misty air coming out of air hose even with water separator?

So where i'm at it's not uncommon to have 80 percent humidity most of the time, which makes me wonder if its just the humid air we have. If I have the blow gun attached and press it all the way down I can see what looks like slightly foggy air coming out of the outlet. It's not anything that's going to get your hand wet or anything like that, but what causes this? I'm going to assume that the water separating filter is probably saturated with the 80 percent humidity, so that's as good as it gets in my area? Or is that assumption wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
How is your system plumbed? Good high capacity Desiccant Dryer Systems can run $600-$700, Refrigerated Air Dryers with high CFM ratings can run several Thousand.

Your compressor probably doesn't aftercool each stage, Manufacturers have gotten away from it to cut costs....Even the big names in the industry like Quincy. Though they probably offer it as a $$ option.

My dual aftercooled Kellogg American doesn't push much water into the discharge, But I live in a dryer part of Texas. I have my main feed line "whip" well above the compressor which helps water stay/drain back into the tank where it can be drained off each day. I also have a drop leg trap near that to catch water during those rainy/humid days.

Duty Cycle plays a big role here.....The more you run the compressor, The hotter the air temp will get, The more water will be made.

You can make your own condensing unit, Like this.......

Do you use the compressor a lot? Check the tank drain like mentioned above?

It would be odd to notice any JT effect with a blow gun, but you will with a die grinder or the likes if you run it long enough. The case on them can get ice cold due to JT effect.

Need more info on setup but in general you Can NOT take water out of hot air..

Originally Posted by JTK
Do you use the compressor a lot? Check the tank drain like mentioned above?

It would be odd to notice any JT effect with a blow gun, but you will with a die grinder or the likes if you run it long enough. The case on them can get ice cold due to JT effect.

No it will still do it with the existing air in the tank when the compressor hasn't even cycled on that day.

I just crack the ball valve open for a few seconds to drain the tank of water. An empty air compressor doesn't do me much good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being from South Texas I have run into the same problem. One thing my dad did that may help is plumb in a use tank where the air infeeds from the bottom and you draw air from the top. Also include a drain valve, then put an air dryer between the use tank and your hose. Make sure to use a big tank to allow the water to separate, my dad used an old 3000 gallon propane tank.

You guys really drain your tank after every use? Waste of power. That's like the same as running the ac inside your house for 6 minutes straight. Air is air imo, just crack the drain valve once the tank is cooled down.

Is this air hose run right off the tank and it should not be or do you have it plumbed off the tank and how many feet. Is the separator away from the tank.

I could always put it close by the hose reel. That is about 50ft away from the compressor. The compressor is in another room, so that's why their is a big distance.

It would be helpful to have one at point of use. To get rid of it completely will take a few §§

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
You guys really drain your tank after every use? Waste of power. That's like the same as running the ac inside your house for 6 minutes straight. Air is air imo, just crack the drain valve once the tank is cooled down.

I don't think anyone is completely exhausting the air out of the tank, I just drain the water off the bottom every morning before I fire it up, Then go around & pop the traps.

Back