5.56x45 NATO v 0.223 Remington

Depends more on your barrel twist rate and corresponding bullet weight. The right combo in either 223 or 556 won't really matter for accuracy, although you'll get more power out of 556.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Finally there is ammo available so bought 1,000 rounds OF .223 at Midway USA.

Make sure you have the rifle pointed at the target when you let go of the bolt handle to charge the first round!

Originally Posted by jjjxlr8

Make sure you have the rifle pointed at the target when you let go of the bolt handle to charge the first round!

?
Where else does one point it?

I often see people charge the first round with the muzzle tilted up. They aren't expecting the rifle to fire when the bolt closes on the round as it's chambered. Hopefully you don't experience that issue with the .223 ammo.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Its bolt/ejector part in particular....it works without jamming from Vietnam to Afganistan...

So does the M-16/4 and variants

And the "jamming" encountered in the Nam had nothing to do with the weapon, design or use- it had to do with the govt requirement to use ball powder against the recommended IMR to meet all required arctic requirements in a "one size fits all" doctrine designed to disqualify the AR rifle. That difference created faster burns and damaged/clogged gas tubes and threw the weapon out of time resulting in jams, stovepipes and whatnot.

I had the pleasure of hearing the actual facts from Gene Stoner and LJ Sullivan personally back in the day.

Once corrected, its more reliable now that the AK overall and more than battle proven.

Originally Posted by jjjxlr8

?
Where else does one point it?

I was just at the range an hour ago and the old guy next to me has his 450 Bushmaster AR15 and with the buttstock on the bench and the muzzle pointed up at the ceiling, pulls the charging handle and lets it go to load a round into the chamber.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Don't buy ammo now, due to the panic buying most places are out of stock or price gouging!

I bought .223 ammo at Rural King here locally last weekend for $3 per 20 round box of the cheap tuula

SGAMMO has gone up $5 a box of 50 rds. With shipping at $12.99, NO THANKS! I will just keep buying my ammo from BASS PRO SHOPS with $5.99 shipping. Beat that SGA!
cool.gif

Originally Posted by Astro14
Who buys ammo by the box?

People that are hunting for ammo every panic.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

I do, sometimes. Why are you asking? Is there something wrong with it?
smile.gif

I'm teasing.

I buy it by the case.

So, it's like asking, "who buys beer by the bottle?"

In buying by the case, not only do they lower the price per round (typically), but it will amortize shipping over a lot more rounds, with a big cost/round savings.

It's genuinely a terrible time to be buying ammo. Demand is way up. Prices are way up. Production has been slowed. Those factors will take a while to resolve. Last time we faced an ammo-buying crunch, it was about two years before the normalization.

I'd really recommend a) waiting to buy or b) saving up for a case at a time.

Originally Posted by hatt

I have been buying ammo by the box for over 30 something years. I don't seem to remember too many panics 30 something years ago. Even during panics, my ammo buying has/had never changed.
smirk2.gif

Hatt, I think you were looking in a mirror when you typed that reply.
lol.gif

smile.gif

I'm teasing.

I buy it by the case.

In buying by the case, not only do they lower the price per round (typically), but it will amortize shipping over a lot more rounds, with a big cost/round savings.

It's genuinely a terrible time to be buying ammo. Demand is way up. Prices are way up. Production has been slowed. Those factors will take a while to resolve. Last time we faced an ammo-buying crunch, it was about two years before the normalization.

I buy it by the case as well, mostly for my AR's. I currently have about 4K-4.5K rounds of .223 as I'm typing this.

Astro, I just recently bought several boxes of ammo from BASS PRO SHOPS at ridiculous low prices, and shipping as well.
I bought 2 boxes of Winchester 45 ACP Ranger T-Series 230 gr. Plus P and non Plus P. total prices with shipping for 100 rds. was less than $50. Is that too much?

smile.gif

I'm teasing.

I buy it by the case.

People that go to bars?
smile.gif
wink.gif

I have been buying ammo by the box for over 30 something years. I don't seem to remember too many panics 30 something years ago. Even during panics, my ammo buying has/had never changed.
smirk2.gif

lol.gif

I look in the mirror and regret not cleaning out Walmart last year when they clearanced all the handgun and intermediate rifle ammo. I left like 8-10K rounds of $.15/rd Winchester 5.56 just sitting there. All sorts of other things too. SHAME! I bought a lot of ammo but I should have re-homed it all.

smirk2.gif

lol.gif

I look in the mirror and regret not cleaning out Walmart last year when they clearanced all the handgun and intermediate rifle ammo. I left like 8-10K rounds of $.15/rd Winchester 5.56 just sitting there. All sorts of other things too. SHAME! I bought a lot of ammo but I should have re-homed it all.

Why didn't you clean them out?
I bet you're like me, you sold firearms that you wish you had not.
I had this one LE trade in 5906 that a S&W armorer friend went thru it, bead blasted it, lubed, and meticulously put it all back together. Man, I tell you, that 5906 looked better than when it was new! And, like a fool, I sold it.
33.gif

I already had a bunch of ammo. Plus I have a reloading outfit. Plus I have a decent amount of components. Even cheap stuff adds up to $$$ to just sit in a closet for years. I've sold a couple guns I wish I still had.

Back