Tell this geezer why I need gigabit Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by mk378
If you watch a lot of Internet TV you can reach the ISP's monthly gigabyte usage cap. The higher plans have a higher cap or no cap. Nobody really yet needs the speed but a lot of people are buying the high speed plans because of that.

Thank god Spectrum has no caps. Reason to be grateful I guess, hope it lasts.

No caps but I just got my spectrum bill and the monthly charge went up ten bucks!

Last edited:
Why do you/ we need more speed and ram and disk space - and continue to need it on a ever increasing basis?

High res pictures and sound were never a part of early computing. Everything was text based.

As kids we spent hours hacking a strip poker program to get a glimpse of a poorly drawn picture because we couldn't actually win at the poker game. It was a big deal to us to see that picture rasterize (amazingly tame by todays standards) there were only a few picts in total...

High resolution, high bit depth, high framerate video requires an unbelievable amount of bandwidth both UP and DOWN in a world full of moving images vids and communication even 5G won't stand long.

This is an infinitely upward spiral.

UD

We have 3 people using two 10Mb/s wireless connections. We do work stuff , school stuff, video conferences, HD video, browsing, etc. No issues. You could easily get by wiith a 25 Mb/s connection, $20-$30/mo at Xfinity. It can be a little slow for updates, but it is otherwise just fine. If you want 4K video you need more.

The killer is always the upload speed. If you are not transmitting large files or doing online backup , you won't have issues.

Last edited:
I can stream movies on 3 TVs and surf the internet all at the same time with a 20 Mb/s internet connection. I can't imagine why anyone would need 1 Gb/s internet service.

I upgraded to Comcast gigabit internet here in Jupiter, FL. Previously, I paid for 30, but got 70 with speedtest. The reason for the upgrade was simply that it was cheaper than the 30. I also had to upgrade to a Motorola gigabit router, purchased at Best Buy.

There is no question it's faster. 4K Youtube videos start immediately now, where as before I'd always have to wait a while. TV streaming is absolutely sharper, both on my X-box One and via the DTV box.

While I supposedly had enough bandwidth to stream 4K movies/videos before, the new gigabit internet results in an obviously and consistently better picture. Something was lost in translation before, and I really can't say (don't know) where the degradation was.

Speculation: The picture was only as good as the slowest data transfer rate would allow, and "if" the rate was not ideal at any point in the transfer, the picture quality would degrade and stay there for quite some time.

NOTE: While it's billed as gigabit, Comcast does note that the speeds will be under 900. I typically see 720-860 download and 40 upload. 5-11ms ping.

Last edited:
I have AT&T gigabit internet. As far as speeds are concerned, it's all about what you are doing at home. If you are streaming videos at home or working from home and doing video conferencing or constantly sharing your screen, you want the fast thing you can get.

However, if you are not doing any of that, it's not needed.

Lastly, I had cable internet before fiber internet came available and I hated it because of the constant outages. As for fiber internet, outages occur, but they are very rare. With that being said, the up time is main advantage of fiber internet above everything else.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I can stream movies on 3 TVs and surf the internet all at the same time with a 20 Mb/s internet connection. I can't imagine why anyone would need 1 Gb/s internet service.

You need it for real time services.

You are downloading pre processed pre compressed movies and look at extremely low bit rate, low bit depth and usually low framerate TV with 2 channel of low bit rate audio accompanying it.

It takes hours of processing time to crunch down each movie to deliver that to you.

IF you are interested to see what kind of data rates full resolution video takes we make these tools you can use to take a look at what kind of data rates and storage you will need as well as a snapshot if what your computer can actually do if you are working on full res images.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/aja-datacalc/id343454572

https://www.aja.com/products/aja-sy...h3r4zvO7fVAcmom8WbctsqX5eOBoC23QQAvD_BwE

UD

When higher data speeds, larger storage devices, and more memory becomes affordable, silicon valley will figure out applications that makes them mandatory..

Originally Posted by Donald
We are putting in 10Gbs Ethernet adapters at work.

Yeah those 10 gig links are to connect hosts, enterprise networking gear etc.

For home use, you do not need gigabit WAN connection.

We have spectrum 300/10 service, and I had to play with QOS quite a bit to get the latency down. My clients on my home network are limited to 20/5 to get low latency required for IPTV without buffering.

I had some kid from ATT going door to door a few weeks ago trying to sell me their fiber service which I do not need.

If I could get a 50/10 line for $25 I'd buy it tomorrow.

I pay $44.99 for 300/10, locked for 24 months with Spectrum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JustinH

We have spectrum 300/10 service, and I had to play with QOS quite a bit to get the latency down. My clients on my home network are limited to 20/5 to get low latency required for IPTV without buffering.

I had some kid from ATT going door to door a few weeks ago trying to sell me their fiber service which I do not need.

Is the $44.99 a stand alone price, or one third of a package including land line and entertainment services?

Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by JustinH

Is the $44.99 a stand alone price, or one third of a package including land line and entertainment services?

Standalone, I use ooma for phone and rabbit ears and a few IPTV providers for TV.

Comcast keeps upping my speeds with no change in price.
It was their 50/5 plan, then it "upgraded" to 60/5, then 65/5, now it is 75/5 with no change in price (actual speeds are 90/5 most of the time).
These speeds are more than enough for my families of 4 (Roku on 2 tv's, 2 tablets, 4 cell phones, 3 computers, an x-box), and see no need for us to pay more for speed we will not use.
I use between 400 to 600 GB per month, so not worried about caps either (but still don't like them).

I know there are those that use a lot more, and that is fine, but I just don't have a need for it, so I don't pay for it.

My mom used to have 0.75/0.25 (yes, almost dialup speeds) at her place in the country, and it did about 90% of what she needed to with no issues. Only when she wanted to watch some videos did she have issues (I showed her how to pause it to let it buffer).
She now has 100/5 (the slowest (and best value) she could get with a TV bundle) and does not know what to do with all that speed.

It's not so much the speed but the data cap offered for that speed.

For example in my area I had two choices with ATT Fiber (100MB or 1GB). We exceed the data cap for ATT100 (100mb) almost every month because our viewing time split 70/30 between streaming and TV.

Yes there was Comcast cable, but we ditched them over reliability issues.

Last edited:
The last Exadata installs I did were with 40gb Ethernet adapters, FWIW

They have QDR Infiniband inside the cabinets and 40gb Ethernet to the customer network.

You don't. Don't get this geezer started on bottled water or pop. See grocery carts loaded down with both products. We are geezers for a reason eh geezer?

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

I don't have a data cap, and have never had any issues with this lowly internet speed with anything I need to do with it.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

I don't have a data cap, and have never had any issues with this lowly internet speed with anything I need to do with it.

Sounds like you're in a good place. We had your speed with Comcast but the connection was not stable and consequently we could not work from home (**As a condition of my employment I must be able to work from home.**)

The pricing and packages offered for these services are tailored for the local market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back