5w50 Motorcraft in 6.2L Raptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never read anything really great about any of the 5w50 oils on here. I've personally used 5w50 Mobil 1 and Castrol quite a while back (because they were a classic car formula with extra zddp) in my high mileage 1976 350 Olds and it didn't really seem happy with either one (more valve train noise and a bit sluggish). Most of the past 10 years I've used 0w40 or 5w40 hdeo or Euro oils. Lately I switched to Xw30 oils because I discovered it actually likes anything 30 weight.

I'd maybe consider Mobil 1 Euro formula 0w40 in your truck. That's what I'm using in my Caprice (my winter beater) and it looks to be a really good oil and goes on sale often.

I'm not a fan of Motorcraft oils in a high powered engine, the oil just doesn't hold up to the abuse. Personally I'd run something like Schaeffer or Amsoil.

Just me,

49.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
This wide viscosity range has Shear City written all over it.

it does. by 5k it will be a 5w30, but that also means i coud theoretically stretch my changes a little farther too. a 5w30 will shear to a 5w20 (so i've heard anyways) so that doesn't scare me too bad, im actually pretty sure thats why Ford specifies it in their performance engines.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
I'm not a fan of Motorcraft oils in a high powered engine, the oil just doesn't hold up to the abuse. Personally I'd run something like Schaeffer or Amsoil.

Just me,

49.gif

i wasn't overly impressed with any of the tests i've seen done on schaeffer's, and Amsoil while better wasn't /much/ better than PuP but it's really hard to find around here.

Just me,

49.gif

Hold up in what respect? With the 5w-50, obviously Ford has tested it internally in their highest performance offerings, as that's specifically what it was developed to protect. If it shears, they would have discovered that during testing and have determined it acceptable.

Does all the extra viscosity index improvers that are causing it to shear out of grade not degrade the oil faster? There are oils that are better at staying in grade which would probably be better for it, am I wrong?

I guess it would be fine if you're doing short oil changes anyway but if you want to leave it for 5k+ and run the [censored] out of it, why not pick something better?

It won't hurt anything. Go ahead and run it.

When you run out of your buddy's stash, go with something that's less shear-prone.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
You aren't treating the Raptor like you would the wife's Corolla. Run it hard?..... keep the OCIs lower.

by stretch it out we're talking like from 4k to 4.5-5k i'm not shooting for 15k mile OCI's

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Just me,

49.gif

Hold up in what respect? With the 5w-50, obviously Ford has tested it internally in their highest performance offerings, as that's specifically what it was developed to protect. If it shears, they would have discovered that during testing and have determined it acceptable.

I've seen so many UOA's where it shears down that I'd never run it personally. Look at the UOA's over at Svt forums for example.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Just me,

49.gif

I've seen so many UOA's where it shears down that I'd never run it personally. Look at the UOA's over at Svt forums for example.

I'm not contesting the fact it shears, simply that this behaviour may be perfectly acceptable to Ford as long as its wear performance remains where it needs to be.

I would run it and if it shears down, who cares? You said it ran 5W-20 most of it's life. Is 5W-20 the factory recommended viscosity?

Motorcraft is good oil despite what some others have said. I've run it in my 14 Mustang GT since new with no issues. My fiancée has run it in her 2007 Mustang GT since she got it in 2010 with no issues and she ran the Motorcraft 10W-30 diesel oil in her 2003 Super Duty for 14 years with no issues.

Those are nice trucks. I have a friend with a 2011 with the 6.2L but I'm not sure what he runs in it.

As a side note, I'm just down the road from you in Aurora, MO.

Originally Posted by wtd
I would run it and if it shears down, who cares? You said it ran 5W-20 most of it's life. Is 5W-20 the factory recommended viscosity?

Motorcraft is good oil despite what some others have said. I've run it in my 14 Mustang GT since new with no issues. My fiancée has run it in her 2007 Mustang GT since she got it in 2010 with no issues and she ran the Motorcraft 10W-30 diesel oil in her 2003 Super Duty for 14 years with no issues.

Those are nice trucks. I have a friend with a 2011 with the 6.2L but I'm not sure what he runs in it.

My concern is actually with it being too thick at first created VCT issues. However it has been in the truck for 500 miles so far, and I'm seeing no issues. I'll drop it at 3k and get a UOA from blackstone ran.

Small world! I'm actually in Marionville, if you ever see a black raptor rolling around town, that's most likely me!

Originally Posted by KlenFrappe379
My concern is actually with it being too thick at first created VCT issues. However it has been in the truck for 500 miles so far, and I'm seeing no issues. I'll drop it at 3k and get a UOA from blackstone ran.

I've never understood that concern. If thicker oil causes VCT issues then it should happen the first time the engine is started cold. The difference between a 20-grade and a 30-grade in operation is minuscule compared the massive difference each one have between ambient and operating temperature - especially in the winter.

Originally Posted by KlenFrappe379
Originally Posted by wtd

Small world! I'm actually in Marionville, if you ever see a black raptor rolling around town, that's most likely me!

I really don't think you will have any issues running the 5W-50. The mustangs running it have VCT as well.

Yes Marionville is not far. I will keep my eye out for a black Raptor.

Only decent photo I have of it recently. I keep it clean and take care of her even though I run her hard. So far it looks like 200k isn't a sweat in these things.

album-72157713807145822

Last edited:
I really don't think you will have any issues running the 5W-50. The mustangs running it have VCT as well.

Yes Marionville is not far. I will keep my eye out for a black Raptor.[/quote]

That's my thoughts on it as well, it's a big engine with some heavy parts, I can't see the harm in a heavier motor oil since ford seems to specify it in their high performance engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back