Gas Buddy Question

I can't answer your question.

My experience with gas buddy stopped when I realized that the owners of the stations were posting fake low prices just to get customers to stop in. Upon arrival, when the price was higher, and they needed fuel, they'd fill up anyway. My tip off was that the same people were posting prices the same day. Nobody uses that much fuel!
Then the "POINTS" thing ruined the whole point of the app.

If it's still the same as before, I THINK it means unverified price.

Screenshot ? I scrolled through some stations and don't see any like that.

Interestingly, the station closest to me, about a 1/2 mile away, has the buttons for 'Wrong price' and 'Right price' on that station even though I'm not there.

If there is a price posted on GasBuddy and it isn't right or the price is higher, I'll just go elsewhere and post the pump price. I can see this happening with the way the price is fluctuating. Usually it will say owner if they post the price.

There is an Exxon station near me where the Gas Buddy posting is always by the same person. I've gone there to buy premium and found it to be a good bit higher. So now I won't buy a @%$# gallon from this station.

Originally Posted by GJM120
There is an Exxon station near me where the Gas Buddy posting is always by the same person. I've gone there to buy premium and found it to be a good bit higher. So now I won't buy a @%$# gallon from this station.

I'd think a station that did this would be ticking off all sorts of potential customers. Can't beat stupid.

FINALLY I get to read something about a "field info gathering" app which people actually comment on.

Perhaps I'll look at Gas Buddy some time.
It sounds like a good idea in principle but it's now apparent any joker slob can post false information......just like TV, radio, newspapers.
The sad part is that an avenue for price comparisons will crumble away through disuse.

Reminds me of my experience with the national non-alcohol gas station listing site.
I can't remember its name because it's been out of my mind for a while....after 3 fruitless attempts in 3 different regions.

I'd map a cluster of these stations so I could easily find one and each appeared closed for a long time.
I theorized that these stations were oldies due for tank renewal and perhaps someone got the idea to try selling the "limited appeal" product.
Perhaps the last lessee was trying to test the market with the remainder of his lease.

Whatever the realities were the app delivered worthless, false info to my computer.

What's even funnier is that the few times I've mentioned it here, nobody has commented. Am I to conclude I was the only one using the app?

Sucks to hear so many bad stores

I Got the gasbuddy card last week and it already saved me almost $15 in fuel !!! my last fill up Vallero in Ardmore, OK was $1.16 for reg 87 after discount applied
thumbsup2.gif
Haven't paid that low since my HS days in 2002 !!

Dave

Gasbuddy has systems in place that 'detect' bogus info (or they claim to). If someone posts prices that are frequently corrected by others, they will see that and deal with it by not necessarily ignoring the price update, but they'll require others to confirm it first. Waze does the same thing.

That shouldn't happen, especially if it's being updated/posted by the same person. Try reporting it to GB.

I have been using GasBuddy for a few years now and have rarely found the reported gas price not to be the actual price when I arrive at that station...I might add that during volatile times in gas prices the prices might be different (the app shows you when the reported price was reported) and a few times I have noticed certain stations that have E-85 (when I looked for that) was way off but looking at the reported time, it always showed well over 24 hours earlier that price was reported...

Like many things it is merely a tool...good luck

Bill

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

That shouldn't happen, especially if it's being updated/posted by the same person. Try reporting it to GB.

I have reported a member that regularly posts old prices. I correct it often and the numnut will post the wrong price again. All I got were death threats from the psycho and no results.

Originally Posted by MrQuackers
Originally Posted by hallstevenson

I have reported a member that regularly posts old prices. I correct it often and the numnut will post the wrong price again. All I got were death threats from the psycho and no results.

[censored]. I was thinking about taking the advice to report the bad posting, but, after reading this maybe not
frown.gif
Besides, I'm not a Gas Buddy registered user.

Added all my fuel receipts. So far have saved around $75 using Gasbuddy card
thumbsup2.gif

And If i'm lucky to find Shell gas for cheap, I enter my shell FR card first saving avg .05 cents per gallon, Then the gas buddy card and It lets me DOUBLE DIP on savings
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Saved 25 cents a gallon doing this one time. Topped of my crown vic tank for $17 !!!

Dave

Originally Posted by GMguy84
thumbsup2.gif

And If i'm lucky to find Shell gas for cheap, I enter my shell FR card first saving avg .05 cents per gallon, Then the gas buddy card and It lets me DOUBLE DIP on savings
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Saved 25 cents a gallon doing this one time. Topped of my crown vic tank for $17 !!!

Dave

I'm in the Shell Gold+ or whatever, between the Shell Gold savings, 5 cents every 5 Dunkin coffees, and grocery store points, I filled my Tacoma from the low fuel light to full for 23 bucks. According to the app I've saved around 100 bucks lifetime with Shell. I use Shell probably 60% of the time in my truck, and Shell V-Power 100% of the time in the boat.

Originally Posted by JG44
thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Dave

I'm in the Shell Gold+ or whatever, between the Shell Gold savings, 5 cents every 5 Dunkin coffees, and grocery store points, I filled my Tacoma from the low fuel light to full for 23 bucks. According to the app I've saved around 100 bucks lifetime with Shell. I use Shell probably 60% of the time in my truck, and Shell V-Power 100% of the time in the boat.

SWEET !! Must be a "Christmas gift" in "TAXassachusetts"

Sadly here in Dallas Shell is 10-20% higher then other fuel stations. I save it for Oklahoma trips where Shell stations are more in line with others price wise

Dave

Originally Posted by JG44
thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Dave

SWEET !! Must be a "Christmas gift" in "TAXassachusetts"

Sadly here in Dallas Shell is 10-20% higher then other fuel stations. I save it for Oklahoma trips where Shell stations are more in line with others price wise

Dave

It sure doesn't hurt. Looking at gasbuddy now the closest Costco with gas is at $1.35. Sadly I only hit that driving back and forth from Cape Cod so I don't fill up there every time

So ,Back to my Original Question. I received this reply from Gas Buddy:

"When you see a station highlighted in yellow, it means the station is using GasBuddy Business Pages. Business Pages helps fuel brands and convenience store owners meet the demands of today's technology-driven, customer-centric marketplace."

Back