BMW 328D?

Found a 2015 diesel bmw 3-series with about 50,000 miles on it. It looks to have been very well kept. I've been keeping an eye on a used smaller/fun car as an alternative to DDing our truck. Small diesels have always attracted me, and these 328d models do tend to show up on the used market. does anyone here have any experience with these? I've seen generally on Google that by 2015 the engines themselves are pretty well sorted, but there are complaints about emissions - enough that I've unscheduled the planned test drive to go back and think on it some more. The $3.5k cost of an extended warranty prices it out of my interests. They're asking around 18,9.

thoughts?

A co-worker has a 2016 (I think) 328D and she loves it. Personally I'd have a hard time buying a modern diesel, the emissions systems are just too complex and expensive should you have issues.

Test drive a 2015+ 328i with the 2.0T and 8 speed ZF. The timing chain issues were fixed by then and they have a ton of low end torque with excellent fuel economy without the potential expense of the diesel emissions system.

Total outsider here but the combination of a used diesel and a BMW sets the potential repair bill alarm off.

There's a reason the extended warranty is $3.5k...

diesel fuel currently costing a much as a dollar more a gallon is a good reason to walk. Then there is used BMW potential for expensive problems.

Rod

Great hwy cruiser once it gets up to speed. Personally I found the throttle lag to be a turn off. Emissions system is fairly well sorted but a non functioning DEF system could resort to an eventual no-start situation.

My impression of it after driving many diesels over the years new and old is its the second worst performing small TD just behind the For C Max diesel. The term turbo lag and C Max are synonymous to the point of being dangerous, the BMW was just like stepping on a wet noodle in comparison to some others, thirsty bugger too for what it is.
The best by far were the VW/Audi TDI and the Toyota Venza TDI, both are flawless good performers, great fuel economy and punch way above their weight.

It would be tough to choose the VW or the Toyota, looks wise for my eyes the VW has it but the Toyota was excellent. Both accelerate faster than a toupee in a fan factory with no noticeable lag. The BMW was a bit of a dog, 0-30 it would be hard pressed to beat a 10 speed push bike (slight exaggeration).

Originally Posted by Trav
My impression of it after driving many diesels over the years new and old is its the second worst performing small TD just behind the For C Max diesel. The term turbo lag and C Max are synonymous to the point of being dangerous, the BMW was just like stepping on a wet noodle in comparison to some others, thirsty bugger too for what it is.
The best by far were the VW/Audi TDI and the Toyota Venza TDI, both are flawless good performers, great fuel economy and punch way above their weight.

It would be tough to choose the VW or the Toyota, looks wise for my eyes the VW has it but the Toyota was excellent. Both accelerate faster than a toupee in a fan factory with no noticeable lag. The BMW was a bit of a dog, 0-30 it would be hard pressed to beat a 10 speed push bike (slight exaggeration).

The potential repair costs aside, this post would kill it for me! That kind of lag would drain ALL the fun out of a car. If you want a small fun DD get a Miata! It's a blast. Makes me smile every time I get in and throw the top down.

The 2014 bmw went 0-60 in 6.8 seconds according to car and driver. Again it is not the diesel rocket ship the 335D was previously-but like the old adage "it is more fun to drive a slightly slower car fast than a fast car slow." I owned a 2011 golf tdi and loved the torque on Diesel engines and likes the hatchback utility-but I love the way rear wheel drive cars handle and ride in the highway.... I hate torque steer!!
If you decide to get one-bargain and haggle hard....Diesel cars are not an easy sell especially with the current absurdly low gas prices.... be a connoisseur and get one you love... for best price... don't settle with this purchase!

Google M57Y extended warranty to see the types of problems that are costly, and some can be very expensive. Ive had customers need an entire fuel system from the pump breaking down and sending metal through the tank and lines. Luckily it was covered, but it was about 16k for the repairs. Both pumps, lines, injectors, filters, TANK. Weve also seen issues witht the alternator bolt shearing off and is a total nightmare to get out. Glow plugs and modules are common maintenance, and carbon cleaning is another nightmare job. Read the fine print on the warranty contract, they probably wont be covering things like the SCR or DPF, or ad blue tanks that fail, all big money.

Guys - thank you. Between confirmation of emissions concerns, and feedback about both its diesel and gas motors, that confirms what was in my own head. Sometimes it helps to just bounce it off of others for a sanity check. I've cancelled the intra-dealer shipment.

Threads like this are what make BITOG great!!!
cheers3.gif

If you ever decide to go with a used 3er I suggest an F30 with the B48 2.0 gas turbo. It's a nice compromise between performance and economy- unless you are power hungry like me...

Originally Posted by meep
Guys - thank you. Between confirmation of emissions concerns, and feedback about both its diesel and gas motors, that confirms what was in my own head. Sometimes it helps to just bounce it off of others for a sanity check. I've cancelled the intra-dealer shipment.

I know more about Mercedes diesels than BMW, but they also suffer the same problems as emissions got tougher over the years. The older models were actually better before DEF. But that's all relative. The real problem is that very few were made and not too many people know how to fix it. Lots of times there would be posts in the forums where there was no answer because not that many had it. I'd just stick with a gasser if you want to have some fun.

My father in law has a 2015 or so, 328D and I drove it for few days and I was not impressed. The engine has quite a bit of vibrations and noise and the lag is very noticeable. I like the transmission though, very responsive and quick shifting.
Can't say I was impressed by driving dynamics either. Maybe it's the heavy engine up front, maybe it's just tuned that way in the diesel from, IDK.

Personally I would go with the gas version.

Reliability wise who knows, however my FIL did admit to filling it up with gas, I think it was about half the tank, and DRIVING. He only realized once he got home. So, you're thinking he drained the tank, NOPE. siphoned out few gallons, put a bunch of Lucas diesel treatment, drove it to the gas station and filled it with diesel. He kept driving and topping off with diesel fuel and Lucas treatment.
This was over a year ago and no problems thus far. So at the very least, the system appears to be quite durable and tolerant to fuel contamination.

Originally Posted by NO2
BMW's are too expensive to keep running. Pity, very nice cars otherwise.

I think, when buying a BMW (and certain other marques), you need to be aware that it will be a different experience from buying a Toyota.

I haven't owned one. But I've heard they're rewarding to drive. But they're not known for being especially reliable, and will require more maintenance. I think you just have to be willing to accept that tradeoff. And many BMW fans here on BITOG seem to be willing to accept that.

I do feel bad for those buyers who aren't aware of the above. But, as they say, Caveat Emptor...

I remember the secretary where I used to work. Her son destroyed a new Hyundai by running it out of oil. He let them
repossess it so his credit was destroyed. He found this really clean lower mileage BMW really cheap. She asked me if he
should buy it since I like BMW's. I told her to run way far away. Well, they bought it. Failure after failure after failure.
Not all of it was the cars fault, some people should not own any German car.

He finally had a friend steal it. Insurance fraud is a poor decision. I heard he served some weekends in jail and had to make restitution.
I told her not to buy it, but somehow it became my fault.

I left that company right after that. She was planning to get me fired anyway. So what happens to them now is still probably
my fault, just nothing she can do about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NO2

If only someone had told me that 37 years ago...
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by NO2

If only someone had told me that 37 years ago...
smirk2.gif

Statistics with a small sample size does not work. Granted, there are people that are much more compatible with a German car than others. There are people that at not compatible with any car. I am glad you have had a good experience. I have with my motorcycles, so far. BUT they do have well known issues you must stay on top of.

Rod

Originally Posted by meep

Spend that money towards a new Camry. Dealerships are ghost towns and desperate for a sale.

Back