New Ram... thoughts by owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 440Magnum
Originally Posted by diyjake
If you want a reliable truck take a look at a Tundra.

... or talk to some impartial Tundra owners to dispel that myth. It's a good truck, but it's no more reliable than a Ram, Ford, Chevy, or GMC. They break, and sometimes in weird and hard to troubleshoot ways.

That's risible.

Middle son has a 2020 Ram Limited 5.7 e-torque. Runs like a champ. With the air suspension it ride rivals luxury cars yet can carry loads or tow heavy trailer. I am a Ford guy but the interior of the Ram puts Ford to shame. This guys reviews are harder than most magazines...sometimes I think too tough but overall IMO he is worth watching. He has tested 3 Rams recently..this is the latest. SavageGeese Ram 1500 Review

Originally Posted by tcp71
For unloaded driving the Ram is at the top of the game right now. If you plan on working the 1/2 ton Ram, or towing, or hauling, check that payload sticker in the door jam. Independent rear suspension keeps payload ratings down which affects its abilities. .

There is no IRS on Rams. 5-link coil springs (optional air springs) instead of leaf springs is what I assume you mean.

Anything should be be nice for a standard 3yr/36k mile lease.

I do love my 2017 Ram 1500 express, quad cab 4x4, pentastar. ~51K miles so far.

Rear parking brakes can be an issue very early on for those who live in the rust belt. Mine are messed up. Pentastar oil filter housings can be an issue. That's about it. As much as I'd love a Hemi simply because I've never owned a V8 in 35yrs of driving, I'd buy another pentastar powered Ram 1500 in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

... or talk to some impartial Tundra owners to dispel that myth. It's a good truck, but it's no more reliable than a Ram, Ford, Chevy, or GMC. They break, and sometimes in weird and hard to troubleshoot ways.

"no more reliable"?...please...and I own a Ram...

There is no IRS on Rams. 5-link coil springs (optional air springs) instead of leaf springs is what I assume you mean.

Roger. In the past, Ram gave up some payload for the smoother ride. Not sure if that is still the case, but it's good to be aware of if your truck needs sway toward heavier cargo or towing.

Those air systems are magnificent when the truck is new. An expensive nightmare as they age and parts need replacing.

I own a 2019 RAM and I have a Tundra "at work" vehicle. I like the Tundra but its in bad need of a real update.

Look at new truck sales over the past 2-3 years. RAM is rockin'.

I have a 2015 Ram SXT I bought new. 56,000 miles on it now and never been back to the dealer for anything other than recalls. First Chrysler product I have ever owned and no complaints.

Originally Posted by earthbound

I stand by it, because I've observed it. Toyotas are fine vehicles, but this weird cult of followers that thinks they're imbued with mythological durability and eternal life is just delusional. They are machines. Machines break. Parts wear out. Period. Even allowing for the fact that once upon a time, the 22R powered Toyota mini truck might have been the most durable vehicle a consumer could buy, it's been a looooong time since 1986. The Tundra in particular has proven to be anything BUT as reliable as a 22R-powered mini truck.

Last edited:
All we have owned for the last 20 years or so are jeeps and Rams. No issues at all with my 16 bighorn owned since new. I have the hemi, no tick or any issue at all. 8 speed is perfect, though some complain of a harsh 3 to 2 gear shift. No fix has been found that I know of. Stay away from the auto air leveling. It doesn't play well in the cold weather. Mine came with the Goodyear wranglers, a terrible tire that only lasted 25000 miles or so. Dangerous in the rain, barely acceptable on dry roads and surprisingly capable in snow and ice. My 4x4 transfer case is perfect for my use, but others who off road don't like it as the 4x4 doesn't truly lock and off road it burn burn up the case. If you see yourself off roading, get the system with out 4x4 auto. If I really wanted to nit pick, I would say the lights are subpar which is a common complaint. Many upgrade the light bulbs and are happy, others upgrade the headlight system including the housing nd are also happy. Mine are stock and are fine for me. Take a look at Dennis DIllon Ram trucks for pricing, you can before some really good deals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hemitruck
Mine came with the Goodyear wranglers, a terrible tire that only lasted 25000 miles or so. Dangerous in the rain, barely acceptable on dry roads and surprisingly capable in snow and ice.

Which Goodyear Wranglers? In my experience, Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires which were just as you described. However, Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar (wow that's a mouthful) are much better tires.

Yeah … put 59k on my last set of the higher end Wranglers with Kevlar … still had good tread but the quartz gravel roads were taking its toll … these same roads can chip harder compounds like Michelin or Toyo …

Originally Posted by earthbound

I stand by it, because I've observed it. Toyotas are fine vehicles, but this weird cult of followers that thinks they're imbued with mythological durability and eternal life is just delusional. They are machines. Machines break. Parts wear out. Period. Even allowing for the fact that once upon a time, the 22R powered Toyota mini truck might have been the most durable vehicle a consumer could buy, it's been a looooong time since 1986. The Tundra in particular has proven to be anything BUT as reliable as a 22R-powered mini truck.

no question Toyota is not as reliable as yesteryear I certainly agree, but overall I think data is there to prove in general they are still the more reliable auto mfg than the Detroit big 3...

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to try to find a deal on a left over 2019. The new rebates today are $7k off a 2019 Big Horn, $6k off a 2020. But dealer discounts are more on a 2019, too. I'd even look at a Tradesman if I could find one, around here everyone has Big Horns with a few Limited trims. The rebates are only until the 14th instead of the typical whole month, so I'm thinking they will be even better incentives in a couple weeks as this virus stuff gets more intense.

I may look to lease this one. I only leased a vehicle once before and it was a while ago, and we got hosed (due to mileage - long story, but the deliar lied to us about something, go figure). Do you negotiate leases the same way you do a purchase? Then the lease is based off the the vehicle price? Or are lease amounts pre-set by the manufacturer? I know $$ down and mileage restrictions change things, too.

The reason for getting rid of the F150 is the problems. It has had several recalls, and two of them have had me return to the dealer at least one additional time (one of them two times). The shifting has never been good, and two transmission software "fixes" later it still doesn't shift well. I put Blisteins on the back for shocks and it still has a fair amount of rear wheel hop. I have the oil consumption issue with the 5.0, though now at 22k miles it isn't too bad. I also have the off-throttle rattle from the front of the engine that they tried to fix with a software patch that doesn't work (I'm worried about long term oil flow to the top end of the engine, lots of theories on this). Had the dash warp problem, and the new dash is squeaking/rattling. I have a rattle from a storage area by the gear shifter, and the warm idle squeak from the engine. These last three issues I'm taking it in for tomorrow morning. I bought the truck for its features, but the color has never grown on me (silver). It is also the vehicle I had to use to take to put down my two dogs of over 11 years in the last 14 months. They were more than family.

Originally Posted by glock19
Originally Posted by hemitruck
Mine came with the Goodyear wranglers, a terrible tire that only lasted 25000 miles or so. Dangerous in the rain, barely acceptable on dry roads and surprisingly capable in snow and ice.

Which Goodyear Wranglers? In my experience, Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires which were just as you described. However, Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar (wow that's a mouthful) are much better tires.

Sorry, wrangler SRA.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to try to find a deal on a left over 2019. The new rebates today are $7k off a 2019 Big Horn, $6k off a 2020. But dealer discounts are more on a 2019, too. I'd even look at a Tradesman if I could find one, around here everyone has Big Horns with a few Limited trims. The rebates are only until the 14th instead of the typical whole month, so I'm thinking they will be even better incentives in a couple weeks as this virus stuff gets more intense.

I may look to lease this one. I only leased a vehicle once before and it was a while ago, and we got hosed (due to mileage - long story, but the deliar lied to us about something, go figure). Do you negotiate leases the same way you do a purchase? Then the lease is based off the the vehicle price? Or are lease amounts pre-set by the manufacturer? I know $$ down and mileage restrictions change things, too.

The reason for getting rid of the F150 is the problems. It has had several recalls, and two of them have had me return to the dealer at least one additional time (one of them two times). The shifting has never been good, and two transmission software "fixes" later it still doesn't shift well. I put Blisteins on the back for shocks and it still has a fair amount of rear wheel hop. I have the oil consumption issue with the 5.0, though now at 22k miles it isn't too bad. I also have the off-throttle rattle from the front of the engine that they tried to fix with a software patch that doesn't work (I'm worried about long term oil flow to the top end of the engine, lots of theories on this). Had the dash warp problem, and the new dash is squeaking/rattling. I have a rattle from a storage area by the gear shifter, and the warm idle squeak from the engine. These last three issues I'm taking it in for tomorrow morning. I bought the truck for its features, but the color has never grown on me (silver). It is also the vehicle I had to use to take to put down my two dogs of over 11 years in the last 14 months. They were more than family.

First, don't overlook the pentastar V6, not at all underpowered, but you can tell it's not a hemi. Start your negotiations at 20% off sticker plus the rebates. That's the deal I got on my 16. I threw Dennis DIllon pricing at them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by MCompact
This is BITOG; feedback from actual owners should be disregarded. The most relevant information comes from people who haven't even sat in the vehicle in question.

GREAT COMMENT!

That happens … on the other hand owners only will bring a fair amount of bias …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back