Shaving costs during this time

Just looking forward on how to shave cost for the next six months or so to lessen the financial impact. My wife had her hours cut in half, and my job ( working form home currently) is questionable this week whether we'll take salary cuts or be laid off,

Already have lowered the thermostat a bit, use less lighting, etc. to lower the utility bills by a few cents.

Calling the cable & internet provider to either restructure our current package or see what other discounts may be applicable during this time.

I though this was going to be a post about the expense of shaving off one's beard during these times.

Word has it that masks seal much better on a clean shaven face.

OP has your wife filed for unemployment yet? If not she needs to. Unemployment is not just losing your job, but cut in hours and/or pay can also qualify. So sign up sooner than later as so many are signing it the benefits may be delayed. Same for you as well if you get anything cut. If not sure if you qualify just sign up to get reviewed.

I think Cable/Satellite will be a big loser in this time frame. Younger people rarely get cable now and many older people are seeing its something they can live without or have to live without. I got my mom an antenna and a roku box. She gets all the local channels and uses roku for streaming.

Its going to be really difficult for many people, esp those without a safety fund and stable work. My household income is very good and our jobs stable. But we still have very basic talk only cell phone lines, no cable, only buy used cars, etc... We live way below our means but thats not so easy for others.

The one thing about not working is that you don't have to shave!

Seriously, if no one is working or is only part time, you might only need one car. Only insuring one car, and having no payment will help. Drop any TV service, move down to one phone, no memberships to anything, no restaurants. Even start looking around the house for things you can sell. You'd be surprised how many things you could.

I think you'll find if you sit down and really make sacrifices that you can live on a lot less than you do now. Painfull, but necessary some times.

Are you renting the equipment from the internet/cable provider? If you use your own, the payout seem to be at 6-13 months.

Next, cell phone bill. Check the best network in your area, than find the best reviews for the NVMO (second party provider) that uses that network.
unless very good deals on cellphones, get them slightly used on swappa and similar.

Buy computers/laptops from Dell/HP business (better long-term quality) refurbished or costco (1 extra year of warranty).

Make do with what you have.

Make sure you have at least 6 months of expenses available in cash/money in bank/money markets/others.

Make sure both you and wife have at least some cheap term insurance just in case, so the survivor doen't have to let the house back to the bank.

Check any subscriptions/online or not. Cancel un-necessary.

Keep healthy and in shape. No smoking (a no-no in insurance world), less drinking.

Keep cars/vehicles reliable. You need them in Michigan. Don't skimp on tires. They keep you on the road.

Start checking for available similar positions in IN, OH and IL.

Would your house be a good renter place? could you rent a smaller place for the same $$ (mortgage + utilities + taxes)

Call all utilities and mortgage bank if any discount/forbearance programs in place. Please understand forbearance means you don't pay for 2-3 months, bu they expect the full lump sum amount at the end of 2-3 months, unless their specific program is they tack the months at the end of your mortgage (you mortgage = end of XX 20XX + 3 motnhs)

What other skills do you have? something you are good at it. There are some professions/skills that sometime are recession proof.

Glad people are mentioning about cutting the cord with cable. Huge expense that I am super glad I got rid of years ago. Antenna for local channels and Fire Sticks/Roku for streaming. Keep your head up and be safe.
wink.gif

My parents taught me that when the times are good , save up for when the times are bad.

Originally Posted by Bighorn2500

Already have lowered the thermostat a bit, use less lighting, etc. to lower the utility bills by a few cents.

Make sure all cracks, window sills, door frames are caulked. All outlets or switches on exterior walls, open the plate and insert a foam insert to stop the air loss. (at any Ace/HomeDepot/Menards/Lowes/Wally).
Take any old pants/sweaters/socks, fill them with fluff stuff and use at windows as cool stoppers.
Go all around the house and find the cool air spots.
DO NOT caulk out any window shut!!! use the sticky foam or the clear plastic-blowdryer sheet kits
Use doubled up curtains during the night.

Sit in one room for most of the day. Extra layers help.

Keep the thermostat at least 55 -60, vacuum+clean for dust and change air filters when necessary.

This thread will be locked soon even though its relevant to all of us.

You can talk about what is the best door knob or how to bake a cake but cannot talk about a topic that is affecting us all.

To answer your question.. my mom and dad taught me the concept of budget when i was a small child.

Food
Shelter
Bills
Savings
Entertainment

Whatever you cant afford take from the bottom until you reach the top. If you want to afford more.. work more/spend less.

I buy my motorcycle tires on line, and found a local shop to put them on for 25, and I have stuff to do it my self if needed.
Gear bargains plenty on Amazon and Ebay.
Youtube videos cover all normal maint.
Car was old, went to liability only policy.
I freeze refilled bottles of water to keep my lunch cold and drink
Only internet, and over the air. Not that much on cable I need to watch.

What else matters?

No one mentioned the elephant in the room.

Don't go browsing on Amazon.

Definitely cancel cable TV.
Make a grocery list based off recipes you will make and stick to it.

In the next 2 months I don't think the calls for buying window sealing treatments, foam ,etc will save enough money to pay for the initial cost. But over the long term sure.

Originally Posted by pandus13

DO NOT caulk out any window shut!!! use the sticky foam or the clear plastic-blowdryer sheet kits.

What do you mean by "caulk out" ?

Originally Posted by SevenBizzos
Seriously, if no one is working or is only part time, you might only need one car. Only insuring one car, and having no payment will help.

I question selling anything right now, I mean just who is buying, and what is the competition? I can see dropping insurance on something that won't be driven, but I don't know what car values are doing right now. Maybe the very bottom end of the market (beaters) is rising in value, but I can't imagine anything else not dropping like a rock.

Don't make any unnecessary trips in the car to reduce fuel cost.
Now that people are home, their eating up a storm. Watch your food cost.
We've all heard of the "Freshman 15"?...1st year college students putting on 15 lbs.
Now there is the "Corona 15". People staying home and eating, drinking beer etc.
Watch your health & money.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by SevenBizzos
Seriously, if no one is working or is only part time, you might only need one car. Only insuring one car, and having no payment will help.

I question selling anything right now, I mean just who is buying, and what is the competition? I can see dropping insurance on something that won't be driven, but I don't know what car values are doing right now. Maybe the very bottom end of the market (beaters) is rising in value, but I can't imagine anything else not dropping like a rock.

OP lists a 2018 Durango in his sig. If he paid cash for it and owns it, then he could just park one of the vehicles. If you are "seriously" getting squeezed and losing a significant amount of income, any vehicle payment should be the first thing to go. If it's me, I'm going: food, utilities, and mortgage (which might be negotiable). Anything beyond that is on a "can afford" basis. I don't know the severity of OP's situation. I just know that I'm not choosing between housing and food and a car payment, that's all.

Back