BMW 328D?

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by meep
Guys - thank you. Between confirmation of emissions concerns, and feedback about both its diesel and gas motors, that confirms what was in my own head. Sometimes it helps to just bounce it off of others for a sanity check. I've cancelled the intra-dealer shipment.

Spend that money towards a new Camry. Dealerships are ghost towns and desperate for a sale.

That Audi E-Tron I was looking at, they've dropped almost $20K off the price now, LOL!!! Had they done that originally, I'd be driving it instead of the Jeep.

I've only owned 12- from a Bavaria 3.0 to an E24 M6 to a 1975 2002 to a 2016 i3 to my current fleet. What annoys me are the "experts" who have yet to sit in a BMW who excrete fifth-hand hearsay about BMW reliability. I think much of that tripe is motivated by either envy or sour grapes. There are vehicles out there that I wouldn't own if someone paid me, either due to the fact that they are soul slaughtering anodyne appliances or I think that their reliability is questionable, but I have absolutely no desire to mimic the BMW "experts" and spout my opinions concerning vehicles I wouldn't own- even under the penalty of death.

Spend that money towards a new Camry. Dealerships are ghost towns and desperate for a sale.

That is the funniest comment I've read all day!
You were joking, I hope.

Originally Posted by MCompact

That is the funniest comment I've read all day!
You were joking, I hope.

My uncle bought a Camry and it didn't give him any problems. He passed away last year peacefully in his sleep, unlike his friends who were screaming in the back seat.

:groan:

Originally Posted by Trav
Toyota Venza TDI, both are flawless good performers, great fuel economy and punch way above their weight.

What is this Toyota Venza TDI you speak of?

Owned a 2009 Venza for 10 years, and never heard of the TDI version.

crackmeup2.gif

01.gif

Guys - thank you. Between confirmation of emissions concerns, and feedback about both its diesel and gas motors, that confirms what was in my own head. Sometimes it helps to just bounce it off of others for a sanity check. I've cancelled the intra-dealer shipment.

Why not buy a pair of white shoes, move to Miami and get it over with already?

Originally Posted by atikovi

Why not buy a pair of white shoes, move to Miami and get it over with already?

Don't forget a white belt and plaid pants- and perhaps splurge on a gold trim kit for the "bold" Camry.

I think you would have to go back to the 90's before you'd find a V6 Camry slower than a 328d... Even Grandpas like a little pep under their foot!

This is my 23rd year of driving the 3 series. Been buying them since I was a kid. My current car has been a bit of a challenge to keep on the road, but it's not the nightmare it's made out to be. I'm seriously thinking about a Giulia, but I'm not quite there yet.

I'm normally a huge advocate for federal emissions standards. But if I owned a D car, I'd think seriously about deleting.

Originally Posted by antonmnster
This is my 23rd year of driving the 3 series. Been buying them since I was a kid. My current car has been a bit of a challenge to keep on the road, but it's not the nightmare it's made out to be. I'm seriously thinking about a Giulia, but I'm not quite there yet.

I'm normally a huge advocate for federal emissions standards. But if I owned a D car, I'd think seriously about deleting.

This November I will have had my Club Sport for 25 years. I still love it.

Originally Posted by IndyIan
I think you would have to go back to the 90's before you'd find a V6 Camry slower than a 328d... Even Grandpas like a little pep under their foot!

Got a point.

Found a 2015 diesel bmw 3-series with about 50,000 miles on it. It looks to have been very well kept. I've been keeping an eye on a used smaller/fun car as an alternative to DDing our truck. Small diesels have always attracted me, and these 328d models do tend to show up on the used market. does anyone here have any experience with these? I've seen generally on Google that by 2015 the engines themselves are pretty well sorted, but there are complaints about emissions - enough that I've unscheduled the planned test drive to go back and think on it some more. The $3.5k cost of an extended warranty prices it out of my interests. They're asking around 18,9.

thoughts?

Several things here.
F30 328d runs second generation SCR system. It si far more reliable than 1st gen SCR that E90 335d had and E70 35d had (I had that one).
Engine in 328d is detuned compared to what they offer in Europe. It was BMW's way to meet CAFE standards in the US. Engine is tuned for maximum mpg. It s great engine (Toyota is buying them from BMW), but this particular version is on economy side. In Europe they have bunch of versions, including two twin scroll turbo versions.
SCR is far better than E90 but you cans till have some issues. Take into consideration that is not BMW's issue, but issue across industry as many same parts are used by many manufacturers. Now, you being in Southeast you should check whether you must do emissions. If not, you can delete SCR and significantly tune up that engine.
However, I think compared to 328i dealing with SCR issues is not worth it. Plus, they actually have same torque.
If you could swing money for F30 330i do it. B48 returns almost same mpg and it will obliterate any Camry V6 that is mentioned here.

By the time that Camry deals with torque steer, 328d is gone.

Originally Posted by edyvw

By the time that Camry deals with torque steer, 328d is gone.

You made me picture Grandpa in his nice Polo shirt and white New Balances flailing his arms all over the car trying to tame the wild torque steer in his beige V6 Camry, whilst drag-racing a gray-ponytailed college professor wearing a tweed jacket in his 328d from a stoplight in Tampa, Florida.

I am a diesel guy with my 4th diesel Benz. I had a 2011 GL350 Blutec. I had to get rid of it due to constant issues with DEF system. Went backwards and got a one owner 2006 E320 CDI that is a rocket ship. Oil used must meet MB 229.31 or higher, no issues, except have a slow ac leak that I fill myself in summer. I will never own a diesel that requires SCR, DEF. May even go gasoline next due to narrowing of diesel vs gasoline efficiency when Diesel price is put into consideration.

BMWs aren't for everyone. I LOVE mine, and have several friends/family that love theirs as well. They certainly aren't vehicles you can just put gas in and drive with zero problems, but then again most cars are not like that. If someone buys a car and expects to do no maintenance, they will have an issue/breakdown at some point.

You have to be smart when buying a BMW. Doing your research and buying the right model year/drivetrain/chassis can be the difference between trouble free ownership and literally spending thousands a year to keep it running. The more complex the car (turbos, electronic suspension, etc) the more likely it is to have issues, especially if it's a brand new chassis. Buy something that has had the bugs worked out, is relatively simple, and has been maintained, and you won't have issues. Research the potential issues the car may have before buying, so you know what to look out for. This should be the case with ANY vehicle purchase, no matter what brand.

My BMW gets driven 90 miles a day, and most of them are spirited. I took it on a 1200 mile road trip where it was full of camping gear, and then on that trip I beat the snot out of it on the tail of the dragon which is a road that has 318 curves over 11 miles. Car did fine, no hiccups whatsoever. I am anal about maintenance, and have the ability to save money by doing brakes, oil changes, and repairs myself. Even if I had to go to an Indy shop I'd still probably be fine because I know the car, what can need repairs, and about how much to pay. It is now 11 years old, and I wouldn't recommend any 11 year old car to someone who doesn't know how to check tire pressure.

It's all about values and tolerances, right? I don't mind some quirkiness - I've had 3 volvos, all over 100k miles. They require more care than a camry or accord, but for me also returned more driving enjoyment, interior comforts and gave a style I liked. Man I miss those seats - and the NA models would get 450 miles on a tank between fillups. BMW ownership is one step farther into European owndership IMO - increased driveability, but I suspect another step farther for upkeep. How /many/ steps farther is where my cutoff is. My wrench experience on bimmers is limited - helped a couple of engine pulls, cylinder head jobs, and some wiring troubleshooting. So I have an idea of what they can be.... it's just, at this point in my adulting life, how much do I really want to get in to. 6MT 4-banger gasser is probably more my speed.

If one is thinking about a diesel for fuel mileage, remember that the modern BMW 2.0 Turbo will deliver in that department if you drive it gently. My '15 328i regularly returned 25-27 with 70% city driving. Yes, it required premium, but you know that going in.

I only had the car 4 months; it was totaled in a rain flood. So I never got to do a real road trip in it. But I used to fill up in the early morning, drive my 12 miles to work with 7 of those on the highway at 60-65, and the fuel monitor would report 38 mpg before I got off the highway and started stop-and-go through the city streets. If it would have returned 35 on a regular all-highway road trip, I'd have been very pleased.

The 2010-2014 Volvo S60 Polestar or R-design would be a perfect car for you, just try to find a one owner one that always had the oil and fluids changed on time.

Back