Cheaper than dirt price gouging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Standard business practice in a market economy. The price is at the equilibrium of where demand and supply meet. It even goes the other way, too, sometimes.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by hatt
High price IN STOCK ammo is a lot better than low price OUT OF STOCK ammo.

That is what I am wondering. If they left it low, they'd be out of stock.

As always, stock up before you need it.

Most of the people complaining already have a good supply of ammo and are wanting to get extra. The high price keeps them out of the market. High prices also get additional product into the market.

I'm waiting for the price of 9mm and .223 to get to $1. I have some I'm going to offload$

Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by Astro14
CTD has price gouged during every crisis.

Every crisis.

That's why I have not, and will NEVER buy from them.

SGAmmo never gouges.

Neither does MidwayUSA.

In fact, during the worst of times, Midway kept prices steady and offered ammo as it came in, first come, first served.

Great company.

Last I checked SG isn't taking orders. How does that help you if you need ammo?

They'll be back up soon.

If you can't wait a few days for ammo, your failure to plan is part of the reason for the panicking.
Okay, but how does that help you if you want to order ammo today? How do you know SG will have what you want when they do come back? How do you know you'll be on their site for the few minutes a little ammo comes available? Yeah, I think I'd rather pay more if I really needed something.

Yeah - I get it, Hatt. If you need ammo now, you need it now.

But anyone who lived through 2012-2013 and saw the shortages and price gouging, should know better than to be out of ammo...

That said, my local gun store has ammo in stock, but they're limiting it to one box of rifle, two boxes of pistol, per customer.

Which is a whole lot better than price gouging.

A whole lot better.

Originally Posted by Chris142
How can they be getting away with this? They have Federal 12g #7.5 shells in a 250 pack for $334. I'm sure there is other overpriced ammo as well.

Didn't you mean still getting away with this. CTD has always sucked!

I'm actually a bit behind--I just set up my reloading bench and am realizing I'm low on bullets. Oops. I hadn't been shooting since about the last crisis, so I'm not out of stock, but I sure wouldn't mind restocking on components.

I'm actually a bit behind--I just set up my reloading bench and am realizing I'm low on bullets. Oops. I hadn't been shooting since about the last crisis, so I'm not out of stock, but I sure wouldn't mind restocking on components.

Check out rmrbullets.com.

Thanks, will do.

Originally Posted by Chris142
How can they be getting away with this? They have Federal 12g #7.5 shells in a 250 pack for $334. I'm sure there is other overpriced ammo as well.

That particular load is a premium, light upland hunting load. We're talking quail, pheasant, rabbit and squirrel, and not at challenging ranges.
You could buy Winchester Double AA trap loads in 7.5 shot and get the same performance for less money. I can't figure out a scenario in which anyone would want 250 of those for a hunting application at pre-crisis retail -- and at that price, my mind boggles.
Don't get me wrong: I'm a big fan of Federal Premium for the upland. They make a lovely shell, and I've shot a bunch of 'em over the years. But at $33 per box (and actually less), you could be picking up hard to find stuff like plated and buffered 7.5s in 16 and 28 gauge ... and a box or two of those would be reserved for difficult (second or third) shots and take you through a season or more.
Ten of these in 12 gauge at $33 per has neither much utility or value. That's a baffling amount of a light upland load at a baffling price.
Part of me thinks they had some flats of these and stuck 'em out their during this crisis to see what they could draw for 'em.
I can't think of a single experienced shotgunner who would look at these and go, "Yep, need a flat of those, for sure."
Puzzling stuff.

Thanks, will do.

I looked but I didn't see any hardcast. Maybe I didn't look hard enough? Midway has what I want, and it's $0.13/bullet shipped, only going to get 1,000 or so for now.

Thanks, will do.

I looked but I didn't see any hardcast. Maybe I didn't look hard enough? Midway has what I want, and it's $0.13/bullet shipped, only going to get 1,000 or so for now.

They don't have too much cast. I didn't know that's what you were looking for. Midway has some good deals on hardcast. They now sell Missouri Bullets so that's nice; although it looks like that stopped selling Oregon Trail.

RMR's in house 9mm bullets are excellent. And very low cost.

Last edited:
If you need more than a box or two of ammo to protect yourself, the situation is going to be out of control for you and dozens of boxes won't matter much.

Originally Posted by Lubener
If you need more than a box or two of ammo to protect yourself, the situation is going to be out of control for you and dozens of boxes won't matter much.

Pretty much sums up what everyone that wishes they had bought more when they could is thinking.

Well, my wife has us in the best shape ever for hurricane season ! …
I need to check the gens soon …

I keep 2 cases of 00Buck, 1 case slugs and a couple cases of #8 and boxes of #2 in my closet for my 12g pump. The ammo is about 7 years old at this point and is in good condition. I keep in containers with silica moisture packets. Always good to keep reserves of ammo on hand whenever possible. Every time there's a crisis ammo is hard to buy or way overpriced. Anyone remember that .22LR fiasco?

Last edited:
I learned during the last hoarding phase.

I saw ammo prices spike and my hobby become unobtainable.

When ammo prices returned to normal in 2014, I started buying. I stopped buying a couple of months ago because, honestly, I had what I needed, and had other priorities.

I'm not worried about the hoarding now, I'm not worried about the price of ammo now, and in fact, I've even given a bit away to family members that were short.

Originally Posted by Al
People don't learn. Hording is occurring bigtime right now.

Some hoarders. Plenty want to top off or get a little extra. Every event also brings a bunch of new folks into the mix. They start a little stockpile and the supply goes down quick. Companies don't keep huge warehouses full of product to support temporary spiked demand that may occur.

I haven't bought a single round of ammo this year. I am thinking about buying a few pounds of powder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back