Crazy fixes that worked

Status
Not open for further replies.
All my homegrown jerry-rig crazy fixes that actually worked always involved Vise Grips
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
All my homegrown jerry-rig crazy fixes that actually worked always involved Vise Grips
laugh.gif

Yep, too much "hang time" past raised railroad tracks in my old PowerWagon … landing broke front brake line.
Vise grips to seal the line … taped them to Dana axle … 30 miles on 3 wheel braking.

My Camry had a weird resonator box off the intake hose to quiet it down or some nonsense. The small hose that joins the two broke, so I removed the whole thing and hose clamped a Home Depot PVC plug in it. Sounds and drives the same to me...

In 2016 I got rear-ended in the Camry which totaled it. Paid $35(?) for a tail light on eBay and screwed it on with 1 nut after hammering out the corner. Passed inspection and collected my insurance check. Still on there about 30k miles later.

[Linked Image]

Two things come to mind, both on a '93 GMC K1500.

1) The oil cooler inlet on the radiator started to leak just between the collar on the fitting and the radiator. I used JBWeld and smeared some around the small crack. Stopped leaking and never leaked again for as long as I owned it.
2) The 4L60e in said GMC would shudder when taking off from a stop, and would come in and out of torque converter lockup. Both cases were likely the torque converter, and fluid drain and fill didn't help. I added a small red tube of Lube-Gard transmission shudder fix and it fixed it right up. No more shudder.

I had an '86 Volvo 740 Turbo for 18 years. The exhaust fell off of it 3 times, always on long trips.

When we lived in Winnipeg we were visiting in Saskatchewan one long weekend and on the Sunday afternoon ended up having to drive our daughter back to Saskatoon before setting off for Winnipeg, a distance of 781 Km (= 488 miles). Just as we were leaving Saskatoon, wouldn't you know it, the exhaust broke off right in front of the back resonator, just like always.

So I crawled under the car (on the side of the highway) and pulled the resonator and tailpipe assembly off and threw it in the trunk, and suspended the exhaust pipe using a coat hanger.

As it was going to be a very long drive, I had my wife drive for the first bit. I slept for a while and when I woke up we saw a terrible storm off to the side. Just as I told my wife that storms like that can generate a tornado, one came down and then chased us down the highway for (it seemed like) half an hour. There was lots of rain and hail as well as numerous stretches of trees blocking the view. But every time we had a reasonably clear view, there was the tornado again, just bigger than the last time we saw it. Eventually we pulled off into a farmyard to seek shelter but the only building was a house trailer - which seems to be a worse shelter than nothing at all. So we set off again, with me driving this time. We headed back, thinking we could get away from it but the hail and rain just got worse and worse and pretty soon we couldn't see much of anything. So we turned around again as the tornado (apparently) crossed the highway ahead of us. That was some scary day. The news said that tornado went through a farm yard and tossed grain bins everywhere and took away a combine.

But that wire hanger held the exhaust pipe up all the way back to Winnipeg. After that I kept a roll of wire and a pair of pliers in the glove compartment. I guess the car knew the jig was up because it never did it again.

I love all these stories! I've been wracking my brain trying to think of something to add, but my personal car stories are few and far between.

I can remember, way back when, having a (previous) Oldsmobile dealership fix a fuel rail recall on my Aurora, only to discover that they made the leak worse during the repair. I ended up fixing the fuel leak myself with some JB Weld and a couple O-rings. That repair held for years.

The only other band-aid I can remember is having to pull the thermostat out of my '84 Fiero 2M4 on the side of the highway to keep it from overheating. Luckily, the 'stat was located just below the radiator cap on the engine and could be removed in a few seconds. What an awful, awful car that was!

*EDIT* I did have a fun experience with a Lincoln Mark VIII once. My boss at the time had gotten one cheap from Copart, and I was out cruising in it one night with a buddy. While at a stoplight, he said "What if you just floored it on green?" Obviously, I had to find out what would happen. When the light turned green, I jumped from the brake to full throttle only to be greeted with the sound of grinding metal and sadness. As it happens, the driveshaft at one point had been worn down in a certain section, and my "jovial" acceleration had twisted the hollow shaft at that exact point until it snapped. $35 and one used driveshaft later and she was back on the road.

Last edited:
The Fiero brings back memories. I had an '87 Fiero GT 4 speed manual, bought it on eBay for $800 back in 2001. Had the car repainted fire engine red, upgraded the wheels and suspension, beautiful really. Was planning to do the 3.8 Series II Supercharged swap but some kid in daddy's pickup plowed into it at a stoplight so hard the wing ripped off and my head left a bulge in the back glass. Good thing I had it tinted because the stretch saved my neck, could have been worse.

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
The Fiero brings back memories. I had an '87 Fiero GT 4 speed manual, bought it on eBay for $800 back in 2001. Had the car repainted fire engine red, upgraded the wheels and suspension, beautiful really. Was planning to do the 3.8 Series II Supercharged swap but some kid in daddy's pickup plowed into it at a stoplight so hard the wing ripped off and my head left a bulge in the back glass. Good thing I had it tinted because the stretch saved my neck, could have been worse.

I had an '84 2M4 that had been twice on fire before I got a hold of it. One of the fires actually led to me replacing the engine (long story). I can honestly say that that was one of the worst car's I've ever driven, EVER.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
When I was 7, I poured chocolate milk on my cereal. It was great then and is still great today after 60 yrs.

laugh.gif

Just kidding & having some fun while being couped up in the house.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by walterjay
Years ago I was out on the Chesapeake bay in a small boat with an outboard engine. I was way out with no boat traffic. The fuel line broke right at the nipple going into the engine. No tools except for a rusted frozen shut pair of pliars, a fishing knife and a beer can. I tied the rusted pliars onto a line and threw them overboard for a soak. After about 15 minutes under water I was able to get them to sorta work. I cleaned up the fuel line with the knife, inserted it onto the fuel flange, and clamped it with the beer can tab using the pliars. I sweated it all the way back just hoping the gas line would stay on. It did and I will never forget that.

now that's a great story

In a 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon on an unusually irregular road in the mountains.
Fingers of land going into a lake made for a true roller coaster of grand scale.
Your phone lost signal when you were in a trough....exactly where the car decided to loose all go power.
With engine running I looked around and found no trannie fluid on the dipstick.
No phone.
THEN I remembered....the AW55-50 shifts into reverse manually not hydraulically.
I drove to aid in reverse.
Loose fitting allowed the fluid to leak.
Nothing more than a tightening and some juice got us going again.

Don't ask me if I felt like a hero. Ask me how large a hero I felt like.
Where'd I put my cape?

When I bought my 1973 Bavaria back in 1983 I noticed that the windshield wiper gearbox sounded like a coffee grinder. I ignored it until one Sunday night when I was driving back to Louisville from my fiancée's apartment in Cincinnati. It was raining pretty hard and the wipers quit on Death Hill(I-71/75) in northern Kentucky. I made it to an exit and parked under a motel's awning. I found out that if you pulled the wipers up about an inch the wipers would complete one swipe. The next morning I removed the laces from one of my tennis shoes and tied it to the tip of the left wiper then ran the lace through the side window. By then the rain had moderated considerably and anytime I needed a swipe I pulled on the lace.

On a Ford mod motor (4.6) the IAC was stuck causing stalling approaching a stop. At that time in my life I had no time to fix it. I unplugged the IAC connection to make it run better and eliminate the stalling.

Had a 1988 4wd Camry. That's right: a 4wd Camry.

The rear diff started making all kinds of noise from the pinion bearing. Knowing that I'd never, ever find a secondhand diff, I removed the rear drive shaft and drove it with the electronic center diff lock on, so it was always FWD. Or at least, while the diff lock was energized. When not powered the car would roll anywhere and everywhere - no parking brake.

We always kept a block of wood as a chock in the back seat.

Last edited:
These are some great stories. Thanks for sharing. Best I have is using a panty hose homemade belt on a convertible metro that belt broke. It worked and I got a spare belt but ran it that way for a week to see how well it would do. Didn't break I just decided to change after a week. Of course this was a very simple 3 cylinder back in the day.

Many years ago on a long trip in the 1985 Saab 900 I owned at the time, the throttle cable broke. I "fixed" it using a shoelace on the side of the road and continued on my way. I kept that car for another 7 or 8 years but never got around to replacing the cable. Must have put near 100,000 miles on that shoelace.

Originally Posted by Saabist
Many years ago on a long trip in the 1985 Saab 900 I owned at the time, the throttle cable broke. I "fixed" it using a shoelace on the side of the road and continued on my way. I kept car for another 7 or 8 years but never got around to replacing the cable. Must have put near 100,000 miles on that shoelace.

great story

In the early '90s, in the time before widespread cellphone use, and on a day with a temp of 0°F, I volunteered to drive a Mack Midliner 6 wheeler from Syracuse to Buffalo. Not my job, but it helped out a co-worker friend who needed it done. About 25 miles away from Buffalo, it started failing to rev. I thought it was freezing up, and had a few choice words for my friend, who assured me the fuel had been adequately treated. Then I got a strong odor of raw diesel, and knew I'd sprung a leak. By now it was barely running, so I pulled to the shoulder of I90. I tilted the cab forward, and could see fuel spraying from a 2" split in a supply hose. I scrounged in the truck, and came up with a roll of electrical tape and a stick pen. I had a pocket knife (always), with which I trimmed the hose, and stuck the pen tube in either end. I taped it up as best I could, and it held until I delivered the truck to the warehouse. I couldn't believe it. Today, with the high pressure electronic injection, it would never have held. But, a cell phone would have had help on the way, which evens the score a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back