Service Champ OF2222 75% OLM, unknown miles

This little "gem" of an Ecore was on the Express 6.0 in my sig when I bought it, it had approximately 5000 miles or so, 25% OLM remaining, but the Jiffy Lube used NON-Dexos rated bulk 5W30 QSAD/green bottle, along with this filter. It caught some crud, but ADBV action was failing (noisy startup after sitting more than a couple days), and end caps looking a little erratic near the seam. Held together reasonably well, wondering if it maybe was a combo bypass design? Oil pressure improved slightly with the RGT 5W30 & new style PH10060, which I'll run for around 3500 miles to flush it out & come back with RGT & Baldwin then.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
...wondering if it maybe was a combo bypass design?

The two set of holes in the base plate it looks like those used with a ADBV/Bypass combo valve. No photo of the rubber valve, so hard to say.

Doesn't the filter sit vertically (bottom down)?
Can't see how you can conclude a faulty ADBV.
How do you know a non Dexos oil was used?
Are you sure the oil was changed when the OLM was reset?
Can anyone decipher the date code on the filter?
Be well.

Originally Posted by Ursatdx
Be well.

12/14/18 or December 2018: date code

Looks pretty nasty to me guys, how many miles on your engine ?

Last edited:
Need a photo of the ADBV. That engine may have a in-block bypass valve ... not sure because GM has gone back and forth on that with newer engines.

Been discussed many times. A bad ADBV on a vertically mounted filter with base up can still allow all the oil in the galleries above the filter to drain down.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Been discussed many times. A bad ADBV on a vertically mounted filter with base up can still allow all the oil in the galleries above the filter to drain down.

.....and it doesn't take much to drain back down either. Just that second of pumped air will make'm tick.

Just ordered a case of 12 of these the other night for 8.99$/free shipping. LOL

21.gif
dont see a reason not to run these 12 filters at 5k mi, 3-6mo OCIs on my hemi.

Last edited:
Be well.

It had a Jiffy Lube sticker with QSAD 5W30 marked on it, for QS to be Dexos it needs to at least be the synthetic blend. The ADBV/combo valve wasn't hardened, but it was not completely flat, a little wavy. I have no way of telling if the oil was changed by the PO, but the filter did have the change date marked on it by JL.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Looks pretty nasty to me guys, how many miles on your engine ?

It has 143K on it. I have a fair amount of RGT oil for it, it's going to get a few short OCIs with a couple Fram Extra Guards (with the newer silicone ADBV) to see if I can clean it up a little. I probably have some carbon & sludge I need to get out, but it runs as well as any 6.0 I've heard, doesn't even have the manifold tick (knock on wood).

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

21.gif

If you keep the interval down, and run some good oil, they will likely be fine. They are the smallest Ecores I've seen, though!

21.gif

If you keep the interval down, and run some good oil, they will likely be fine. They are the smallest Ecores I've seen, though!

Well my ebay seller refunded my money. Hes got this "he-who-not-be-named cough" illness thing and sent me a message saying that he wont be shipping anything or something. Weird.

I'd still run these filters in a clean engine. Shoot I'd run them in a dirty engine for a flush too.

Probably millions of quickie lube using negligent car owners going 10-15k on these running some bulk unnamed dyno.

21.gif

Well my ebay seller refunded my money. Hes got this "he-who-not-be-named cough" illness thing and sent me a message saying that he wont be shipping anything or something. Weird.

I'd still run these filters in a clean engine. Shoot I'd run them in a dirty engine for a flush too.

Probably millions of quickie lube using negligent car owners going 10-15k on these running some bulk unnamed dyno.

I think that's part of my problem, I think this van was an Enterprise rental in a former life, and they're pretty infamous for doing the bare minimum in maintenance, with the cheapest oil they can get. I don't think the Service Champ was necessarily bad, just in a really small application for a 6 liter gas engine that I will eventually use something better, will be Baldwins from Zoro eventually, got them for under $4 each.

Back