Are all JWS3309 ATF’s the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife's Volvo with the AW-55 is about due for a transmission drain and fill.

Would say a Volvo, Idemitsu or Aisin fluid carrying this approval be identical to Mobil 3309?

Last edited:
You need a JWS-3309, or Toyota T-IV spec fluid. (I know you're already aware.) Are they all the same? Don't know, haven't tried every brand...

What I can say, is that I've used Toyota T-IV, MOBIL 3309, AMSOIL Signature Series, and Valvoline Import multi-vehicle with success in my P2 Volvos (AW-55).

I've never used the Volvo fluid - at nearly $30/quart, for a mineral oil, it's outrageously priced. The Toyota T-IV is identical.

Picking up a case of T-IV at the Toyota dealer is both convenient and a decent deal. That's my recommendation.

If you ever start to have the shift problems for which the '01-'02 AW-55 is known, PM me - I've done valve body surgery on all three of mine. Most recently, I swapped a brand new GM Valve Body*, bought on Amazon for $495, into the '01 V70. A slight modification to the wiring harness was needed, and I had to swap the S4 solenoid from the old VB. A reasonably cheap fix for an AW-55 with shifting issues.

*Some GM cars and some NIssans also used the AW-55, though GM called it the AF-33. So, GM still has valve bodies for sale. The key point of failure on the early valve bodies was the bore for the SLT solenoid, which controls line pressure. Bore wears, allowing fluid to leak resulting in low line pressure. With low line pressure, the transmission starts acting up. Various kits exist to fix this problem, and many companies rebuild that particular body with a sleeve kit in the SLT bore. The GM body is new manufacture, and doesn't have the problem. At $495, it's cheaper than rebuilding the old body. A quick programming and drive adaptation is needed for the install.

Last edited:
Thanks Astro. Hope all is well with you and the current events.

I may do your filter addition too. You did a spin on and magnafine both, correct?

Mobil 3309 and Yoda is just best bet. Just keeping an eye on prices and since I can't drive to the dealer... I need to buy some things for the A4 so I was just planning on adding stuff onto an order from FCP.

Originally Posted by Trav
Yes as well as Toyota T IV. I have been using AISIN ATF0T4 in the AW-55/AW-57for a long time without any problems, it is spec fluid.
Rock Auto has the best price so far $4.87 qt.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7668688&cc=1433175&jsn=363

"Spec" in that Aisin specifies it for this use, but it is not Toyota T-IV licensed (and like other Asian manufacturers they typically do not license any of their fluids).

In Aisin's own language:

ATF-0T4 specifically engineered for Toyota, Lexus, Scion and many other domestic and import vehicles.

As always, not saying it is deficient however.

It may not be Toyota approved but they AW did manufacture the box so one would assume they know what fluid will work properly in it and have it made for them to that spec.

JWS3309 is the spec. Just like DOT 3 or R-134A. There probably is some variation from brand to brand but not enough to be of concern. Regards

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
JWS is a Exxon-Mobil standard though, not a Toyota or Aisin-specific standard

Are you saying Toyota Type IV is the incorrect fluid?

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Thanks Astro. Hope all is well with you and the current events.

I may do your filter addition too. You did a spin on and magnafine both, correct?

Mobil 3309 and Yoda is just best bet. Just keeping an eye on prices and since I can't drive to the dealer... I need to buy some things for the A4 so I was just planning on adding stuff onto an order from FCP.

Thanks for the kind words. We are fine, at the moment. Terribly uncertain future...

Back to cars - I did only the spin-on filter with my Volvos and their cooler/thermostat set-up. A magnefine wouldn't hurt, but I didn't do it. Just did a drain and fill on my wife's XC* last week. At 256,000 miles, the fluid came out clear and red. So far, so good.

Since you can't drive to the dealer, I would use whatever you can get from FCP. Looking at their site, I'm frankly shocked that they can offer the Volvo fluid for $15/liter, when the dealer wants twice that. Still, it's crazy for what you get. The Aisin and the Idemitsu look good to me. I would be fine using the Aisin in my Volvo, after all, they built the transmission. I've gotta' believe they make a fluid that's in spec...

*Original transmission, got the valve body rebuilt at about 110,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back