New Ram... thoughts by owners?

I have a POS 2018 F150. Wanted to keep it a long time but it has been very problematic.

Looking to maybe trade on a 2020 Ram. Local dealer is advertising a Big Horn midnight edition for under $400 per month, $0 down. This would give me flexibility at the end of the lease in case I wanted to go in another direction, or keep it. I only put on 1000 miles a month.

Issues from those that have a newer Ram? Never had a Chrysler product. Hemi tick issues resolved? Like the truck?

My coworker just traded his 2016 Ram for a 2020 Limited, prior to that he was a die hard Ford or nothing guy. It is very very very nice. He opted for the regular 5.7 HEMI, not the e-torque. He had no issues over 50k with his 2016, he just wanted some more options.

Most of the time the "hemi tick" is caused by broken exhaust manifold studs.

Problematic as in financially expensive to keep going, or you're afraid it'll leave you stranded?

If it's from a financial standpoint, I don't see the depreciation on a 2 year old vehicle being in your favor, and then renting another truck as going in the right direction?

I have two FCA products. In the car the Tremec transmission was rebuilt by me to handle the substantially increased power output of the engine. No issues with the car otherwise. It's a lot of fun.

The RAM Dually pretty much just tows a heavy 5th wheel toyhauler. No issues at all with any part of the truck. Including the Diesel emissions system, which random strangers who don't own one frequently tell me is a ticking timebomb...

It's a great truck.

I haven't owned a 1/2 ton RAM, but the 3500 is a nice drive. Take the 1/2 ton for a drive and see if you like it.

I picked up a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the 5.7 Hemi back in October 2018. Got a favorable lease on it, and it is very, very nice for not being the top of the line version.

There have been quite a few recalls, but I attribute that to being the first year of a new model and just live with it. None of the recalled issues ever came up and prevented me from using my truck.

I love its power, its driving characteristics, the room, and its looks. I do not have any "tick" or other complaints. Mine only has 12,600 or so miles on it, so I know it will finish my lease well under the limit. I also love the entertainment system, as it has Apple CarPlay so I get navigation not tied to an expensive option from the factory.

I did look at the Ford F-150 back when I leased my Ram, but it was the Ford dealer down in Bloomington MN that turned me off on any kind of deal there.

I use my truck for a lot of things, including towing a steel car trailer on occasion. Scuffed up the bed pretty good since I got it (most recently with my new toolbox from Home Depot), but the dealer said when I got it: "Scuff it, ding it, scrape it. It's a TRUCK!" (The scuffs still bug me; I probably shouldn't get a brand new truck ...). I never have had a problem.

What I would change: get the Limited edition for an even nicer interior. Put on some all terrain tires for better grip (the highway tires from the factory are clogged with Spring mud right now). That's about it, to be honest.

I live on acreage, need a truck and have test drove and researched many but am having an issue deciding between a Ranger or a Ram.

The Ram is the best driving, best riding full size truck, period.
The Hemi tick has been resolved. The only area of concern is if you get the 5.7 Hemi with the eTorque system. It's standard on the V6, but optional on the V8. The V6 uses a different manufacture for the on engine motor. There has been some eTotrque reliability issues with early adopters. The eTorque system is fantastic as it provides the best auto stop start performance period.

I know the Ram isn't the most reliable full size truck, but I myself can overlook that as it's by far the best one to drive.

I have a 19 New RAM. It's the best truck available without question. Looks wise, unbeaten. Ride quality, unmatched. Handles like a sports sedan. Unreal quality for the $$$. Plus, the best ZF transmission ever built.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
I have a POS 2018 F150. Wanted to keep it a long time but it has been very problematic.

Looking to maybe trade on a 2020 Ram. Local dealer is advertising a Big Horn midnight edition for under $400 per month, $0 down. This would give me flexibility at the end of the lease in case I wanted to go in another direction, or keep it. I only put on 1000 miles a month.

Issues from those that have a newer Ram? Never had a Chrysler product. Hemi tick issues resolved? Like the truck?

I have a POS 2018 F150. Gotta luv that phrase right from the door. Test drive the Ram and bring the MIGHTY MOPAR home!!!
wink.gif

They are good trucks and the new body style brings with it ridiculously good ride comfort and NVH, which was already very good on the previous truck. The HEMI is well sorted and backed by the bulletproof 8spd, they are a great combo. We love our 2019, which we have about 26,000Km on now.

My Son in Law has one with the Hemi. He has had broken exhaust studs. He replaced all the studs and went shorty headers on it.
I think he is still under 50k miles. Other then that it has been a nice truck from what he tells me.

This is BITOG; feedback from actual owners should be disregarded. The most relevant information comes from people who haven't even sat in the vehicle in question.

I work at a Ram store. Don't see newer Rams coming in for anything major.
The 5.7 Hemi and 8-speed combo are well sorted out as mentioned.
Older Rams may have exhaust bolt issues, and ebrakes tend to seize up if not used.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
I have a 19 New RAM. It's the best truck available without question. Looks wise, unbeaten. Ride quality, unmatched. Handles like a sports sedan. Unreal quality for the $$$. Plus, the best ZF transmission ever built.

Yep. But the F-150 doesn't look that bad.

Originally Posted by diyjake
If you want a reliable truck take a look at a Tundra.

The RAM is miles ahead in almost every aspect than the Tundra. The Tundra is a NEW 10 year old plus truck-AND IT SHOWS.

I have a friend who owns one-while it has been very reliable-the ride is very truck like and ergonomically it's terrible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MCompact
This is BITOG; feedback from actual owners should be disregarded. The most relevant information comes from people who haven't even sat in the vehicle in question.

GREAT COMMENT!

Originally Posted by diyjake
If you want a reliable truck take a look at a Tundra.

... or talk to some impartial Tundra owners to dispel that myth. It's a good truck, but it's no more reliable than a Ram, Ford, Chevy, or GMC. They break, and sometimes in weird and hard to troubleshoot ways.

For unloaded driving the Ram is at the top of the game right now. If you plan on working the 1/2 ton Ram, or towing, or hauling, check that payload sticker in the door jam. Independent rear suspension keeps payload ratings down which affects its abilities. Interior is very nice and, as others have stated, the 5.7 non-etorque 8 speed combo is nicely sorted now. I rent a Ram 1/2 ton on some of my travel related jobs and they run very nicely. If you plan on towing/hauling at the upper ranges of a 1/2 ton's abilities, the Ram wouldn't be my choice though. I won't weigh in on an FCA product's reliability as every manufacturer can drop an egg now and again.

I don't know what issues you have with the 2018 F150, but if it's a 5.0, oil consumption can be a problem since ford started their plasma transfer cylinder liners.

Last edited:
Back