Any Hyundai or Kia Service Techs out their in BITOG Land??

Wanna see if you have asked or can ask a question for me to Hyundai's Tech line....

2017 to 2019 Elantra with the 2.0L and the 6AT

Looks like Hyundai update the "Neutral Safety Switch" across their various versions of their transmissions - PN 42700-26700 but they didn't take into account how it would interfere with the removal of the fill bolt on the top of the transmission of this specific version of transmission for the 2017-2019 Elantra 2.0L (Trans unit # A6GF1-2)

It appears the only way to get the bolt out is to cut a notch into the side of the plastic bolt to pass that protruding part of the NSS.

I am hoping that any Hyundai service techs if they have asked or can ask Hyundai's Tech line and find out whats their official position on the design issue? Is their a shorter bolt they have issued to help in getting it out, or a new Neutral Safety Switch???

Thank you

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Veilside
Fill it through the level check plug.

That is in the front of the trans. on what looks like a vertical oil pan facinf the back of the front bumper.

I've asked two different dealership's service techs and they all fill through the level check plug using a pump.

Thanks just89n for the feedback

Would you be able to ask those same two techs if they contacted Hyundai Tech line and what was Hyundai 's official response to this design screw up ?

Originally Posted by JustN89
I've asked two different dealership's service techs and they all fill through the level check plug using a pump.

Originally Posted by CB900F2

Would you be able to ask those same two techs if they contacted Hyundai Tech line and what was Hyundai 's official response to this design screw up ?

Not until the next time I visited the dealership, the other one is in a city that I've since moved away from. Frankly, they prefer to do it this way as it removes the need to take out the air intake box and they only have to be under the car instead of doing something below and on top. Honestly, if you can buy something like this, it would be easier I'd think to just fill up through the level check hole instead. I haven't tried to do an ATF service on my '17 Elantra since I don't need to do it that often. I'll bite the bullet and pay a dealership $150 every 30k miles or so. If I were to do it myself, I'd just fill it through the level check hole before I started cutting the fill plug or trying to remove the NSS.

Thanks for the feedback.. My OP was focused on getting an official reply from Hyundai on their design screw up and wanted to see what is their feedback to their factory techs is and how they suggest to correct this design issue.

Not until the next time I visited the dealership, the other one is in a city that I've since moved away from. Frankly, they prefer to do it this way as it removes the need to take out the air intake box and they only have to be under the car instead of doing something below and on top. Honestly, if you can buy something like this, it would be easier I'd think to just fill up through the level check hole instead. I haven't tried to do an ATF service on my '17 Elantra since I don't need to do it that often. I'll bite the bullet and pay a dealership $150 every 30k miles or so. If I were to do it myself, I'd just fill it through the level check hole before I started cutting the fill plug or trying to remove the NSS.

Every accountant at every car company in the world should be made redundant, and all those emtpy chairs should be filled with mechanics and engineers.

if this happened you would never again have to remove an inlet manifold to change a starter motor, or the battery on a dodge stratus, or the back 2 spark plugs on a pacer, or anything at all on an f250 but leaving the cab ON,

its the accountants that make our lives [censored], all so they can save a penny on every 8 grand.

rant over.

Reactions: pbm
Bump for any Hyundai Factory Techs on the board.. kinda seems like we dont have any.. but ..trying one more time...

Bump for any Hyundai Factory Techs on the board.. kinda seems like we dont have any.. but ..trying one more time...

Last one i knew was salv, he has not been on in 6 months or so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Olas
Every accountant at every car company in the world should be made redundant, and all those emtpy chairs should be filled with mechanics and engineers.

if this happened you would never again have to remove an inlet manifold to change a starter motor, or the battery on a dodge stratus, or the back 2 spark plugs on a pacer, or anything at all on an f250 but leaving the cab ON,

its the accountants that make our lives [censored], all so they can save a penny on every 8 grand.

rant over.

It's called using a computer to design an engine bay. The days are gone when you had two feet on each side of a motor. Don't really think accountants have much to do with it.

Most new car buyers don't keep the car long enough to have to change a starter, spark plugs, or even the battery. They don't care.

Hi All..

Decided to fix Hyunadi's screw up ..... So bought a small square course file, and I removed the air box and piping, and I filed one edge at a 45deg while the plug was still installed on the housing.

Now the plug passes by the NSC with no problem!

Going to do a fluid change next Sat!.

Attachments

• IMG_20200920_1720243.jpg
    IMG_20200920_1720243.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20200920_1720279.jpg
    IMG_20200920_1720279.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20200920_1720331.jpg
    IMG_20200920_1720331.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 31
Hi,

I own a 2017 Elantra SE Value Edition. I just has my ATF drained and refilled at 40K. The shop I use, I very well respected full service shop, simply cut a small notch out of the that black plastic fill plug to remove, not a big deal he told me. The tech knew all about it and had do it to other 2017-2019 Elantras. He says it a Hyundai design flaw.

I’ve changed fluids in several elantra and one sonata. I don’t even use the plug anymore. A quart pumper and go through the level check Hole. 1/10th the work and fill time. Plus you can accurately fill it, as well.

Back