Dodge Durango 3.6L - HPL 5w-20 - 5,000 Miles on oil

wwillson

Staff member
This is a sample pulled from my Durango 3.6L with 117,000 miles total and 5,000 miles on the oil. The oil is HP 5w-20 by High Performance Lubricants in Manteno, IL. This oil is intended for extended drain intervals. It's not inexpensive, but it's clear that it holds up very well. I will sample again at 10,000 miles. Filter is a Fram Ultra, which was not changed at this sample. Consumption was zero, which improved from about 0.25qt every 5,000 miles.

Lab is WearCheck

Code

OIL HP 5w-20

MILES IN USE 5,000

MILES 117,000

SAMPLE TAKEN 02/22/2020

ALUMINUM 3

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 5

COPPER 3

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 523

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE
SILVER
TITANIUM
POTASSIUM 1

BORON 181

SILICON 11

SODIUM 4

CALCIUM 3422

MAGNESIUM 462

PHOSPHORUS 788

ZINC 948

BARIUM 3

Soot 0.1

WATER NEG

cSt @ 100 °C 8.8

TBN 12.3

Originally Posted by wwillson
Originally Posted by Imp4
Did you purchase this oil or was it provided to you?

IMP4,

I purchased the oil. Thank you for asking.

Wayne

Great, thanks!
Do you think the price you paid was worth the difference in cost versus a mass market, readily available (Walmart, AZ, etc) product?

That looks like a really stout oil....but the calcium level is too high for a GDI turbo engine.
How much does a quart of that VSOP cost?

Did you purchase this oil or was it provided to you?

IMP4,

I purchased the oil. Thank you for asking.

Wayne

Great, thanks!
Do you think the price you paid was worth the difference you paid versus a mass market, readily available (Walmart, AZ, etc) product?

Good question and the point of my running the oil. I plan on running it to 20,000 miles with a UOA every 5,000 miles. If it goes 20,000 miles before reaching any condemnation limit, then I'd say yes at $9.39/qt.

Good question and the point of my running the oil. I plan on running it to 20,000 miles with a UOA every 5,000 miles. If it goes 20,000 miles before reaching any condemnation limit, then I'd say yes at $9.39/qt.

A decent UOA is $25. Are you figuring the $100 UOA cost into your analysis, or do you consider the UOA cost to be external?

Do you have for info on the oil? Even a picture of the bottle?
grin2.gif

A decent UOA is $25. Are you figuring the $100 UOA cost into your analysis, or do you consider the UOA cost to be external?

I would dump at 20,000 and do a 4 UOAs the first time, just because I'm curious. The next run would get a UOA at 15,000 to determine how the oil is doing. If the UOAs show no reason to dump the oil at 15,000, then maybe not even do UOA and dump at 20,000. However, I'm curious enough and like data, so I would probably just do a UOA at 15,000 every time.

A TBN of 12.3 with 5k miles on it? That's either incredible, or a testing error.

I see where most of their business concerns industrial equipment with a lot of compressor oils. Looks like they may have some pretty good knowledge and industry suppliers for the blending they do. Would be interesting to see a SDS or product data sheet for their motor oils. As an aside, the 3.6 Pentastar uses the Mopar 6395 specification which literally allows you to buy the cheapest off the shelf non-synthetic Valvoline/QS/YBP etc. It doesn't stop me from squandering my money on Red Line or Ravenol for my 3.6L Pentastar but I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to buying oil for my vehicles according to the Bitog masses. Won't allow me to see their SDS/Data sheets without a sign-on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JustN89
A TBN of 12.3 with 5k miles on it? That's either incredible, or a testing error.

It's accurate. It's part of HPL's specialization, make oils that have great performance and are safe for extended drains.

Impressive!

That's a cross country road trip oil if I ever saw one. I think $10/qt is a good deal as well. My daughter paid $80+ once at Valvoline for 0W20 Synpower when I couldn't change her oil!

Back