Changing tires. Never again

Status
Not open for further replies.
At one time I had a Cycle Hill brand tire changer. It attached to the receiver hitch on my truck. It made tubeless motorcycle tire changing much easier but with my current tube type spoked wheels it was somewhat more difficult since I only have two hands. I sold it a few years back and my local Harley dealer charges a reasonable price if I take the wheel and tire to him.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Last 20 years eh?

Mitsubishi Mirage (both old and the 2020 model)

Think City (both new and old)

Honda Insight (and other random HonSubyuki like vehicles)

Hyundai Accent (new only, really old ones were 12")

Toyota Echo

Original Toyota Prius (re92's on any 14" equip'd Toyo dramatically improves MPGs, from past experience)

I knew of the Mirage and Insight. Forgot about the Prius and Echo. Went to a used tire store not long ago for Insight tires and they had no 14" tires.

I take my motorcycle wheels to an indy dealer who changes the tires and balances them for under $40ea. No headaches for me. If you do your own that's fine also.

I've owned a Cycle Hill tire changer since 2009 and have changed over 200 motorcycle tires with it......both
tubed and tubeless. Some tires are easy and some aren't......stiff sidewall, low profile tires can be very tough
especially if the rim has minimal drop center. Tall, soft sidewall tires like trials tires can almost be mounted by
hand without tools and with a little lube.

As noted previously, warm tires, adequate lube, and technique help with the install. Rim locks complicate the install
and and I have not had the pleasure of installing two rim locks on a wheel since the mid 1970s! One is not too bad.

I use the NoMar dismount bar for both tube and tubeless tires to prevent scratching the rims. The NoMar bar is also used to install tubeless tires.....lots of lube, a warm tire, and one continuous sweep of the install bar works almost every install. NoMar lube will
not corrode a rim.

I use Stubby plastic tire "irons" to install tubed tires to prevent pinching the tube and to prevent any rim scratches. They are a little
thicker than regular metal irons but will not scratch a rim.

https://stubbytiretools.com/

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kurtatron
Do you do it yourself?

I've done all my tires that had a tube in them myself with tire levers. Partly to be better prepared for roadside tire repair. Might have a shop do the next one though.

I've always paid to have tubeless tire changes done. Well worth it to me.

I've read complaints from a long time tire pro about some tires being pretty hard to mount.

I know better equipment makes it easier. And better technique makes it easier too. But it seems like even for the pros it won't always be easy.

I give the tire change business to my dealer, on top of having bought a few bikes over the years. I think that's worth it if I ever I need a favor.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
I once watched my friend try to do a ride-on lawnmower tire change. Watching him 'attempt' to get the tire off the wheel with a screw driver, comical. After much cursing iirc he gave up.

I've done all 4 now on my "cheap" mower, putting tubes in. It's not the most fun but once I remember what I'm doing its not too bad. I've done a few dirt bike tires but I've never tried a car tire. Maybe I will now that I've got some time and I've got some old track tires for the Focus to mount up.

I agree that manually dismount/mounting motorcycle tires with spoons and levers is not trivial and does require finesse. I did a craigslist motorcycle tire changing hobby out of my house in the late 2000's just to pass time for $20/wheel mounted and balanced and after three years, I had a decent clientele with a lot of repeat customers in MA.

I did have a pneumatic Coats turntable and both static and dynamic balancer so it wasn't too much of a struggle except for Honda goldwing wheels and sometimes narrow bias ply tires. What's interesting is if I rushed a job, the best I would be able to finish is like 20-25 minutes. Typically a normal job was more like 35-40 minutes per wheel. So that's why I understand in today's world why dealers were charging $40-50 and some Harley dealerships people were telling me charging $85+. There's simply no profit and I can tell you one thing, my work was much more better than $15/hr tech at a dealership. I know how customers cherished their bikes like I do with mine that no scratches, marks, and lead weights on pristine clean surfaces was the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back