Upgrade from HDD to SSD

Originally Posted by JohnG
Just CLONE it and don't fret. Be sure to use the correct Samsung software to clone, NOT Magician. The software gets rid of a bunch of Windows10 junk on its own, so the cloned image will be smaller than the original space required.
Did this to two old machines. You'll be surprised by the increase in speed and performance!

Magician is used later, after the install.

I bought a hard case, external HD adapter and used that to clone. That way my original HD is protected and usable for backup or external storage. Nothing lost.

I thought the Magician download also included the data migration package ? Maybe it depends on the version. Regardless the Data Migration is outside of what typically is considered Magician, but it is included in the price and available for all Samsung drives.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Originally Posted by JohnG
Just CLONE it and don't fret. Be sure to use the correct Samsung software to clone, NOT Magician. The software gets rid of a bunch of Windows10 junk on its own, so the cloned image will be smaller than the original space required.
Did this to two old machines. You'll be surprised by the increase in speed and performance!

Magician is used later, after the install.

I bought a hard case, external HD adapter and used that to clone. That way my original HD is protected and usable for backup or external storage. Nothing lost.

I thought the Magician download also included the data migration package ? Maybe it depends on the version. Regardless the Data Migration is outside of what typically is considered Magician, but it is included in the price and available for all Samsung drives.

Those are two separate Samsung applications.

Copy the files you need into a USB flash drive. Do a fresh install, which takes only a half hour. Then, copy your files in your new drive.

There is no reason to clone your old drive unless you have a lot of programs that you need to reinstall and a lot of files that are scattered around in your old drive.

The SSD combined with a fresh install will really speed up your computer. There are probably a lot of startup programs in your old drive that slow down your computer in the background, and this is a good opportunity to get rid of them.

Win 10 is validated digitally.
So, if it has Win 10 now, when you do a clean install it will automatically validate when the windows restart.
No need to enter any activation code like in Win 7 or before.

Originally Posted by diyjake
I bought a Samsung EVO 860 500gb SSD to upgrade the hard drive on my 1.5 year old Lenovo laptop. This will be my first time doing something like this so any info you guys can share would be much appreciated.

I was originally going to clone my current hard drive to the new SSD but a few people told me to do a fresh windows 10 install. Will the fresh install really make the much difference? My laptop was barely used and it was used lightly for some photos, emailing and word documents, no games or major downloads.

whether I clone or do a fresh install what would be the correct procedure?

The big difference in speed will be the result of the SSD, not whether it was a fresh install or not. I've done hundreds of both and using an SSD, you'd never notice the difference between the two.

As others have stated, the path of least resistance is the clone, since you retain all your data, drivers, settings...etc. You'll need an external SATA USB adapter and the cloning software, which I expect you'd put on a USB stick and boot from. Some of the Kingston drives come with a copy of Acronis and a USB caddy for your old drive, which is super convenient.

So I went ahead and cloned my hard drive last night using Samsung's data migration. Everything went smooth and just like some of you said took about 1/2 hour.

Thanks you everyone's help!

So I went ahead and cloned my hard drive last night using Samsung's data migration. Everything went smooth and just like some of you said took about 1/2 hour.

You are quite welcome! Glad to hear it went off without a hitch
thumbsup2.gif

So, what differences have you noticed? Faster boot-up? Faster program startups?

I haven't used any programs yet but boot-up went from about 1.5 minutes to 30 seconds and the laptop seems to run faster all around.

I would do a fresh install just for the fact that it will get rid of all the bloatware that laptops ship with. With my daughter's HP laptop win 10 either had, or downloaded the need drivers. It was a very easy process.
just google Windows media creation tool and they have a good guide what is needed and how to create a bootable USB drive to install win10.

Back