Who waits for the RPMs to settle before ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by bachman
Originally Posted by Miller88
Originally Posted by 2010Civic
With a manual transmission I don't mind as much taking off with the revs up.

I believe that is the reason the pilot bearing failed on my Focus at 70000 miles. That car would race up to 2500-3000 RPM on cold start and stay there for 5-10 minutes on a cold morning. If I was in a hurry, I would just drive. The problem is, the engine would force itself to stay at 3000 RPM. So if I pushed in the clutch, it would race up. Every.Single.Shift. At least I could drive half way to work without touching the gas pedal.

That was also a lot of wear on the synchronizers inside the transmission, but mostly the pilot bearing and throwout bearing. That car was ridiculous with the high idle, but it had to maintain it's ULEV rating and that meant the cat had to be immediately lit off and kept to temperature.

My Forester is a lot better. It'll idle at 2000 for a few minutes, but if it senses the car starts to move, it'll drop the idle down to normal.

That would suck. I'm surprised anything in the mech interface lasted 70 k miles.
Nobody should feel forced or hurried to drive away with an engine racing at 2500 or more. That was a problem that should have been dropped in Ford's lap (dealership service) if it was always that way or purchased new.
With modern engines or newer cars/trucks etc... I'd consider 1500 to 1700 rpms even for a min or more to be excessive unless some particular design or manual specifies.

Yes, that Focus has a defect or issues with the idle control at cold start. Why he wouldn't complain is beyond understanding.

I brought it back to a few different dealers with that concern. It was a 2011 that I drove off the lot brand new. Each time I was given the same answer, it has to do that to keep the catalyst up to temperature. Traffic jams were the worst. Just creeping along in traffic, it would start to bump the idle back up and I would have to pull off to the side and let the thing figure itself out.

In the Focus I don't wait ever, when I shut it off I'll leave it in the gear I need to use to get moving as sometimes it takes some force to get it into 1st or R when its around freezing or below. In the Subaru I'll wait a bit if I have the time, mostly for the CVT as the trans behaves a bit weird protecting the belt and pulleys when everything is cold. My wife just jumps in and goes though, so I don't know why I bother...

My car is parked outside, so if it's cold enough for frost on the windows, my car runs until the windows are defrosted before I drive off...

My mom's 1985 Accord SE-i would rocket to 2200 rpms and slowly decline to idle over the course of about 5-6 minutes. If you were in a hurry, you had to grit your teeth and put it in Reverse, which always resulted in a jolt. Can't imagine that was good for the torque converter. Most of the time, we would just wait, but if Mom was late for church, we were off to the races with the engine trying to overcome the brakes while backing down the driveway. Honda said it was normal, and who were we to argue, since all cars that came before it had automatic choke that we could kick off after 30 seconds.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
My mom's 1985 Accord SE-i would rocket to 2200 rpms and slowly decline to idle over the course of about 5-6 minutes. If you were in a hurry, you had to grit your teeth and put it in Reverse, which always resulted in a jolt. Can't imagine that was good for the torque converter. Most of the time, we would just wait, but if Mom was late for church, we were off to the races with the engine trying to overcome the brakes while backing down the driveway. Honda said it was normal, and who were we to argue, since all cars that came before it had automatic choke that we could kick off after 30 seconds.

Wouldn't think it hard on the TC as much as every gear downstream. TC is good at slipping, after all.

I use E100 on my cars and both are manuals.

On the Fit i wait until the RPM drops to
On the Kadett i have to wait longer, maybe 4-5 min. Since it has the single point injection and flat intake manifolds, and being a neat ethanol car, i have to wait until the intake warms up and the A/F mixture can be properly heated. It has electric heating on the manifold and also has the cooling passing through the intakes. The electrical heating stops when the cooling reach its operating temperature.

I wait but its not based on engine RPM. Just gut feeling and how cold it is. I wait longer with automatics than sticks. I like to know the ATF has been able to circulate and gain a little temperature before moving. Remote start helps a lot in getting that 60 second warm up time done.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I wait

x2
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back