng more as needed.

Originally Posted by Lubener
How long do you plan on keeping the 96? I would go with coated steel lines. They likely will outlast the car. I would take measurements of the run needing replacement. Then buy a few pre-made lengths to equal your measurements, bend with a bending tool or you can carefully do it by hand and join them together with the proper unions. No flaring, just start assemblng the formed pieces and should only take an afternoon to finish everything. That's what I did with my 97 Lesabre which isn't much different from yours.

Second this post, except the NiCop bend so very much easier than the steel, well worth the few extra bucks to go NiCop.

I have the midrange OTC set, which is fine for NiCopp when I redid the Dakota. Make sure you have the right fittings and flare, could be ISO bubble flare or double flared ends, SAE or Metric fittings.

Originally Posted by HangFire
I have the midrange OTC set, which is fine for NiCopp when I redid the Dakota. Make sure you have the right fittings and flare, could be ISO bubble flare or double flared ends, SAE or Metric fittings.

My 97 Lesabre had bubble flares and European fittings. I would think his 96 Pontiac would be the same.

Back