AC Went out in my Forester Again

Well this is the second time the AC went out. Really disappointed. It seems that I'm seeing a lot of people online and in person who are having tons of problems with 14-18 Foresters and the AC going out. I have spoke to a few people at my office who have currently or have had a 14-18 Forester and it's the same thing , the AC was constantly breaking until the car was out of the 3/36K warranty. Then they either paid to replace parts constantly out of pocket or just dealt with having no AC.

Summer of 2018, the AC stopped working. Apparently the refrigerant leaked out of the condenser (known issue) and for some reason when there is low refrigerant, the car just leaves the compressor on all the time. Ruined the compressor too. So all of that was replaced.

Spring of 2019 first warm day, I turned on the AC and nothing. Last summer it rained all summer so I never had any need for AC. Brought it to my mechanic and he diagnosed it as either a gasket or o-ring on the high pressure line had failed. He didn't touch or open anything up because it had a warranty. I wanted a diagnosis by a real mechanic in case they give me problems on it.

Doing some research, it seems that the high pressure o-rings are quite common and it requires a new high pressure line.

So next is a valve (not sure what?) that will go bad, no doubt. And of course the evaporators are also known to go bad.

I really like this car, but my big German Shepherd does not like the lack of AC when it's hot out.

Did your mechanic show you exactly where the leak is? From what you're saying it's a connection at the compressor or the condenser-- both places that were worked on last year. Or something like that. It is 2020 now and you're talking about 2019?

Last edited:
dang, i have a freind at work who was until recently driving a 2003-ish Forrester, well over 300k she doesn't know how far, as the odometer didn't work, nor did the heat, couldn't put more than 3/4 of a tank in it or the gas leaked, used/leaked oil, etc.

in fact the only thing that DID work reliably on it was the AC.....

I've read the same thread and am very relieved to say ours has been spared. We cranked the A/C for the first time over the weekend and it was very cold.

My biggest concern has always been the sub-par heat!

If it leaked out Replace the O-Rings on the discharge line both at the compressor and condenser. Also there is a temp sensor on top of the compressor that goes bad. I have been unable to find one except it comes with a new compressor.

Originally Posted by Miller88
I really like this car, but my big German Shepherd does not like the lack of AC when it's hot out.

Get a different dog.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

Get a different dog.
coffee2.gif

If your wife doesn't like your car do you get a different wife?

Originally Posted by atikovi

Get a different dog.
coffee2.gif

If your wife doesn't like your car do you get a different wife?

Never got married.
Girlfriends are much easier to replace.
They even have apps to help you choose.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by mk378
Did your mechanic show you exactly where the leak is? From what you're saying it's a connection at the compressor or the condenser-- both places that were worked on last year. Or something like that. It is 2020 now and you're talking about 2019?

AC failed a second time last year. But I didn't bring it to have it diagnosed until yesterday.

He did. It's leaking out where the high pressure line connects to the compresssor and goes to the condenser. The line would have had to come off back in 2018 when the compressor and condenser was replaced

Get a different dog.
coffee2.gif

I'm a cat person so , unless a different dog is a feline :p

Get a different dog.
coffee2.gif

I'm a cat person so , unless a different dog is a feline :p

That'll do!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by gathermewool
I've read the same thread and am very relieved to say ours has been spared. We cranked the A/C for the first time over the weekend and it was very cold.

My biggest concern has always been the sub-par heat!

The feet heat is terrible and my feet are always cold. Face heat will have you sweating though.

Wonder why they have to replace the high pressure line. I saw the thread on the forester forums about a bunch of condensers being replaced and stuff, but didn't see anything about the lines. I skimmed through everything pretty quick and might've missed something though.

The compressor in mine failed after running with no refrigerant or oil and had to be replaced. I'm guessing that's where the oring/ line was damaged.

I had no issues with my 2016 Forester's A/C in the 45k miles i owned it, other than the HVAC system in general being on the weak side. I found that to be the case with the 3 Subarus I owned (2012+). My opinion anyway.

On the other hand, my brother's 2017 Forester needed a/c work very early on while under warranty. Not sure what the issue was though.

This is what happens when a system get recharged and sent on its way and the leaks are not dealt with properly.

16 WRX with 85k. Pretty sure has an evaporator leak. Compressor was still working with low system pressure but warm air. Charged up to spec and ice cold now. Will see how long it lasts.

My 2009 Forester eventually became a real head scratcher in the HVAC dept. The compressor would either cycle on/off fairly quickly, I mean like on 5 seconds, off 5 seconds and blow ice cold air or sometimes without any known cause the compressor would run and not cycle off hardly at all and blow warmer air as if it wasn't cooling right, just barely cool air. I had it checked and charge was okay or so they said. Condensor coil was clear, not all bugged up or anything. I think the compressor was by Denso but can't remember. The behavior I described only begun to happen the last several years I owned it. I had it 11 yrs (Oct 4, 2008 - June 20, 2019) so I suppose that's not too bad, though.

Compressor runs every time but only intermittently cools is probably a sticky expansion valve. The diagnosis is clear with pressure gauges, but like any intermittent problem it has to happen while the mechanic is there.

Back