2004 Silverado

mjk

Hi,

A unique opportunity may have just come up, possibly changing my direction in looking at trucks.

Looking for anything from that year (5.3 z71) that may pop out as unusual issues, compared to other years of GM in that era.

I've put on about 110k on my 01 Tahoe, so familiar with the usual - fuel pumps, Intake gaskets, window regulators, maintenance of drivetrain....

Thanks, and stay healthy.

Was that year included in the transmission issue? I can't remember the article right now, but there IS an issue with some GM trucks around that time. Something to do with the 2 - 3 shift. It seems to me there is a faulty casting or something that just can't be repaired. It's an issue, but not a huge problem until it IS.

Normal: fuel pumps, transfer case rub through, window regulators, front diff actuators/4x4 switch, broken exhaust studs
Be sure to check the head casting number, the 706 heads had a habit of being porous. As long as rust isn't becoming a problem, they're good trucks that are fairly easy to work on. The pre AFM 5.3L looks better and better every day.

You know, I swore I would never own a GM vehicle again. The bigger items that I replaced on my Tahoe, purchased in 2013 w/ 68k on it, include: fuel pump, intake gaskets, normal cluster rebuild, 2 front bearings.... and 2 window regulators.

Other than that, smaller normal maintenance stuff. I am at 179k, so lower mileage for an 01. In honesty, it has been a reliable vehicle. No transmission issues. Replaced front/rear diff fluid with Amsoil around 75k, along with Tcase.

This 04 truck is kind of an unique situation, I am planning on setting up an appt this week. We will see, I don't jump on vehicles, so nothing ventured/nothing gained.

I will say this is a buyers market right now....

Last edited:
Hmm … BiL did 400k on a 2002 GMC and only did tires, brakes, and front wheel bearings …
Just ran Mobil Super bulk 5k OCI … and trans service every 50k …
(the Mobil 1 Express would do air filters as needed) …
He has the mechanical skills of a 2nd grader … So really did nothing himself

The only thing that I haven't seen mentioned here that is a concern with GMT800s is the brakes lines. Pretty common issue.

My advice, if a problem pops up, is to replace all the lines with Ni-Copp or a pre-bent stainless set. I've done both. Dorman, of all companies, actually makes (re-labels?) really good kits for these trucks that are cheap (~$100).

There's an 04 at work with over 500k on the original 5.3, another at around 400k. Heads have never been off either truck. They have had transmissions replaced, but all with over 300k, one went to 485k. One truck needed a rear end, but again it was in the 300s.

I've bought probably three blend door actuators for the 04 Sierra at work. My boss's personal 04 Silverado (around 400k miles) has been through about six blower motor resistors.

Good trucks overall, they do have their issues which seem to vary from truck to truck, but they are definitely capable of very high mileage and most things are straight forward to repair.

Never had those blend doors fail … but I tend to leave it split level year round. (probably easier in the south) … maybe that's a habit that's working … dunno … might be keeping humidity out of the carpet too

Originally Posted by mjk
Hi,

A unique opportunity may have just come up, possibly changing my direction in looking at trucks.

Looking for anything from that year (5.3 z71) that may pop out as unusual issues, compared to other years of GM in that era.

I've put on about 110k on my 01 Tahoe, so familiar with the usual - fuel pumps, Intake gaskets, window regulators, maintenance of drivetrain....

Why you you want to buy another G.M. product when the one you have has given you all that repair work in only 110 K?
I just don't understand the fascination with sub par products.

I swore I would never buy a gm product either but my 99 silverdo is just too much fun with the first year 5.3 LS engine. most if its issues have been small and typical gm. window regulators-blend doors -switches etc. nothing big in 20 years but has very low miles 87,ooo.

Originally Posted by marine65
Originally Posted by mjk
Hi,

Why you you want to buy another G.M. product when the one you have has given you all that repair work in only 110 K?

These are not subpar products. At 291k the only issue with my 2001 Suburban is an intermittent misfire above 4500rpm... Now I'm the 2nd owner so I don't have all the repair history but I drive my stuff hard and so far I've only had to change the water pump. I did also do shocks, started changing all the fluids, etc. But all the windows and AC and everything works perfectly. And now that it has new shocks it rides like a new truck. The steering is getting a little sloppy due to a work gearbox but it's still safe and enjoyable to drive. I can't say enough good stuff about GMT800 trucks. This is my first after a dozen GMT400 trucks... Which are very solid but the interior, ride quality, brakes, and handling are such an improvement I'd never go back.

Last edited:
2001 and 2004 are fairly similar chassis wise. My main concerns would be rust, the transfer case pump, electrical gremlins, and the 4L60E automatic transmission. If all that is good and you can get it for a good deal, then I don't see why not. Trucks tend to hold their value.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
T-case pump rub would be at the top of the list & I would correct that first.

What's this issue? I've never heard of it.

My 05 with 200k has needed a water pump, EVAP vent solenoid, fuel pump sending unit (rusted out and started leaking), one wheel bearing, both lower and one upper ball joint. Driver's door hinge pins (it gets opened probably 60-80 times a day).

Issues that haven't been fixed yet : steering shaft clunk, broken speedometer and airbag light (front sensors bad).

It also could use front shocks soon.

The windows get opened a lot of times per day in the warmer months and no regulator issues so far... But the driver's window is getting a bit rattly over bumps when it's partway down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by marine65
Originally Posted by mjk
Hi,

Having those minor problems in a 19 year old truck is not sub par. And those specific issues seemed to be fixed by the mid 2000s. Mine has original intake gaskets at 200k 15 years, fuel pump was only replaced because of corrosion from salt, and the windows have held up fine.

This platform is known to be one of the longest lasting trucks out there, that's why people still buy them for decent money even though they're 14-21 years old now.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by clinebarger
T-case pump rub would be at the top of the list & I would correct that first.

What's this issue? I've never heard of it.

The transfer cases on many of the GM trucks of this vintage have an oil pump inside the case that can move around and rub the bottom of the case. Usually this can either rub through the case causing a leak and if left alone long enough empty all of the fluid from the case and damaging the transfer case, or it can cause damage to the pump. There is a fix for it that prevents this from happening but it requires splitting the transfer case. I helped a buddy do it on his Silverado. It wasn't hard to do just kind of a pain wrestling with the transfer case.

Back