Oups, forgot oil cap...

Hi everyone,

I few months ago i was in a hurry and topped up my oil level but after a few kms i noticed smoke coming from the engine bay. I stopped and sure enough the oil cap was not properly put back on and maybe a liter of oil splattered everywhere.

I cleaned it how i could with rags and sprayed a fair amount of contact cleaner in each injector connector but some places are still drenched like the injectors loom and around the injectors. Will it damage the loom or the o-rings ? Or is my ego the only thing hurt really ? should i spray something to degrease it ?

Something makes me think injector o-rings and under-hood looms are resistant to oil.

However, the looms used have a finite life. They crumble away. If they're dry enough for your esthetics I suggest living with them whilst finding new loom. Gotta be heat resistant....I learned the hard way by using common electric shop loom. It looked real good for LESS THAN A YEAR.

Also, cleaning up thoroughly will help you in the event a leak springs up and needs to be located.

I'm not sure, maybe harness is the right word, isn't the loom just the cloth around the harness ?

I always thought the "loom" was the black, ridged, split plastic wire gatherer. It sure isn't cloth.

I would wipe the wires themselves if oil was on 'em.

I did that once on the old Rav4. What a huge mess it makes. Wipe it down the best you can and don't do it again.

If it's OE wiring you should be fine. The wiring under the hood should be suitable (tested) for the condition, which means heat & oil resistant. Wipe up as much as you can and move on..

Last edited:
CRC BrÄkleen brake-parts cleaner will wash away the oil and then dry instantly, without doing any harm.

[Linked Image from crcindustries.com]

Contact cleaner is formulated not to harm plastics while brake cleaner can really harm or at least tarnish them in my experience since it usually contains acetone, i learned it the hard way. If i was to remove every plastic part out of the way i would spray it on the block but im fine with a rag and spraying contact cleaner on contacts inside connectors.

Go to the self service car wash with a can of regular Gunk. Spray the engine down with maybe a quarter of the can and let it sit a few minutes. Spray it off with the spray wand but without any direct blast to the connectors or wires.

Originally Posted by M119
Contact cleaner is formulated not to harm plastics while brake cleaner can really harm or at least tarnish them in my experience since it usually contains acetone, i learned it the hard way. If i was to remove every plastic part out of the way i would spray it on the block but im fine with a rag and spraying contact cleaner on contacts inside connectors.

Yeah, it depends on the type of plastic and rubber. Test it on a small area first, as they say with fabric cleaners.

Chemical-resistance chart -- Plastics International

Many years ago I was on vacation and hit a pothole that ruined a tire. I took it to the Tire Kingdom in Hilton Head to have it replaced. Some imbecile working there removed the oil filler cap-for what reason I cant imagine-and I ended up with a huge mess to clean up. Of course the shop denied all responsibility, saying I needed to talk to the last person who changed my oil.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Go to the self service car wash with a can of regular Gunk. Spray the engine down with maybe a quarter of the can and let it sit a few minutes. Spray it off with the spray wand but without any direct blast to the connectors or wires.

I do this as well. I always leave my car running when doing it. LOL

I would not risk cleaning an engine bay at the car wash, im with Scotty Kilmer on this one.

I had an 87 Mazda 2600 4x4 that had a 2.6L Mitzubishi motor. That thing would hit 70 psi before warmed up. Left the cap off once and it was like a garden sprinkler. SHUT IT OFF!!! SHUT IT OFF!!!!

I have used some oil to lube the o rings prior to inserting the injectors.. They are made of silicone I believe and to withstand gas, why not oil. I would worry about the wiring which its insulation is not meant to have oil all over it. Spray degreaser should clean things up.

Last edited:
Back