Thicker oils are coming back to USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
laugh.gif
it seems that you Will be driving again with 10wX & 15wX in your sumps...

https://m.slashdot.org/story/369028

The new rule, written by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Transportation, would allow vehicles on American roads to emit nearly a billion tons more carbon dioxide over the lifetime of the cars than they would have under the Obama standards and hundreds of millions of tons more than will be emitted under standards being implemented in Europe and Asia.

You know this will be a future lock don't you ??

lol.gif

Nothing really wrong with a 10w or 15w in many many parts of this continental United States...

A 5w in my opinion is a good idea but certainly not a necessity even in my area... Of eastern Virginia... Coldest I have seen it... January 21, 1985 day after a good snowstorm and one of the biggest Arctic outbreaks in the last 40 years... got down to -12°F that am... The coldest I have witnessed since.... January 2017 where we got down to -7 in New Kent county.... Even in both cases a good 10w would still be all right.

Other areas north and west a 5w would be more advisable... Even in area west of Charlottesville it can be a good amount colder there even when it's cold where I am at... Same thing is true in Maryland... West of the Allegheny front it can be quite a bit colder than the areas east of that... Coldest temp here in Virginia was on that January 21, 1985 at a place I have driven up to... Mountain Lake.... -34°F... At 3,700 ft+ of elevation west of Blacksburg Va. Places like that or Burke's Garden in southwest Va can get extremely cold and much colder than areas just to the southeast of those locations. Like Roanoke can be 15-20 degrees warmer even in cold weather vs Mountain Lake or Burke's Garden... If I lived in beautiful Burke's Garden... I'd run a 0w just in case it got super cold... Burke's Garden by the way is amazing area to see... Surrounded by mountains on all sides... Farms with pastures and very nice homes dot the high elevation at 3,600 ft "valley" floor.

Last edited:
Was it mentioned if things were actually on track with lofty MPG goals?
If not, the other claims might be off.

I've started engines with Dino 20W-50 at sub freezing temperatures without issues ( not super cold, but around -5C ), just letting the engine warm up maybe 5 minutes before driving away ( gently ofcourse ).
And as we all know on Bitog, the ultimate performance standard on engine oils is that "it didn't blow up"

Originally Posted by bbhero

lol.gif

I am Just mentioning....that you Will prepare yourselfs to stock 10w & 15w instead of that "oily water" you are using these days
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Kamele0N

lol.gif

I am Just mentioning....that you Will prepare yourselfs to stock 10w & 15w instead of that "oily water" you are using these days
smile.gif

Yeah.. don't know...

I'd be all right with a 10w...

I like a 5w30 typically... And ran 5w20 that was called for in my 08 Ford Fusion 3.0 L motor...

That's my bet too.
wink.gif
Anyway, I'm well stocked with a nice stash of 0W30 and 5W30 oil for their triumphant return. lololol

door hinge oil hoarders won't be happy. Lots of doors to lube before buying real oil
grin2.gif

I guess I can see why a heavier oil will be needed for some applications. With the HP & Tq with many of these new engines and their total capabilities, a thicker oil may be needed.

Doesn't matter.

Europe, Asia, and California are driving higher FE and by extension higher emissions standards. With all that money being invested there's an extremely low probability that automakers will invest additional funds into power plants which are more polluting.

On a side note 10w/15w-X passenger oils disappeared back in the 1980's.

Last edited:
."....54 mpg average by 2025"?
I did not know Obama planned for us all to be riding motorcycles.
Cool.

Originally Posted by vw7674
."....54 mpg average by 2025"?
I did not know Obama planned for us all to be riding motorcycles.
Cool.

Easy to hit with Hybrid, BEV. I would guess that at the time diesel was also a consideration but VW ruined it for everyone.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
laugh.gif
it seems that you Will be driving again with 10wX & 15wX in your sumps...

How is the winter rating a "thick oil"? That's the second time I've seen you make that statement.

Which is thicker, a 10W-30 or a 0W-40?

I think most of us knew this was going to happen, if it does pass, etc.

That cafe regulations would be abolished under the current administration.

I think this will help the automotive industry a great deal, I really do. This quest to meet corporate average fuel economy has hurt the reliability and longevity of vehicles. Be nice to see that scaled back some.

......as I proudly look at my jug of GTX 20W50
laugh.gif
Yes,I'm a thickie.

10W30 always seemed like the perfect balance. Thin enough and at the same time thick enough with no compromises.

The rollback rules are for auto fleets to reach an average of 40MPG. Not a whole ton of vehicles currently available with 40MPG that the collection of posters on this board would want to drive.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Thicker oils don't impress me. Run what the engine is made for.

My thought exactly...nothing wrong with 0-20 or 5-20...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back