Recent Topics
Dumb parking question.
by PhuongFU - 05/26/20 09:38 PM
spin on fuel filter
by mobilaltima - 05/26/20 09:36 PM
Peak Cool Orange no longer GM DEXCOOL Approved?
by Matt1980 - 05/26/20 08:10 PM
Mesh Router System - 160MHz Backhaul?
by JHZR2 - 05/26/20 08:06 PM
Downshift before WOT?
by Avery4 - 05/26/20 08:01 PM
Getting a free 1997 Chevy 1500 extended cab
by FADEC - 05/26/20 07:22 PM
Got new tires for the trailer today
by BeerCan - 05/26/20 07:06 PM
how much cca is necessary for a truck battery?
by apollo18 - 05/26/20 06:17 PM
Electric car charge cord review
by OVERKILL - 05/26/20 04:55 PM
faulty bosch right angle drill
by benjy - 05/26/20 04:14 PM
2017 Accord Hybrid Brake Fluid Flush
by Tundragod - 05/26/20 04:12 PM
06 GMC Hybrid
by hardheaded - 05/26/20 03:57 PM
98 Camry busted oil drain plug
by JeffKeryk - 05/26/20 03:31 PM
Picked up a used Honda Push Mower today
by redhat - 05/26/20 02:43 PM
Mevotech vs. MOOG
by pbm - 05/26/20 01:47 PM
Any experience with MU-MIX ?
by henni - 05/26/20 01:22 PM
RA code
by Koncrete_Cam - 05/26/20 12:12 PM
Newest Members
Bruce_S, Rwogs, MechEnDawg, jimbacot, MowerVet
71537 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
86 registered members (4WD, 01rangerxl, 92saturnsl2, Astro14, amblerman, 11 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 61 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics305,923
Posts5,282,820
Members71,537
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Inner Core Oil Filter #5389764 03/30/20 09:56 PM
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 19
Q
QuangTeo Offline OP
OP Offline
Q
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 19
I have seen a post about core type like in the picture on the forum but now I can't find it. It talks about the differences between core types. Can someone give me the link of this post.

z1808724585074_c447403b1fc17007815d8a98dbf1df1e.jpg
Re: Inner Core Oil Filter [Re: QuangTeo] #5389776 03/30/20 10:08 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,726
K
Kira Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,726
No need.
Just remember, round holes good, louvers bad.

Re: Inner Core Oil Filter [Re: QuangTeo] #5389817 03/30/20 11:34 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 23,648
Z
ZeeOSix Offline
Offline
Z
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 23,648
Those louvers look pretty good. If they are barely opened up, then that's not good and something to watch for if buying filers with louvers.

Re: Inner Core Oil Filter [Re: Kira] #5389843 03/31/20 12:35 AM
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,880
C
CR94 Online Content
Online Content
C
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,880
Originally Posted by Kira
... Just remember, round holes good, louvers bad.
There's nothing magic about round holes. How about rectangular ones?


2011 Toyota Prius now at 110K
1981 Mazda GLC (323) retired at 606K
1972 Subaru DL retired at 190K
1954 Chevrolet retired at 121K
Re: Inner Core Oil Filter [Re: ZeeOSix] #5389941 03/31/20 06:25 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,162
Z
zrxkawboy Offline
Offline
Z
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,162
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Those louvers look pretty good.


Agreed. I would have no problem with those.


"Think of all the Ford owners who will someday want an automobile." John Dodge

Re: Inner Core Oil Filter [Re: QuangTeo] #5389944 03/31/20 06:36 AM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 13,401
PimTac Offline
Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 13,401
The type or shape and size of the holes means nothing. It’s the total flow capacity that matters. Those louvers likely have more capacity than the old style holes.


2017 Mazda CX5
Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0w20
Roki OEM filter.
Re: Inner Core Oil Filter [Re: Kira] #5389950 03/31/20 06:55 AM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,035
T
Triple_Se7en Online Content
Online Content
T
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,035
Originally Posted by Kira
No need.
Just remember, round holes good, louvers bad.

Agree wholeheartedly.
I now trust Ecores more than squintsy, small louvers that are so inconsistentlyspread-batched at the factory.. If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose an overworked style of filter over one that has such small openings, that particles can get trapped and block passage-thru the media. Round hole sizes I use offer better odds at passages - for longer spells / OCIs. Not all round holes are the same. Get to know your filter choice prior, inside and out. I never met a louver design I liked.

If your vehicle engine is relatively clean (clear dipstick at 1+K), louvers should not hurt it. But if the engine oil gets black-dirty very early in the OCI, louvers are not your friend. I should never have to pack my magnifying glass, to inspect filter media openings at Walmart, before purchase.
spank Down with louvers. boxing


2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 GDI - Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 / OEM 35504 Filter
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI - a 50-50 blend of Pennzoil Platinum HM & Pennzoil Gold 5w30 // AC Delco PF1127 Ecore




Re: Inner Core Oil Filter [Re: PimTac] #5389956 03/31/20 07:15 AM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 12,792
4WD Online Confused
Online Confused
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 12,792
Originally Posted by PimTac
The type or shape and size of the holes means nothing. It’s the total flow capacity that matters. Those louvers likely have more capacity than the old style holes.


Many have plenty = I already posted my “perception” vs reality views once cut open. Wasted a $10 filter on some of the blind members.

Re: Inner Core Oil Filter [Re: Triple_Se7en] #5389963 03/31/20 07:21 AM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,021
B
BMWTurboDzl Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,021
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Kira
No need.
Just remember, round holes good, louvers bad.

Agree wholeheartedly.
I now trust Ecores more than squintsy, small louvers that are so inconsistentlyspread-batched at the factory.. If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose an overworked style of filter over one that has such small openings, that particles can get trapped and block passage-thru the media. Round hole sizes I use offer better odds at passages - for longer spells / OCIs. Not all round holes are the same. Get to know your filter choice prior, inside and out. I never met a louver design I liked.

If your vehicle engine is relatively clean (clear dipstick at 1+K), louvers should not hurt it. But if the engine oil gets black-dirty very early in the OCI, louvers are not your friend. I should never have to pack my magnifying glass, to inspect filter media openings at Walmart, before purchase.
spank Down with louvers. boxing


FYI... Generally speaking on this type of filter the oil flows from the outside of the filter media towards the center so the only time particles could plug up the holes in the center core is if you have a failure of the media and were pushing a bunch of garbage. At which point you have more issues other than the design choice of the holes.

IF anything the louvers enhance the flow for the intended direction (ie. Out the bottom center of the filter).

Last edited by BMWTurboDzl; 03/31/20 07:30 AM.

“It took untold generations to get you where you are. A little gratitude might be in order. If you’re going to insist on bending the world to your way, you better have your reasons.”

435i
Re: Inner Core Oil Filter [Re: QuangTeo] #5389978 03/31/20 07:48 AM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,021
B
BMWTurboDzl Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,021
Originally Posted by QuangTeo
I have seen a post about core type like in the picture on the forum but now I can't find it. It talks about the differences between core types. Can someone give me the link of this post.



Oil enters these filters from the outer holes and exits through the center. Metal cores by the fact that they're metal are not prone to failure unlike say a bad batch of thermoplastic cages.


“It took untold generations to get you where you are. A little gratitude might be in order. If you’re going to insist on bending the world to your way, you better have your reasons.”

435i
Re: Inner Core Oil Filter [Re: Triple_Se7en] #5390102 03/31/20 11:02 AM
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,880
C
CR94 Online Content
Online Content
C
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,880
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
... If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose an overworked style of filter over one that has such small openings, that particles can get trapped and block passage-thru the media. Round hole sizes I use offer better odds at passages - for longer spells / OCIs ...
Ha-ha! What particles?

It would be difficult to manufacture louvers with openings so small that they trap particles that have made it through the media.


2011 Toyota Prius now at 110K
1981 Mazda GLC (323) retired at 606K
1972 Subaru DL retired at 190K
1954 Chevrolet retired at 121K
Re: Inner Core Oil Filter [Re: QuangTeo] #5390152 03/31/20 12:22 PM
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 12,233
wemay Offline
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 12,233


19 VW Passat Wolfsburg TSI: Castrol Edge Pro LL IV Fe 0W20 + VW oil filter
13 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T: Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W30 + H/K oil filter
Re: Inner Core Oil Filter [Re: PimTac] #5390168 03/31/20 12:44 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 2,536
R
RamFan Offline
Offline
R
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 2,536
Originally Posted by PimTac
The type or shape and size of the holes means nothing. It’s the total flow capacity that matters.


This.

It would be absolutely awesome if certain members could stop spreading bull.


18 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
  • 2.0T I4 - 27k - PP Euro LX 0w30 - PureOne - 10k/1yr

16.5 CX-5 Touring AWD
  • 2.5L I4 - 71k - Citgo Supergard Syn 5w30 - Wix - 7.5k/1yr
Re: Inner Core Oil Filter [Re: wemay] #5390169 03/31/20 12:44 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,035
T
Triple_Se7en Online Content
Online Content
T
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,035
Originally Posted by wemay

For 50 years we didn't need to take a flashlight or magnifying glass, to inspect filters for passages. Now louvers come out and the holes are inconsistent as heck.
NOBODY wants to carry flashlights and/or magnifying glass, while shopping for filters. It's irrelevant that more peek-a-boo louvers exist per square inch, than sufficient round holes.
Lastly, the smaller the entry (angle entry louvers are even worse), the better chance it gets plugged up.

Down with louvers. If some like them - even the majority, that's your personal business. I'm fine with someone else owning them.
Now excuse me, onto the next BITOG topic of interest.

Last edited by Triple_Se7en; 03/31/20 12:50 PM.

2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 GDI - Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 / OEM 35504 Filter
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI - a 50-50 blend of Pennzoil Platinum HM & Pennzoil Gold 5w30 // AC Delco PF1127 Ecore




Re: Inner Core Oil Filter [Re: Triple_Se7en] #5390210 03/31/20 01:34 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 13,401
PimTac Offline
Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 13,401
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by wemay

For 50 years we didn't need to take a flashlight or magnifying glass, to inspect filters for passages. Now louvers come out and the holes are inconsistent as heck.
NOBODY wants to carry flashlights and/or magnifying glass, while shopping for filters. It's irrelevant that more peek-a-boo louvers exist per square inch, than sufficient round holes.
Lastly, the smaller the entry (angle entry louvers are even worse), the better chance it gets plugged up.

Down with louvers. If some like them - even the majority, that's your personal business. I'm fine with someone else owning them.
Now excuse me, onto the next BITOG topic of interest.





How can you inspect all the louvers when half of them are open to the opposite direction?

This is usually the reason people think the louvers are closed.


2017 Mazda CX5
Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0w20
Roki OEM filter.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™