2019/2020 VW Jetta GLI

I'm looking at possibly getting the new Jetta GLI. I've seen some positive reviews but not a huge sample size given the car hasn't been around long. Does anyone have one? I'm currently in an Infiniti G37 which I absolutely love with some minor exceptions. The issue is that a shop screwed up a water pump repair and I've been having on and off timing problems ever since. I like the look of the Jetta and the 0% for 72 months is also very appealing. I was trying to find some research on the new ea888 engine but I can't find a whole lot. I know a few years ago there were some VW engines that burned oil but from what I've read, it seems like they've been getting better and better.

Thanks!

Are you sure you want to go from RWD to FWD? That's what I'd be concerned about.
YMMV...

I bought a 2019 GTI to get the 6 year warranty. The 2020 has a 4 year. Not sure if the Jetta is the same but I think it is. I hear the Jetta has excellent fuel economy.

the older 2.0 slow was the oil burner. 200 thou on my 2001 wolfsburg jetta basically an older GLI thats been around a while, GTI's are similar as well. now own another 2001 VAG volkswagen auto group car audi TT 225Q roadster + love it. newer cars ALL have some issues with too much technology IMO, but it is what is. if you mod your cars VAG cars are well supported + although biased VWVortex is the web site to learn! if i were in the market for anything but a drop top the sportwagen with AWD + a manual tranny would be it, but in your area FWD would be good for sure, if you drive one you might buy one as only what YOU like counts!!

Originally Posted by TCU_Adam
I'm looking at possibly getting the new Jetta GLI. I've seen some positive reviews but not a huge sample size given the car hasn't been around long. Does anyone have one? I'm currently in an Infiniti G37 which I absolutely love with some minor exceptions. The issue is that a shop screwed up a water pump repair and I've been having on and off timing problems ever since. I like the look of the Jetta and the 0% for 72 months is also very appealing. I was trying to find some research on the new ea888 engine but I can't find a whole lot. I know a few years ago there were some VW engines that burned oil but from what I've read, it seems like they've been getting better and better.

Thanks!

EA888 is in third generation. It is on the market for a looooong time. Oil consumption issues were related to Audi version EA888 but that was resolved by mid-2012. Actually most of issues are resolved around Mid-2012.
Water pump is on going issue. I had 2010 VW CC and made 116k, never had singe issue with engine. Tiguan is 2011 never had issue, but I did get recall for water pump. Some people did not make 20-30k before pump started to leak. It is not impeller (which is plastic, and some will claim that their metal impeller will solve an issue, but that is not true), but plastic housing. Only GRAF (Italian manufacturer) is offering all aluminum housing and it seems to work great.
One thing you have to check like mentioned before is FWD compared to RWD. Also, if getting DSG, get ready for more regimented maintenance.

I went from a G-35 to a Sportwagen.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm not sure what of the new Jetta is total new or redesign but engine and mechanicals if having been around a while as edyvw says, no worries. Big samplings of owner base and easy to research for ya on any nit's or concerns.

Here is a link to the older class action just to put your mid at ease, http://www.autohaus.com/audi-recall.php
Previous to that going a long ways back 15 years or more is the sludge issue with Audi and the Passat I think. 99 to 2004 or so.

Car and Driver recently had wonderful things to say about the GLI in respect to track performance. The underlying message there was the sticky tires as OEM put some performance characteristics beyond the GTI and R model hatch.
I have a '17 Golf SW 4motion (EA888) purchased as new and I wiggled in10/100k coverage just because. 2018 offered a better warranty than 2017 model year although the style I liked was available as a '17 and $5000 off MSRP.

btw , what is the concern going rwd to fwd ?

Love mine...6200 miles on a 19 GLI Autobahn. Little sunroof rattle but hearing the horror stories about botched attempts at dealer repairs I'm leaving it alone. My wife pretty much stole it from me, she even likes it except it is USELESS in even a dusting of snow. Our 17 Jetta SE was pretty good in snow, I have to assume the wider tires are the culprit here.

Unless you track or drive at the limit on the streets, I wouldn't worry about it being FWD. I really like the new Jetta too but without the red accented wheels.

What follows is the truth of ownership - not a bunch of whimsy.

Who are you? I am a M.E and parts, tooling and process designer and quality engineer who has worked for Bell Labs, AT&T and in partnership with BOSCH, Tesla and GM and Sumitomo in and advanced materials and parts development.

I have a leased 2019 S Jetta with 6m.

My overall impression is the car is a cheap piece of junk.

Most Impressive is the head unit radio and body and systems software, its genius! but hardware is not good. Radio sound quality is poor to fair, though the tuner is relatively sensitive with good rejection.

Car wont hold an alignment, steering is poor, the ride is underdamped and bottoms out even on the Interstate - full float and 4 corner crash - due to short travel. The EPS is completely devoid of feel, way over-boosted and generally abysmal.

In the rain, if you spin the tires when the boost comes on in first gear, you will get horrendous, axle snapping and banging wheel hop and axle tramp. I've worried I had broken some thing - even getting out of the gas instantly.This also happens in snow on hills just trying to make slow progress.

The Transaxle is noisy with gear and engine racket bleedthough to the cabin; the clutch is clunking on takeup.
First is geared too low and second is two tall making 15MPH corners in 2nd an impossibility. 6th gear is a over 65 MPH affair

Interior materials - though a nice, crisp and pleasing contemporary design overall; are cheap plastic and rubber. Check out the clamshell rubbermaid interior door handles. The control stalks seem like they would shatter and snap off with little force.

The Hillholder system is dangerously intrusive and has caused stalling when trying to merge into traffic from a side road.by keeping the brakes applied 1-2 seconds after you engage the clutch. AFAIK it is not defeatable.
The hill holder is absolutely criminal if you are trying to make it up a snow packed hill in the Winter, and you start slipping backward. A clutch IN and STEER move will lock the brakes, slide you backward with no control, and put you in a ditch or worse. A

Headlight coverage fair at best, reversing camera is poor and gets occluded daily.,

Side traffic warning is good.

Seats are OK for a couple hours, seating position generally fairly comfortable

Big issue is with this new VAG MQB unibody platform - which appears really rushed to market, or not really suitable for thsi bodystyle - more compact SUV focused.

Rear seating area is not as capacious as you might expect.

On the Jetta, the front cowl is very high, making for a short windscreen and over too small and narrow a windshield.
Rear trunk and package shelf is very high making for absolutely NO rearward visibility.

Speaking of the trunk. Its huge but you get NO jack or spare tire just a fix a flat can of slime and a tire pump.
And this is with Passenger Touring tires - not UHP Summer tire

Body water management is a complete fail in the trunk lid gasket well. - this area holds water and debris by quart and will even freeze up solid.

Rear doors also have held pints of water in the gasket area and have completely frozen up during cool down after evening rain.

Then there is no hand brake - just and electric parking brake. A MUST for performance FWD driving.

Brakes are overbooosted but have excellent bite and are good in general - I have not pushed them hard enough to induce fade - but i have not tried.

Yes the 1.4t in the base Jetta is pretty quick, and the 2.0 GLI BLAZINGLY quick. As I stated before the GLI has the same acceleration and 1/4 mile trap speed as a then NEW late 60's Shelby GT500 428 Cobra Jet.

But I don't think its worth the other troubles. I barely use all of the power of the1.4t and I'm a very hard and fast driver.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
Unless you track or drive at the limit on the streets, I wouldn't worry about it being FWD. I really like the new Jetta too but without the red accented wheels.

As I said above, YMMV. As for me, FWD is fine for a commuter sled like my Clubman, but I'm one and done with FWD otherwise.

Originally Posted by CincyDavid
except it is USELESS in even a dusting of snow.

Get yourself dedicated winter tires on smaller rims. Problem solved.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by CincyDavid
except it is USELESS in even a dusting of snow.

Get yourself dedicated winter tires on smaller rims. Problem solved.

Precisely.

Originally Posted by MCompact

As I said above, YMMV. As for me, FWD is fine for a commuter sled like my Clubman, but I'm one and done with FWD otherwise.

Lol, sorry MCompact, i don't know what YMMV means. Was there something about the Mazdaspeed3 you didn't like? Was it too much under-steer?

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Who are you? I am a M.E and parts, tooling and process designer and quality engineer who has worked for Bell Labs, AT&T and in partnership with BOSCH, Tesla and GM and Sumitomo in and advanced materials and parts development.

My overall impression is the car is a cheap piece of junk......

ARCO, you are probably the most 'down' on the new Jetta of anyone i've heard or read from...
Doesn't invalidate your opinion, just an observation.

Lol, sorry MCompact, i don't know what YMMV means. Was there something about the Mazdaspeed3 you didn't like? Was it too much under-steer?

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary.
I believe that I've mentioned before that one of the reasons that I went with the Mazdaspeed 3 was that it would help me with instructing students in FWD cars- we were starting to see a number of hot hatched at our events. And I figured that if I was going to go FWD I'd get the fastest one available. I cured the understeer by replacing the rear anti-roll bar with one that was 50%stiffer. However, the main problem remains- the front tires are required to both steer and transmit power to the road surface. Again, personal preference- for commuter no larger than a Civic I'll live with FWD.
But if I only had one car it would have to be RWD or(at worst) a RWD biased AWD system, preferably with a 100% RWD mode such as the GTS, E63 S, and M5.

Originally Posted by MCompact

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary.
I believe that I've mentioned before that one of the reasons that I went with the Mazdaspeed 3 was that it would help me with instructing students in FWD cars- we were starting to see a number of hot hatched at our events. And I figured that if I was going to go FWD I'd get the fastest one available. I cured the understeer by replacing the rear anti-roll bar with one that was 50%stiffer. However, the main problem remains- the front tires are required to both steer and transmit power to the road surface. Again, personal preference- for commuter no larger than a Civic I'll live with FWD.
But if I only had one car it would have to be RWD or(at worst) a RWD biased AWD system, preferably with a 100% RWD mode such as the GTS, E63 S, and M5.

Understood.

a visit to GOAPR.com will show what a simple tune can do for various VAG cars. VW + Audi likely have the most support for performance upgrades. APR among many others have parts as well as tuning for various models as manufacturers tune for longevity + warranty

Hi... I have always driven VW's. Really like them. If I were going to buy a new one I'd be looking at the 2019 or newer Golfs. In 2019, VW moved production from Mexico back to the Wolfsburg plant in Germany. Some will argue the build quality will be better. Anyhow the Golf GTI is what I will probably buy when I trade my Passat.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

My overall impression is the car is a cheap piece of junk.

Most Impressive is the head unit radio and body and systems software, its genius! but hardware is not good. Radio sound quality is poor to fair, though the tuner is relatively sensitive with good rejection.

Car wont hold an alignment, steering is poor, the ride is underdamped and bottoms out even on the Interstate - full float and 4 corner crash - due to short travel. The EPS is completely devoid of feel, way over-boosted and generally abysmal.

In the rain, if you spin the tires when the boost comes on in first gear, you will get horrendous, axle snapping and banging wheel hop and axle tramp. I've worried I had broken some thing - even getting out of the gas instantly.This also happens in snow on hills just trying to make slow progress.

The Transaxle is noisy with gear and engine racket bleedthough to the cabin; the clutch is clunking on takeup.
First is geared too low and second is two tall making 15MPH corners in 2nd an impossibility. 6th gear is a over 65 MPH affair

Interior materials - though a nice, crisp and pleasing contemporary design overall; are cheap plastic and rubber. Check out the clamshell rubbermaid interior door handles. The control stalks seem like they would shatter and snap off with little force.

The Hillholder system is dangerously intrusive and has caused stalling when trying to merge into traffic from a side road.by keeping the brakes applied 1-2 seconds after you engage the clutch. AFAIK it is not defeatable.
The hill holder is absolutely criminal if you are trying to make it up a snow packed hill in the Winter, and you start slipping backward. A clutch IN and STEER move will lock the brakes, slide you backward with no control, and put you in a ditch or worse. A

Headlight coverage fair at best, reversing camera is poor and gets occluded daily.,

Side traffic warning is good.

Seats are OK for a couple hours, seating position generally fairly comfortable

Big issue is with this new VAG MQB unibody platform - which appears really rushed to market, or not really suitable for thsi bodystyle - more compact SUV focused.

Rear seating area is not as capacious as you might expect.

On the Jetta, the front cowl is very high, making for a short windscreen and over too small and narrow a windshield.
Rear trunk and package shelf is very high making for absolutely NO rearward visibility.

Speaking of the trunk. Its huge but you get NO jack or spare tire just a fix a flat can of slime and a tire pump.
And this is with Passenger Touring tires - not UHP Summer tire

Body water management is a complete fail in the trunk lid gasket well. - this area holds water and debris by quart and will even freeze up solid.

Rear doors also have held pints of water in the gasket area and have completely frozen up during cool down after evening rain.

Then there is no hand brake - just and electric parking brake. A MUST for performance FWD driving.

Brakes are overbooosted but have excellent bite and are good in general - I have not pushed them hard enough to induce fade - but i have not tried.

Yes the 1.4t in the base Jetta is pretty quick, and the 2.0 GLI BLAZINGLY quick. As I stated before the GLI has the same acceleration and 1/4 mile trap speed as a then NEW late 60's Shelby GT500 428 Cobra Jet.

But I don't think its worth the other troubles. I barely use all of the power of the1.4t and I'm a very hard and fast driver.

What? New MQB? SUV oriented? For the love of God. I see you just ventured into VW world.

Last edited:
Back