Is replacing low time oil filters yearly a waste of money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the reasons for replacing the oil yearly regardless of use but what about the oil filter? Is there any benefit in replacing a low time oil filter yearly? Does the filter material begin to break down over time when exposed to oil? Does it need to be replaced with the oil change because of the oil it holds? If this is the case wouldn't most of the oil be able to drain if left standing upright for an hour or two?
I can't think of a reason I should be replacing a 200hr oil filter that has only seen 25 hours yearly with the oil change and I am beginning to wonder if I should just put it back on.

I don't know what 25 hours is in miles, I guess it depends whether it's highway miles or around town in stop and go miles, but the last oil filter I bought for my wife's car said it's rated for 20k miles. I plan on doing several (2or3) 5k changes with that filter on it. It's a cartridge filter if that matters. I assume it has synthetic media in it, and it's filtering synthetic oil. If the car explodes into a giant fireball from using it that long, I'll let you know.,,,

Based on advice found here, I run a filter for 2 OCIs. Some people go for 3...
Generally M1 or Fram Ultras.
My Tundra only sees maybe 3,500 miles annually; I dump the oil but keep the filter.

If a problem arises, I'm sure BITOG members will shout it to the heavens...

The only reason a cellulose filter would break down is the presence of water. I can get a syntheticK&N just as cheap as cellulose so that's what I do so I don't worry about decomposition.

BMW uses high quality oil filter cartridges. I put very few miles on the car (and the OLM would go 20,000+ Km between oil changes) so I change the oil every other year and the filter every other change (yes that's every 4 years). They are still in beautiful condition when I replace them. They could go much longer.

I change the oil filter on my Honda every other change (just as Honda recommends) so they're getting changed every 18 months or so. I use Wix filters and don't worry about them.

I'm sure you could do it, but I don't. My cars get an oil and filter change every year or so regardless of mileage. If money was tight I would probably try to stretch that and maybe change the oil filter the next oil change. With some of the oil filter tear downs I've seen here and other places with filter media separating its cheap insurance to just go ahead and change it. Flame suit on.
wink.gif

Jeff above said, "If a problem arises, I'm sure BITOG members will shout it to the heavens..."

Not if they feel foolish about the mistake.
People here do fess up regularly but it's usually longer ago and the pigheadedness (my preferred approach to problems) is never gone into.

While I'm normally a cheapskate, the cost of a new oil filter with each change isn't going to change my way of life one way or the other.. and I sleep better at night.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it with a cheap oil filter but if you got a good filter like a fram ultra with a silicone ADBV and full sythetic media, I'd be ok with doing it.

Lots of people do lots of things that are a waste of money. They consider it cheap insurance or it gives them peace of mind. Hey, if they sleep better at night doing a little unneeded maintenance that costs them a few dollars, it's well worth their investment.

I'm doing 3K-4K mile OCI's with synthetic fluids and Fram Ultra filter. 3 oil changes per filter or 10K-12K on filter. That's about an annual filter change.

Originally Posted by BrianApp
I know the reasons for replacing the oil yearly regardless of use but what about the oil filter? Is there any benefit in replacing a low time oil filter yearly? Does the filter material begin to break down over time when exposed to oil? Does it need to be replaced with the oil change because of the oil it holds? If this is the case wouldn't most of the oil be able to drain if left standing upright for an hour or two?
I can't think of a reason I should be replacing a 200hr oil filter that has only seen 25 hours yearly with the oil change and I am beginning to wonder if I should just put it back on.

I have to ask what filter you have that is rated for 200 hours?

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
[
I have to ask what filter you have that is rated for 200 hours?

Wouldn't that be most of the quality filters, 200 hours at highway speeds would be like 10000-15000miles, probably somewhere around 5000 in the city.

Originally Posted by JustinH
I'll never waste the chance to spin on a new orange can of doom.

...‚...‚...‚

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back