Bumblebee Ahi tuna poke

This was on sale at the supermarket a few weeks ago for $4 or $5 so I tried it. Over half pound of sushi grade tuna and sauce packet. I added a diced Kumato tomato to it. Tastes very good and fresh. No fishy smell at all. Would be nice if they included some toppings that usually make up a poke bowl. Low fat, only 300 calories, high protein. The few poke places around here want $12 for a bowl with half as much fish, so it's good deal when on sale.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Never heard of tuna poke, what is it?

I do like ahi tuna though. Aldi sells a frozen pkg of Ahi tuna steaks, think they are 12oz for about $4. Those are about THE best fish steaks I've ever eaten, I prefer them over a nice beef steak even.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Never heard of tuna poke, what is it?

I do like ahi tuna though. Aldi sells a frozen pkg of Ahi tuna steaks, think they are 12oz for about $4. Those are about THE best fish steaks I've ever eaten, I prefer them over a nice beef steak even.

How do you cook them? I want to try it.

I like tuna also. Consumer Reports has suggested to eat Albacore tuna rarely if ever due to mercury. The only tuna that is OK is the chunk light which is a different fish. (and not as good tasting).

Yeah, I believe Ahi/sushi tuna is bigeye...which is delicious but has highest content of mercury. Adult men probably limit to 1 serving per month. Pregnant women/children should avoid entirely.
Anyway I don't think the OP was looking for a public service announcement...
So thanks for the recommendation, looks great.

Originally Posted by Donald
I like tuna also. Consumer Reports has suggested to eat Albacore tuna rarely if ever due to mercury. The only tuna that is OK is the chunk light which is a different fish. (and not as good tasting).

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize there was such a large mercury concentration difference between albacore and chunk light.

Here is a handy guide of various fish by mercury concentration level, for those interested:
https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/files/walletcard.pdf

Originally Posted by Donald

Not true eat all the Albacore tuna daily and you got a healthy diet. Asians been eating seafood for centuries without any mercury problems, western media hype maybe Consumer Reports is favoring the beef Industry.

Originally Posted by Mamala Bay
Asians been eating seafood for centuries without any mercury problems,

Industrial mercury has only been a significant environmental contaminant since the last century, no?

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Mamala Bay
Asians been eating seafood for centuries without any mercury problems,

Industrial mercury has only been a significant environmental contaminant since the last century, no?

I don't know but they seem to go after ocean fish which always was high in mercury centuries ago? Ocean fish always was now freshwater fish not so...

Back