Internet speeds in current climate.

What with everyone at home and using social media/streaming etc. How is everyone's internet doing. I notices a delay in my computer the last couple days. Nothing major but noticeable. It is normal today. 115 megs down ans 12 megs up this morning. Anyone else?

I pay for 100Mbps down and I'm still getting around 120mbps down, about 6.5 up. I am running Cloudflare's DNS servers though, the Comcast supplies ones would act a bit wonky at times.

My service is advertised (and always met) 30/30. A speed test just showed me as 20/20.

The problem, though, is not always in the speeds you can get on a test: When streaming or video conferencing, as many of us are doing with family, friends, work and school as well as our entertainment, it is at least as much the *consistency* of the connection as much as what speeds you can register at a test. The test can send (and measure) data speeds with a lot of hiccups and still "look" fast; but with a video conference you have to be able to send and receive a LOT of data packets consistently.

I pay for 100 Mbps down / 20 Mbps up and that's about what I get. I haven't noticed any degradation in recent days.

it is at least as much the *consistency* of the connection as much as what speeds you can register at a test. The test can send (and measure) data speeds with a lot of hiccups and still "look" fast; but with a video conference you have to be able to send and receive a LOT of data packets consistently.

Agreed. Bufferbloat is a common issue. If your router has QoS, setting it up properly can go a long way to alleviate bufferbloat.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/17883

LOL my usual 15-17mbps DL and 2.5mbps UP is acting better than normal. We use a 4G LTE system out here in Rural Florida because there is no other option. My system uses T Mobile towers and has been working much better than normal thanks to the lifting of data caps and bandwidth increases from Cell companies.

I'd kill to have 100+mbps DL speeds at my house!

Cable broadband subscribed at 100 Mbps down, 10 Mbps up. $24.99/mo no tacked-on fees with Wide Open West. Steady at about 80 - 90 Mbps most of the time, including current environment, through my Zoom 5370 docsis 3.0 modem. Just two of us in the household, not a lot of use actually.

Those speeds are measured with client being connected via 5 ghz Wifi router. Not sure if wired ethernet direct modem-to-client connection would free up some speed. But that is the true way to measure speed, however 5ghz wifi has the bandwidth to give a pretty reliable snapshot of your speeds. I am running an aging TP_Link AC59 dual band router, the predecessor to their Archer A7, so it may well be trimming off a few Mbps since it's not the most efficient dual band router out there.

I spent nearly a whole day several weeks back optimizing my network. I moved my wi-fi router around the house and found a sweet spot for both the 2.4 & 5 ghz bands. Now, our phones and tablets are running faster on the less congested 5 ghz band and our laptops & desktops are hardwired via long ethernet cables tidily running to the basement & study.

Getting the advertised 100 down / 10 up all day now.

Using AT&T LTE hotspots, and speed is down to around 10Mb/2Mb. Before it was 2-4x faster. The connection is very stable for work VPN or video, so no real issues. Our Tmobile connections run around 30-40/5, but we have a lot less data, so sticking with AT&T for now.

75mbps down, so far so good. I was thinking about downgrading last year but missed the deadline, this speed comes in handy with all the video conferencing (3) at the same time.

I have AT&T gigabit fiber. Haven't seen a real change in speeds. Usually I am limited by my wireless setup, anyhow.

Mine seems fine. Today was 361 down and 10 up. Upload speed varies widely on my Comcast service and varies from about 8 almost 20.

Originally Posted by Mainia
Originally Posted by Skippy722
I pay for 100Mbps down and I'm still getting around 120mbps down, about 6.5 up. I am running Cloudflare's DNS servers though, the Comcast supplies ones would act a bit wonky at times.

Try OpenDNS and see if it is faster.

https://www.opendns.com/

Test it here, at GRC

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Cloudflare edged out OpenDNS when I was originally picking a new one, but we have moved since I've done that test.

Paying for 250/15. This is on WiFi, not plugged in. No complaints.

speed test.JPG

Better than normal, 15 down 0.2 up.

Satellite internet, it frequently hovers at 5 down.

The 0.2 up is in the normal range, but I have seen 1 a couple times.

It's terrible, but currently the only option.

Last edited:
Back