cooling system vacuum refill kit

Here is a review from the HF website.

Originally Posted by HF User
First use. Seems to work just fine!
I appreciate that HF made this tool! I needed it to test and fill my N63 (550i). It seems to work as expected. I had some difficulty getting a proper seal on the reservoir, but it doesn't seem like that's a tool deficiency. The tool seems robust, like it may withstand moderate impact. The device is heavy, and seems like it's made from dense polymer. The 6 rubber grommets included are various sizes, and designed to fit into the coolant reservoir. The rubber adapters are soft and malleable, which I expect means that they are made from sufficient quality rubber. The tool core, which is tightened to seal the device to the vehicle and act as an orifice to deliver fluid, appears to be made of anodized aluminum. Anodized aluminum seems better than steel in this application because it may have less reactivity with ethylene glycol (and variants). I experienced some trouble when trying to hold a vacuum with the device. Upon reflection, it seems the weight of the attached compressor hose would pull the device slightly ajar, breaking the seal with the reservoir. I realized after I disconnected the tool that may be the purpose of the small hook affixed to the top of the device. Regardless of my inability to use the tool properly, I was able to pull a vacuum on the cooling system, and dunked the intake hose into the coolant bottle. The intake filter fits into a standard coolant jug, but it seemed like the intake filter diameter was too large to fit into a standard gallon water jug. Closing the compressor valve and releasing the coolant intake valve caused the cooling system to drain a jug of coolant. When the first jug was empty, I moved the intake into the next jug, recharged the vacuum, and drained another bottle of coolant. Let the car sit overnight and no visible leaks remained. While I may have lacked the acuity to properly use the tool, it seems like it performed as expected. One negative observation arose from cleanup. When the threaded compressor adapter (nipple) is fitted to the tool and the tool placed in the storage case, the nipple protrudes upwards and prevents the case from closing. So, the nipple needs to be removed for storage and reinstalled when the tool needs to be used. A relatively minor gripe, considering I do not expect to use the tool daily.

Steve

Looks like they have an economy version to save you $30 or $40, but how much is a coolant service at a shop going to cost you one time vs. the more expensive tool you can use for years.

I bought and used the OTC branded coolant vacuum tool and it works great! Didn't have to top off the overflow after a few cycles. It would have been a pain to drain and fill the inverter cooling system without it!

The U-View economy kit works well. I used it for years before it broke:

UView 550500 Airlift II Economy Cooling System Refiller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IHK1VI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OnNGEbADAB64M

If you want to invest more, I highly recommend upgrading to the style that uses application specific caps. The cap style ones seem to suck down the system a lot faster.

B96D98D6-31B7-404A-AF63-09DCB7C87341.jpeg

Originally Posted by The Critic

UView 550500 Airlift II Economy Cooling System Refiller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IHK1VI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OnNGEbADAB64M

If you want to invest more, I highly recommend upgrading to the style that uses application specific caps. The cap style ones seem to suck down the system a lot faster.

Where did you get the one in the picture. I cannot make out the brand.

I bought this HF tool and it works great.
My LSA supercharger intercooler system was a pain to bleed. This tool made it fast and simple to fill and bleed all at once.

Then the truck cooling system was done in 1 simple operation. Bleed and filled and done.

2012 Silverado.

It did not break leak or disappoint. It does not feel cheap.
It works well

To answer this question specifically, if there is any decent amount of coolant in the radiator, the tool won't pull and hold a vacuum. The best thing is to completely drain the radiator if possible.

Originally Posted by Donald
If you had old coolant in the radiator or block would it pull that out as its trying to pull a vacuum? Or just remove air?

It will spit coolant and fail to remove air in the process. At least that's an issue I've encountered with the one at the shop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic

Where did you get the one in the picture. I cannot make out the brand.

It is a snap-on unit. The adapter is an AST.

Originally Posted by Red91
If you had old coolant in the radiator or block would it pull that out as its trying to pull a vacuum? Or just remove air?

It will spit coolant and fail to remove air in the process. At least that's an issue I've encountered with the one at the shop.

It will have enoug loft to pull the dregs of coolant from the bottom of the radiator out? I get it if it low pressure boils it, or if the radiator or something else is nearly full, but I don't get how it would get remnants at the bottom of a large radiator.

The system doesn't need to be fully dry (block, hoses, heater core, radiator, etc., does it?

No, it doesn't need to be fully dry, and it doesn't have enough lift to pull the dregs of fluid from the bottom of the radiator to the top. No pump does. The fluid would have to boil at the vacuum level generated by the venturi, and coolant doesn't - at least, not at normal ambient temperature. You can expect the system to pull about 25 inches of vacuum. Which is good, but not a perfect vacuum (29.92" on a standard day at sea level).

It works just fine if the system is partially full, or even close to full. You'll get most of the air out. Most.

I've got one and used it many times. If the fluid level is close to the vacuum/venturi cap, then, yes, you'll get fluid spitting as air moves the fluid around and splashes it onto the cap.

But if the radiator is full, and your overflow reservoir empty, you won't get that.

It's just a matter of how close the fluid is to the cap.

For the secondary system (intercooler) on the S600, for example, I do two vacuum pulls and fills. That system has some real high spots and is very sensitive to air pockets. I get a bit of fluid spitting and bubbling on the second pull because I am starting with a 95% full system and the fluid level is high. I accept that to be able to achieve a perfect fill.

Back