Stock market!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warren Buffet really admires Wayne Gretzky. Here is what he said (paraphrased):

Wayne Gretzky really is the "great one" because Gretzky never skates to the puck, he skates to where the puck will be in two or three moves".

Living in SE TX, I am about a "non hockey" guy as you can ever find, but I know who Wayne Gretzky is, and I see Buffets analogy perfect.

Where will our economy be in a year, or two, or three???

Originally Posted by gfh77665

Wayne Gretzky really is the "great one" because Gretzky never skates to the puck, he skates to where the puck will be in two or three moves".

Living in SE TX, I am about a "non hockey" guy as you can ever find, but I know who Wayne Gretzky is, and I see Buffets analogy perfect.

Now that is some positive thinking!

I looked at my Fidelity account this morning and just a minute ago. Although the ticker numbers have changed for the positive my account value since this morning has not. Maybe my individual investments are off?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 007

I looked at my Fidelity account this morning and just a minute ago. Although the ticker numbers have changed for the positive my account value since this morning has not. Maybe my individual investments are off?

If you're holding mutual funds in your account it won't update until a while [a couple of hours] after the market closes.

Fidelity balances are calculated at the end of day and takes a few hours to show the correct balance.

We have Fidelity and don't check until the next morning.

Originally Posted by 007

Does your account include funds? If so the price is determined at the close of the markets.

Yes to all the above. I have had the same investments with very little tweaking since I invested money in 2003. Many funds you can't even get into anymore. I invested so that I never made a bundle, always made something but hopefully would never lose my shirt. Kinda like a (6)7 guy on a scale of 1-10. Been through lots since 03 which is why I try to be positive since there is not much I can control and my crystal ball is fuzzy!! I have had my portfolio checked many times over the years by different people and have always been told my choices were good, stay the course which is what I am trying to do today!!!

Thanks for the info on market value post.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Fidelity balances are calculated at the end of day and takes a few hours to show the correct balance.

We have Fidelity and don't check until the next morning.

Depends on the mutual funds, the earliest some update is 6pm and others don't update til 8pm.

So. The market was up and then it went down. Then it went up and stayed that way! Life goes on. LOL
Up is good!
Wife has had me try to follow this stuff lately as we are buying property for cash. Not my cup of tea as to all the variables!
God bless you guys that can actually follow this stuff.
Stay healthy!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dishdude
This news comes out during the trading day and the markets close up? Something's not right.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/ec...7-million-unemployment-rate-may-n1172111

That's why I'm convinced that the market is entirely manipulated. You figure all the businesses that are closed, majority of the population is not spending on any thing except the essentials, the long term looks grim, and yet the market goes up? Not logical or possible.

This news comes out during the trading day and the markets close up? Something's not right.

That's what I said last Thursday when the 3.28M was announced.

I recommend being 100% cash and waiting on the sidelines. Things will get much worse when the unemployment snowballs and PPT can only do so much.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

That's why I'm convinced that the market is entirely manipulated. You figure all the businesses that are closed, majority of the population is not spending on any thing except the essentials, the long term looks grim, and yet the market goes up? Not logical or possible.

More conspiracy thinking.

The reason the markets stayed positive is because traders and institutions predicted those numbers already. It's obvious to everyone that UE is going to jump.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Just wait till it reaches 6M, then 10M, 15M+.....

Will market still be green because it was expected ?

At some point the PPT will have to release the brakes and the thing will tank.
It's a matter of how many people start to question what they see happening with the markets.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AC1DD

I think the market is up mainly because people think it's near the bottom (at least for now) and are jumping in and buying stocks.

But yes, as time goes on and all the unemployment numbers and company losses are reported it's got to put a damper on the outlook of the economy and therefore the outlook of the stock market.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

But yes, as time goes on and all the unemployment numbers and company losses are reported it's got to put a damper on the outlook of the economy and therefore the outlook of the stock market.

Thats presuming that there is never any medical breakthroughs or any good news on the horizon. Yes, if you believe that all things will only spiral downward from here, with nothing ever improving, then you are correct.

I don't share that view.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Thats presuming that there is never any medical breakthroughs or any good news on the horizon. Yes, if you believe that all things will only spiral downward from here, with nothing ever improving, then you are correct.

I don't share that view.

Exactly

You want to go through life looking at the negative, then that only reflects upon you and the others who around you as well. For me, that's toxic and unhealthy.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge

I don't share that view.

Exactly

You want to go through life looking at the negative, then that only reflects upon you and the others who around you as well. For me, that's toxic and unhealthy.

That's an interesting thought process behind investment decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back