If only I had more time...

Had a great project roll into the shop today: 2006 Volvo S40, T5 trim AWD with a 6-speed MANUAL. Not that it matters much, but this is a RARE beast in the Volvo world.

The clutch is shot on it, but it's only got 130k on the clock. Book time is 8.9 hours, plus about $700 worth of clutch kit and new flywheel. I don't have the time to take it on, but maybe someone here would? I can't promise anything, but I know the owner has no interest in fixing it and it could make for a great quarantine project! If there's anyone in the Minneapolis area, I could try and get more information. Again, no guarantees, but it's much too nice of a car to let go, especially given it's rarity.

*Edit* I didn't post this in the "For Sale" section because it was more an observation of a cool, strange car than a sales pitch. I hope I didn't violate and rules by inviting members to step forward and save a neat vehicle!

Last edited:
My Father had a V50 T5 AWD, it was also a 6 speed manual but that isn't so rare here in the UK.

I must admit I didn't find it all that great to drive.It was fast but it would always seem to scrabble for grip, it would be unsettled in the corners and generally didn't inspire confidence. BUT it always ran on Pirelli PZero Rosso tyres and I've since heard a few people say they aren't great at all.

My Father did 108k in 4 years in it and it never missed a beat!

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
My Father had a V50 T5 AWD, it was also a 6 speed manual but that isn't so rare here in the UK.

I must admit I didn't find it all that great to drive.It was fast but it would always seem to scrabble for grip, it would be unsettled in the corners and generally didn't inspire confidence. BUT it always ran on Pirelli PZero Rosso tyres and I've since heard a few people say they aren't great at all.

My Father did 108k in 4 years in it and it never missed a beat!

That's a cool story! I'm partial to wagon's, myself, and the thought of a V50 T5 AWD wagon just sounds awesome.

Unfortunately, manual Volvo's here in the State's are about as rare as hen's teeth. I have one other customer with a similar year S40, except it's a 2.4i FWD, manual of course. I was very surprised to see this T5 roll into my shop.

My initial driving experience in an AWD Cadillac CTS are just like yours, not confidence inspiring from the seat of the pants. In medium speed corners it understeers then grabs so hard you have to correct back to keep the line.

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
My initial driving experience in an AWD Cadillac CTS are just like yours, not confidence inspiring from the seat of the pants. In medium speed corners it understeers then grabs so hard you have to correct back to keep the line.

I found it just used to feel like it was going to understeer, yet it always seemed to grip and go around the corner.

I have the same chassis in my V40 and it's a totally different car, however I'm running in Michellin Primacy 4's. The V40 came with Michellin Pilot Sport 3's which I ditched as I found them a bit loud, they were a great fast-road tyre though.

The V50 was a lease car with a full maintenance option. The lease company would always put what the cars left the factory with, in this case it was the Pirelli PZero Rosso. I've since heard from several people that they aren't the best tyres and I fully suspect it's what ruined my experience of the V50.

Ordinary automatic S40s of that era can be had at the auctions for $500 to $800 in nice shape. You would think that with few people driving sticks these days, the manuals would bring even less. Nope. Thought I could get a nice AWD wagon 6-speed pretty cheap, but no, is went for $2800! Buy it for yourself, stick a clutch in it and Ebay it. Cha ching.

I had an '86 Volvo 740 Turbo with a 4-speed manual with overdrive. That was a rare combination at the time.

It was a Jekyll and Hyde operation (of a completely different series of course). For the first 3 years it had warranty repair after warranty repair. After it got away from the dealership to a quality Volvo specialty shop it mostly settled down. When you used OEM parts, they mostly lasted. Aftermarket parts (especially water pumps) had to be replaced several times. The exhaust broke and fell off 3 times and always far from home.

The engine used a bit of oil from day 1 but that never increased. The oil-cooled turbo never had to be replaced.

The clutch lasted around 180,000 Km (115,000 miles). The linkage broke and "while they were there" they replaced the clutch and pressure plate. And the overdrive had to be rebuilt late in our time with it. We spent around $1100/year for repairs and maintenance, averaged over the 18 years, which seemed like a lot at the time.

But it was a great highway cruiser, and had extraordinarily comfortable seats. My wife says it was her all time favourite car. And we had it for 18 years and 285,000 Km so that's some sort of endorsement. And we sold it to friends who enjoyed it for 5 more years.

My wife leased a 1991 740 Turbo. It was a hoot; the automatic transmission was fitted with what felt like a high stall torque converter. Nail the throttle from a dead stop and the RPMs would jump to the point that the turbo kicked in and it was instant boiling rubber. It surprised more than a few people at the Stoplight Grand Prix.

For stoplight grand prix racing, I put the left foot on the brake and the right foot on the gas. Then I time the light so that I get a rolling start and then nail the gas. Pretty much surprises most people.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
For stoplight grand prix racing, I put the left foot on the brake and the right foot on the gas. Then I time the light so that I get a rolling start and then nail the gas. Pretty much surprises most people.

On the 2er I use Launch Control; you just have to time it correctly.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by Wolf359

On the 2er I use Launch Control; you just have to time it correctly.

Rolling start is faster. Launch control sounds like just a regular brake launch. That would tip the other driver off. I usually stop a couple feet back so you can do the rolling start and then nail it. Basically it's kinda like cheating because you're already moving. Easy to beat much faster cars if you're already moving a few seconds before the other car is.

Back