Thicker oils are coming back to USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Railrust
I think most of us knew this was going to happen, if it does pass, etc.

That cafe regulations would be abolished under the current administration.

I think this will help the automotive industry a great deal, I really do. This quest to meet corporate average fuel economy has hurt the reliability and longevity of vehicles. Be nice to see that scaled back some.

Thank goodness! +1 x 3

Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by Railrust
I think most of us knew this was going to happen, if it does pass, etc.

That cafe regulations would be abolished under the current administration.

I think this will help the automotive industry a great deal, I really do. This quest to meet corporate average fuel economy has hurt the reliability and longevity of vehicles. Be nice to see that scaled back some.

Thank goodness! +1 x 3

+1 x 4

I don't see it. I believe many of the auto manufacturers have advised they will stay the course of the more stringent regulations.

There is no way this is going to change much if anything. They are making their vehicles to be sold in every country, every state, theres no way they wont make one that passes CA or similar emissions, considering they buy almost 15 million cars a year. Think of the time and money they spend engineering these cars and emissions controls, implemented them on a production line, built tooling etc. Think of the time it wil take for a cat manufacturer to make cheaper cats, and then ship 5k to a production line and then have them built, in the middle of all of this. They said this will save $1k per car on average, but if anything it only helps the manufacturers, they most likely will not pass the savings on to us. Now I would be all for less stringent on diesels, the DEF is a huge problem on almost any car that its installed on. If we still with DPFs and not balst with the Ad Blue, theyll still stay pretty clean. I still have no soot on my GLs tailpipes at 103k.

Last edited:
I don't see it. I believe many of the auto manufacturers have advised they will stay the course of the more stringent regulations. Time will tell.

Audios is correct.

Yeah, I mean the US market be [censored], customers want fuel efficiency even if gas is Plenty of vehicles doing AWESOME with 0W-20 and i'm sure same will/can be said for 0W-16.

US wants to reminisce about the golden days where we set the standard and basically did whatever we wanted...now we do that at the peril of missing out on the global market.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by vw7674
."....54 mpg average by 2025"?
I did not know Obama planned for us all to be riding motorcycles.
Cool.

Easy to hit with Hybrid, BEV. I would guess that at the time diesel was also a consideration but VW ruined it for everyone.

I recall at the time that there was some malarkey in the calculation. It assumes E10 thus all gas cars get 10% mpg... because it was only going by gasoline consumed per mile. Thus E85 vehicles got really good mpg--and flex fuel vehicles were assumed to only be running on E85. Something like that. It was not equivalent to vehicles getting better than 50mpg in both city and highway cycle. But I can't find that article anymore (it's only been 10 years) so maybe I'm wrong on this memory.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
door hinge oil hoarders won't be happy. Lots of doors to lube before buying real oil
grin2.gif

lol.gif
+10000000000000000000

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Doesn't matter.

Europe, Asia, and California are driving higher FE and by extension higher emissions standards. With all that money being invested there's an extremely low probability that automakers will invest additional funds into power plants which are more polluting.

On a side note 10w/15w-X passenger oils disappeared back in the 1980's.

In Europe and the rest of the world we still have plenty of 10W-40, 15W-40, 15W-50, 20W-50 PCMOs
smile.gif

Some really interesting ones even like Syn-Blend 15W-40 PCMO's that are ACE A3/B4.

Last edited:
I remember cranking up my 454 powered 74 Monte Carlo in the 1980's on -20F mornings with 10W40. The oil pressure gauge might sit on the 80 PSI pin for a minute of so if it was really cold. It felt stiff for the first few miles. When it was that cold, the windshield did not usually frost, air too dry. So I would let her warm until the oil pressure fell to 70 or less and then drive easy until the choke was fully open. That could take a few miles.

It did not blow up

Rod

I remember when living in Maine for 10 years in the 60s and 70s trying to start my 77 Nova 305 and it was painful with temps in the -10 to -25F. I used Valvoline 10-40 and that engine was very slow to start and when it did I could hear every lifter in that engine clacking. That's when I changed to M1 5-20 and all was well from then on. I use M1 20wt oils today because they perform so well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tig1
I remember when living in Maine for 10 years in the 60s and 70s trying to start my 77 Nova 305 and it was painful with temps in the -10 to -25F. I used Valvoline 10-40 and that engine was very slow to start and when it did I could hear every lifter in that engine clacking. That's when I changed to M1 5-20 and all was well from then on. I use M1 20wt oils today because they perform so well.

That's because it was a 305 and it didn't make enough power to pump oil (let alone get out of its own way).

28.gif

What I find even more interesting is why so many people seem to have a phobia about thinner oils...

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
laugh.gif
it seems that you Will be driving again with 10wX & 15wX in your sumps...

https://m.slashdot.org/story/369028

The new rule, written by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Transportation, would allow vehicles on American roads to emit nearly a billion tons more carbon dioxide over the lifetime of the cars than they would have under the Obama standards and hundreds of millions of tons more than will be emitted under standards being implemented in Europe and Asia.

Your conclusion that we are going back to thicker oils is illogical. Even under new regulations average gas mileage must still improve by 2025, just not as much as previously mandated. Efforts to minimize frictional losses are not being discarded because they contribute to reaching fuel consumption standards.

Originally Posted by grampi
What I find even more interesting is why so many people seem to have a phobia about thinner oils...

I can see why, considering most "eco" type cars seem to be moving to a heavier oil, like a 5w-40 and such. Gotta be a reason their not running a 0w-16 in them.

It'd be nice to get rid of the diesel nonsense while we're at it. A modern high tech diesel without the DEF, DPF, etc stuff would be exceptional.

It will be interesting to see if the move to more power per unit displacement results in more oils as you speak.

"Tiny" engines making "big" power may use such oils, while more relaxed, legacy designs may stick to using thinner oils so manufacturers can use them and amortize the engineering and production costs for a while longer.

Ultimately, what we'll see in the marketplace is largely driven by what consumers want. Probably moreso than government action.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Originally Posted by grampi

I can see why, considering most "eco" type cars seem to be moving to a heavier oil, like a 5w-40 and such. Gotta be a reason their not running a 0w-16 in them.

I find it interesting the concerns about using thinner oils for CAFE requirements when low tension piston rings in many vehicles are causing more oil burning than ever before. 1 quart of oil every 800 miles is somehow justified to get .5 better mpg? Do they test tail pipe emissions before or after the vehicle is burning that much oil? What about the mining for precious metals to replace all those clogged cat converters?

I think driving an econobox that gets 35 mpg and burns no oil would be better for long term emissions compared to one that gets 35.5 mpg but burns 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back