Tacky additive in bar and chain oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been researching what the additive in 30 SAE tacky oil that makes it hang on to the chain when it's whooping around at a couple thousand feet/sec. and am wondering if the vegetable oil alternatives have this "anti-sling" additive(s) in them as well.

To my knowledge, this additive is some sort of crosslinked rubber-ish polymer that must be made of hydrocarbons to be so compatible with the oil base lubricant.

Is there any anti-sling in the alternatives and does anyone know what the additive(s) is/are? I am trying to understand the mechanism for how the anti-sling additive works instead of just being thick enough to hold on to the bar and chain. Anyone have any experience or knowledge?

Originally Posted by Chris142
Stp?

Similar but not the same. The old STP contains an OCP that is a VII but with a different chemical formulation than does a tackifier.

A tackifier and an OCP VII is a copolymer solution of ethylene and propylene. The ratio of ethylene and propylene determines if the final solution will be either a OCP VII or a Tackifier.

Hydrocarbon chemistry is Pretty cool.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links and info guys...definitely on the right track.

Any knowledge what the tackifiers are? I know polyisobutylene (PIB) was a big one back in the day, but I'm not sure what they used to cross link it since I can't see how PIB itself can be crosslinked.

I'm trying to increase the string and cling propensity to avoid the misting that was mentioned in the other posts without increasing the viscosity too much (or at all in a perfect world).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back