Inner Core Oil Filter

I have seen a post about core type like in the picture on the forum but now I can't find it. It talks about the differences between core types. Can someone give me the link of this post.

z1808724585074_c447403b1fc17007815d8a98dbf1df1e.jpg

Those louvers look pretty good. If they are barely opened up, then that's not good and something to watch for if buying filers with louvers.

Originally Posted by Kira
... Just remember, round holes good, louvers bad.
There's nothing magic about round holes. How about rectangular ones?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Those louvers look pretty good.

Agreed. I would have no problem with those.

The type or shape and size of the holes means nothing. It's the total flow capacity that matters. Those louvers likely have more capacity than the old style holes.

No need.
Just remember, round holes good, louvers bad.

Agree wholeheartedly.
I now trust Ecores more than squintsy, small louvers that are so inconsistentlyspread-batched at the factory.. If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose an overworked style of filter over one that has such small openings, that particles can get trapped and block passage-thru the media. Round hole sizes I use offer better odds at passages - for longer spells / OCIs. Not all round holes are the same. Get to know your filter choice prior, inside and out. I never met a louver design I liked.

If your vehicle engine is relatively clean (clear dipstick at 1+K), louvers should not hurt it. But if the engine oil gets black-dirty very early in the OCI, louvers are not your friend. I should never have to pack my magnifying glass, to inspect filter media openings at Walmart, before purchase.
spankme2.gif
Down with louvers.
07.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
The type or shape and size of the holes means nothing. It's the total flow capacity that matters. Those louvers likely have more capacity than the old style holes.

Many have plenty = I already posted my "perception" vs reality views once cut open. Wasted a $10 filter on some of the blind members.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
No need.
Just remember, round holes good, louvers bad.

Agree wholeheartedly.
I now trust Ecores more than squintsy, small louvers that are so inconsistentlyspread-batched at the factory.. If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose an overworked style of filter over one that has such small openings, that particles can get trapped and block passage-thru the media. Round hole sizes I use offer better odds at passages - for longer spells / OCIs. Not all round holes are the same. Get to know your filter choice prior, inside and out. I never met a louver design I liked.

If your vehicle engine is relatively clean (clear dipstick at 1+K), louvers should not hurt it. But if the engine oil gets black-dirty very early in the OCI, louvers are not your friend. I should never have to pack my magnifying glass, to inspect filter media openings at Walmart, before purchase.
spankme2.gif
Down with louvers.
07.gif

FYI... Generally speaking on this type of filter the oil flows from the outside of the filter media towards the center so the only time particles could plug up the holes in the center core is if you have a failure of the media and were pushing a bunch of garbage. At which point you have more issues other than the design choice of the holes.

IF anything the louvers enhance the flow for the intended direction (ie. Out the bottom center of the filter).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by QuangTeo
I have seen a post about core type like in the picture on the forum but now I can't find it. It talks about the differences between core types. Can someone give me the link of this post.

Oil enters these filters from the outer holes and exits through the center. Metal cores by the fact that they're metal are not prone to failure unlike say a bad batch of thermoplastic cages.

... If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose an overworked style of filter over one that has such small openings, that particles can get trapped and block passage-thru the media. Round hole sizes I use offer better odds at passages - for longer spells / OCIs ...
Ha-ha! What particles?

It would be difficult to manufacture louvers with openings so small that they trap particles that have made it through the media.

The type or shape and size of the holes means nothing. It's the total flow capacity that matters.

This.

It would be absolutely awesome if certain members could stop spreading bull.

Originally Posted by wemay
Would it be this one?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5342006/1

For 50 years we didn't need to take a flashlight or magnifying glass, to inspect filters for passages. Now louvers come out and the holes are inconsistent as heck.
NOBODY wants to carry flashlights and/or magnifying glass, while shopping for filters. It's irrelevant that more peek-a-boo louvers exist per square inch, than sufficient round holes.
Lastly, the smaller the entry (angle entry louvers are even worse), the better chance it gets plugged up.

Down with louvers. If some like them - even the majority, that's your personal business. I'm fine with someone else owning them.
Now excuse me, onto the next BITOG topic of interest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
Would it be this one?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5342006/1

For 50 years we didn't need to take a flashlight or magnifying glass, to inspect filters for passages. Now louvers come out and the holes are inconsistent as heck.
NOBODY wants to carry flashlights and/or magnifying glass, while shopping for filters. It's irrelevant that more peek-a-boo louvers exist per square inch, than sufficient round holes.
Lastly, the smaller the entry (angle entry louvers are even worse), the better chance it gets plugged up.

Down with louvers. If some like them - even the majority, that's your personal business. I'm fine with someone else owning them.
Now excuse me, onto the next BITOG topic of interest.

How can you inspect all the louvers when half of them are open to the opposite direction?

This is usually the reason people think the louvers are closed.

Originally Posted by CR94
... If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose an overworked style of filter over one that has such small openings, that particles can get trapped and block passage-thru the media. Round hole sizes I use offer better odds at passages - for longer spells / OCIs ...
Ha-ha! What particles?

It would be difficult to manufacture louvers with openings so small that they trap particles that have made it through the media.

What ... you haven't seen those filters with louvers having only 20 micron slits?
laugh.gif

Even closed up louvers will never "plug up" for a couple of reasons: 1) The oil goes through the media before it goes through holes or louvers in the center tube. 2) The louver openings would essentially have to be completely closed (like a 40u or less opening) for it to get potentially "plugged". Wouldn't matter if it did plug anyway because if all the louvers where that closed up the filter would be in total bypass all the time.

People get too wigged out over louvers. Just look down the center tube and if the louvers facing the base plate are opened up then the other louvers facing the dome end are most likely opened up the same.

How can you inspect all the louvers when half of them are open to the opposite direction?

This is usually the reason people think the louvers are closed.

If the louvers facing the base end (the ones you can see by looking down the center tube) are opened up well, then the louvers facing the dome end will be the same.

That's one of two things I found from my new filter cut.
1.) the viewing angle is skewed when filter is assembled = they were fine
2.) those in the other direction were plenty wide

Back