Ordered some VW 0-20 for my Beetle

I got the VW oil, guess it is Mobile 1, along with the filter and doo-dads. I BELEIVE it is made by Mobile 1, should be GTG anyway... I received a P.O. from a member here advising to change the oil by sucking it out from the top, and the filter is also on the top too. Any good tips before I start this by any members here, who might have done this?

No real tips as its beyond easy. I start sucking the oil first and check other items on the car and crack the filter housing and give it time to drain so there is no mess.

Haven't worked on a beetle, but I worked on a 18 A4 with the B-cycle engine that should be extremely similar.

The bottom cover is a nightmare to remove (it uses multiple types of fasteners). I highly recommend buying an oil extractor and removing the oil thru the dipstick tube. The green one from Harbor Freight works great. I think VAG intended for the oil to be extracted since the dipstick tube is extremely wide and fits the widest extractor tube very easily.

88F1FC88-D795-4B06-961D-F8A66FCDEC77.jpeg

It's the first motor oil (VW508.00) i've used in a GDI that doesn't turn black in 3k miles (I'm at that point with my Passat).

Capture.PNG

Originally Posted by wemay
It's the first motor oil (VW508.00) i've used in a GDI that doesn't turn black in 3k miles (I'm at that point with my Passat).

Yours has a dipstick?

Yes, thankfully the '19 Passat 2.0T has a dipstick.

Interesting. The A4 I serviced had a "plug" in the dipstick tube. The oil level was monitored electronically.

OK then,, I will go get an extractor. Glad to hear the oil is good too, I think it is Mobile 1, not really sure about this... The car now has approx. 2650 miles on it, and it's getting ready for a change.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Haven't worked on a beetle, but I worked on a 18 A4 with the B-cycle engine that should be extremely similar.

The bottom cover is a nightmare to remove (it uses multiple types of fasteners). I highly recommend buying an oil extractor and removing the oil thru the dipstick tube. The green one from Harbor Freight works great. I think VAG intended for the oil to be extracted since the dipstick tube is extremely wide and fits the widest extractor tube very easily.

Well, I learned something tonight.

Noticing that the Audi A4 in your photo has a longitudinally-mounted inline-4, and, knowing that Audi A4s are front or all-wheel-drive, I was confused.

How weird! A long-ways-mounted engine, with front wheel drive? I wasn't aware Audi used this strange setup, that places the engine so far forward.

Similar to the 2016 WRX I had, but that car has a 4-cylinder boxer engine that's only 2 cylinders deep. CG lower, and not nearly as far forward.

I've seen this before, but not often. Acura did this with the Vigor/2.5TL, which used inline-5 engines, and I've also seen an '80s FWD Saab with a slant-4 mounted longitudinally. Now that was an odd bird. But, I always thought those Saab 900s were really cool-looking cars! Very unique design. And attractive.

You are lazy man:)
Yeah, every time I have to change oil in Tiguan, those numerous screws that hold protection give me nightmare. But I hate extractors.
VW should learn from BMW.

I thought I was going to dread the oil change process due to the underside cover but it really wasn't bad at all.

I thought I was going to dread the oil change process due to the underside cover but it really wasn't bad at all.

It is not when you do it once or twice a year. I do it once a year, so not big deal.
However, it would be better if they did like BMW where you have small "doors" that you open and you have access to oil pan screw.

Originally Posted by edyvw

It is not when you do it once or twice a year. I do it once a year, so not big deal.
However, it would be better if they did like BMW where you have small "doors" that you open and you have access to oil pan screw.

Absolutely, yes.

Originally Posted by edyvw

You are lazy man:)
Yeah, every time I have to change oil in Tiguan, those numerous screws that hold protection give me nightmare. But I hate extractors.
VW should learn from BMW.

I think the MB ones are the easiest to remove.

I think the A4 cover might be different than the one on the Passat. It had multiple bolt sizes. Someone on audiworld made a diagram of the different fasteners.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/at...de-turbo-muffler-delete-diy-bellypan.jpg

The under cover on the Jetta isn't bad. just 2 different size torx IIRC.

Some VW owners manuals specifically say not to use an extractor.

The Passat, IIRC has two torx sizes. 8 small and 4 large.

This is correct, at least on my '13 Passat TDi. I'm old school, I want to pull the plug and drain it to make sure I get all the old oil out that I possibly can. Hate topside extractors....

My plan on my next OCI is to remove the bottom cover and cut a small "flap" just for the oil drain plug and install a Fumoto valve. Should make life much easier after that!

Originally Posted by john_pifer

Noticing that the Audi A4 in your photo has a longitudinally-mounted inline-4, and, knowing that Audi A4s are front or all-wheel-drive, I was confused.

How weird! A long-ways-mounted engine, with front wheel drive? I wasn't aware Audi used this strange setup, that places the engine so far forward.

Similar to the 2016 WRX I had, but that car has a 4-cylinder boxer engine that's only 2 cylinders deep. CG lower, and not nearly as far forward.

I've seen this before, but not often. Acura did this with the Vigor/2.5TL, which used inline-5 engines, and I've also seen an '80s FWD Saab with a slant-4 mounted longitudinally. Now that was an odd bird. But, I always thought those Saab 900s were really cool-looking cars! Very unique design. And attractive.

The old Dodge Intrepid and its sister cars were like that too. Audi has done it since the beginning of time.

Originally Posted by john_pifer

Audi seems to like mounting their 4-cyl engines longitudinally while VW tends to mount transversely. Not sure why. This particular A4 was a FWD ultra model which is why it had the B-cycle engine.

Back