Mobil ones email response to bad oil filter.

Mobil one emailed me back about the filter I cut open and posted recently the warranty claim says mann+hummel at the top. I thought they were made by fram thoughts?

Screenshot_20200401-145644_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

Fram & Champ used to be the same company, if your filter ends with the letter "A" it's Mann & Hummel. If it just ends with a number it 's a Champ one. Bad thing is, cutting the filter open generally voids the warranty, they usually want it back in one piece.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Fram & Champ used to be the same company, if your filter ends with the letter "A" it's Mann & Hummel. If it just ends with a number it 's a Champ one. Bad thing is, cutting the filter open generally voids the warranty, they usually want it back in one piece.

So, the M1 209A I bought to c&p is a Mann&Hummel?

Here's a pic and date code

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by bullwinkle

So, the M1 209A I bought to c&p is a Mann&Hummel?

Here's a pic and date code

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not sure when the changeover occurred-maybe Champ did make the "A" ones for a while? Too many questions with these, if I wanted to buy an unknown manufacturer filter, I would stick with Premium Guard!

This apparently bears repeating...

Originally Posted by Hannibal
Lots of guessing here and straight up inaccuracies...

M1 has made the switch to M&H. This happened late last year. However...all the product out there at the moment is Champ Labs product. I'd expect you'll see M&H product soon on the high volume numbers like M1-110A, etc.

The "A" suffix denotes the 20k filter. It is different from the older 15k filters in that it has a more robust gasket to help the extended drain interval. Other than that...they're the same. No one knows what the M&H filter will have yet because there have not been any on the shelf yet.

The reason for the change from Champ to M&H is ultimately unknown.

M1 has made the switch to M&H. This happened late last year. However...all the product out there at the moment is Champ Labs product. I'd expect you'll see M&H product soon on the high volume numbers like M1-110A, etc.

The "A" suffix denotes the 20k filter. It is different from the older 15k filters in that it has a more robust gasket to help the extended drain interval. Other than that...they're the same. No one knows what the M&H filter will have yet because there have not been any on the shelf yet.

I'm not so sure they aren't out already. The OPs inquiry to Mobil1 was responded to with a document letter head: MANN-HUMMEL Purolator, regarding his failed ADBV.

Originally Posted by wemay

I'm not so sure they aren't out already. The OPs inquiry to Mobil1 was responded to with a document letter head: MANN-HUMMEL Purolator, regarding his failed ADBV.

Also this was a M1-110A filter. It also depends on how fast merchandise is moving at what locations.

Bad news is-if Champ made it, I can't believe Mann & Hummel is going to do anything for him, it wasn't their issue nor filter. Probably the Champ ones cost a little more, hopefully the Mann M1s hold up better than some of their others do!

Originally Posted by Micahmcmeen
I thought they were made by fram thoughts?

There's a whole lot of speculation here, that gets repeated over and over, with little to no proof, about this sort of thing. In this case, the physical filter you're dealing with was made by Mann & Hummel. It does not mean they make all Mobil 1 filters either.

Why would you think fram made them?
They used to be made by Fram/Champion Labs, when they were the same company. When Rank Group bought Fram a few years back, Champion Labs split off & they made the M1 filters. Apparently the Mann + Hummel evil empire has assimilated them now... 🏴‍☠️

Back