Fast 22 LR

CCI makes Velocitor ammo which they claim is fast, but I saw some utubers confirming the speed was slower than claimed.
I shoot a savage Mark II bull barrel

I am interested in a fast consistent 22lr as I want to start on mELR discipline.

mELR? = micro ELR

ELR with 22LR :)

I plan on shooting 100 to 500 yards.

I need to pick out a scope from my stash with the 20 MOA EGW base I just ordered.

Shooting out to 500 yards is pretty ambitious. I couldn't go more that about 100 yds with a .22 and 250 yds with 6 mm.

CCI stingers were the fastest I could find a few years ago.
Reload with more poweder and a lighter bullet if you want to go faster than what the market offers

I'd think stingers and other hyper velocity might scrub velocity fast and not be super stable.

For 500 yards I'd think you stick with standard velocity so as to avoid upsetting the bullet when the shock wave catches up. Unless if the goal is to just make it out to 500 yards with no real limit to accuracy. In which case, blaze away.

FWIW, 9mm can go 1,000 yards out of a handgun, so 500 yards with a 22 should be a piece of cake. Right?

Fast wont help you at extended range, you need the most consistent velocity you can find. I have never tried 500 yds but regularly shoot at 300. The heavier the bullet the better. 42 gr Eley force or Contact have both been good performers from my rifles. Force being faster requires a bit less elevation but not much and sometimes seems to be more wind sensitive than Contact. You are going to find that Lot # and ES will mean more to you beyond 150 yds than max speed.

I'd look for some quality target ammo. 500 yards is a long way for .22 pistols. Good luck.

Originally Posted by stockrex
I am working my wind calling skills and to mimic ELR shooting at my range (limited to 500) 100, 200 is most accessible.

Looking at the drift on a 22LR,it occurred to me that i could use it to practice.

500 yards too much for 22lr?

tell this guy that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK87fxlfk40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg808TYc2Ao

That's the guy that shoots iron sighted .45-70s out to like 2 miles. Like Jerry, he's not normal.

Your exercise sounds fun. However in order to learn anything from it you will need more consistency than off the shelf .22 will afford. There is no doubt that the little 40 gr will make it there, but how will you know if the wind was the reason for a miss, or just inconsistent ammo?

I watched an old guy at the local range put 20 rounds of 22 LR in 3" at 100 yds....with a Smith&Wesson Semi auto PISTOL!
Needless to say, he was not using just any old 22 rimfire ammo.

Originally Posted by stockrex

CCI makes Velocitor ammo which they claim is fast, but I saw some utubers confirming the speed was slower than claimed.
I shoot a savage Mark II bull barrel

I am interested in a fast consistent 22lr as I want to start on mELR discipline.

mELR? = micro ELR

ELR with 22LR :)

I plan on shooting 100 to 500 yards.

I need to pick out a scope from my stash with the 20 MOA EGW base I just ordered.

You'd be lucky to hit the side of a barn at 500 yards with a .22LR cartridge.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
You'd be lucky to hit the side of a barn at 500 yards with a .22LR cartridge.

Maybe true if you buy your ammo at Walmart and shoot a 10/22. Decent ammo and rifle and it's no big deal to shoot to 500. Crazy drop.

I have a brick of wolf that I will save it for later.

I will chrono Federal Match/Target.

Having FUN is the aim!

I have shot many .22 rifles and handguns over the years. The first step in any .22 is to see which ammo the gun likes best and shoots most accurately at 25 yards. I have a notebook about an inch thick with targets from my rifles and many different types of ammo. Interestingly, many of the high speed rounds barely stay in a 10" circle at that distance while regular CCI solid 40 grain will just cut a 1/2" hole in the center of the target. If I shot one of the former at 500 yards, I would have no idea where it would end up.

So start by getting 6,7 8 or more types of ammo Shoot at 25 yards and see which is the most accurate AND precise. Then try using that one at distance. Otherwise, you're wasting your time.

Originally Posted by BHopkins
A few days ago I watched a Youtube video of a guy who shot a couple dozen different 22lr ammo types through his Ruger Precision. Interestingly, one of the better performing ammo was bulk Federal Automatch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGdA2c9N_-I

Doesn't surprise me at all, some of the best .308 I've shot has been low cost Federal stuff. Their blue box is one of my favourites for an OTS round that offers excellent value.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
A few days ago I watched a Youtube video of a guy who shot a couple dozen different 22lr ammo types through his Ruger Precision. Interestingly, one of the better performing ammo was bulk Federal Automatch.

Doesn't surprise me at all, some of the best .308 I've shot has been low cost Federal stuff. Their blue box is one of my favourites for an OTS round that offers excellent value.

I bought a good bit when Walmart had a rollback and Federal had rebates. I don't look for it. Federal rifle brass isn't great for reloaders. The primer pockets will get loose after just a couple firings. Federal does make some good stuff most of the time.

My savage mark II bull barrel from 2008 shoots one ragged hole at 25 yards with this ammo too.

ok, I will just stick to this ammo, fed match

Drop - holy mother of nightforce scopes, the Fed Apps shows a 367 inch drop at 500 yard with a 200 yard zero.

I don't think my 20 MOA EGW base with 50 MOA total adjust on the scope will cut it.

Back