Raybestos rotors - Element3 vs Specialty Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm due for a brake job on my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Raybestos products are easily obtainable in my area, so I'm going with that brand. I'm debating which Raybestos rotors to go with:

Element3 (part number ends with FZN)
Front: https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/catalog-part-search.html?PartNumber=780868FZN
Rear: https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/catalog-part-search.html?PartNumber=780867FZN

Specialty Truck/SUV
Front: https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/catalog-part-search.html?PartNumber=780868
Rear: https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/catalog-part-search.html?PartNumber=780867

Thoughts? I'm in Canada with pretty harsh winters by the way.

Thanks!

I'm hearing a lot of good reviews for the Element3. Well respected Bitog member Trav swears by them. I will be using them for my next brake job.

I put the Element3 pads on my truck and they've been great. Usually I get some squeaking with semi-metallics by now but these are so far quiet as a mouse. They were priced well, too. Stopping performance is just as good as the semi-metallics I used last.

I bought Element 3 rotors and pads for 2 of my vehicles.. couldnt be happer.

on Rockauto the truck/suv are cheaper.. i think.

I cant tell a bit of difference in either as far as the specs..could be the same rotor in a different box?

I used them on the 2013 outback a month ago.. they were good.
full set of rotors and pads.
I would buy again.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'm hearing a lot of good reviews for the Element3. Well respected Bitog member Trav swears by them. I will be using them for my next brake job.

I have used their new calipers quite a bit, they are superior to remans by a long shot. My experience with pads and rotors is less but positive, they are definitely the best bang for the buck. The stuff is all Chinese made but the quality seems very decent.
For $200 new rear calipers, rotors and pads for MKIV VW is a steal, the anti corrosion coating holds up well in the salt belt on all the parts. On most Euro stuff I use Textar, Pagid, ATE, Brembo and mostly Zimmerman, Pagid or EBC rotors. Yes they are better but 2 rotors alone can cost more than the whole setup.

The pads that everyone raves about is one I cant find any love for, Akebono, add Centric and Powerstop any most chain store pads to that. Advics makes a good pad too but mostly for Japanese. Bendix was very good but the quality went down, probably not Bendix made anymore just a rebox deal with little better than chain store crap.

49.gif

The FZN rotors are their regular rotors with the rust coating. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8826380&jsn=11

The truck/specialty rotors are supposed to be turned a little better and have better metal. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3284916&jsn=7

So the specialty rotors are the more premium rotors. I use those on cars that are known to warp their rotors like Honda Odysseys, Nissan Titans, etc...
I use a lot of the FZN rotors as they are usually cheaper so easier to sell and most will not notice the difference.

When I studied this stuff last summer, I came up with the same thoughts that Jimzz just posted above. In an OCD conundrum, I boldly went where I never have and installed EBC coated plain rotors and Ultimax II pads. I was hoping to achieve a non Chinese, maybe better rotor. But, EBC COO (U.K. vs. China) has come into question lately. With only 6 months on them, time will tell how they compare to others.

I have the Specialty Performance, which features the same Grey Fusion coating as the Element3, on the front axle of my CX-5 and couldn't be happier. Compared to the R-Line that I'm running on the rear axle, the difference in rust resistance is night and day. Given that the runout spec is tighter on the Specialty, that'd by my vote - at least for the front axle.

Go with the Element3 pads. I've had them on 2 different vehicles, best set of aftermarket pads I've ever used IMO.

Definitely go with the coated rotors. I've had good luck with Raybestos.

installed raybestos specialty rotor on my rav4 for the front. Got them from rock as well. I was debating between the same two rotors you listed too. They've been in for a month and no issues. I did the bed in procedure even though raybestos says they're premium coated rotors don't require this. They're paired with akebono proact pads.

Good to have it confirmed that the Specialty Rotors are coated. In the past, I think there was speculation because numerous online pictures showed no coating or partial coating.

I have the EHT3 pads and rotors on a family member's 08 Tundra. No complaints. Coated rotors are awesome. A must for us in the rust belt.

Also used the pads only for a pad slap on my 4Runner. So far so good.

Centric premium rotors and pads used to be my go to. I've convinced myself and converted to Raybestos EHT's if I have the time to order and wait.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Good to have it confirmed that the Specialty Rotors are coated. In the past, I think there was speculation because numerous online pictures showed no coating or partial coating.

They are only coated on the hat and the vanes.

Originally Posted by painfx
Originally Posted by doitmyself

They are only coated on the hat and the vanes.

This varies rotor to rotor. Also the coating type varies; black, gray or a combination of both.

Originally Posted by RamFan

This varies rotor to rotor. Also the coating type varies; black, gray or a combination of both.

I've found that to be the case as well.

Also based on the "coated" rotors I've used which were parts store premiums which may have something to do with it (Napa, CarQuest, AA), all the coating does is keep the rotors prettier for a little longer. It did nothing for longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back