VIDEO: Degreasing cast aluminum engine parts!

1. Purple Power
2. LA's totally awesome
3. Pine Sol generic
4. Kerosene
5. Steamer
6. Dawn grill cleaner
7. Mineral spirits
8. Bar Keeper's Friend
9. Baseboard stripper (winner)

Purple power burns your skin. I'd be hesitant using it on aluminum. No oil eater? That stuff is great.

How did the Pine-sol do?..my sound card is dead on my laptop and the closed captions aren't always the best. I need to do some cleaning on some parts off of my '89 560SEL and I have some pine-sol in my cabinet but I don't want to waste it if it's not really going to do a good job.

Originally Posted by TXCarGeek
How did the Pine-sol do?..my sound card is dead on my laptop and the closed captions aren't always the best. I need to do some cleaning on some parts off of my '89 560SEL and I have some pine-sol in my cabinet but I don't want to waste it if it's not really going to do a good job.

Not awful, but, use it straight with an aggressive brush.

Purple power was diluted in hot water

My method...

1. Warm the part. I used a propane turkey cooker with a very large galvanized pot of water (I got the galvanized pan at the farm store)

2. Remove the warm parts from the almost boiling water and spray with oven cleaner

3. Let sit for about 20 minutes

4. Power Wash. The only scrubbing required was in the small crevices where the power washer didn't get

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dwcopple
I don't own a power washer yet
frown.gif

I didn't either when I cleaned these. I put them in the back of the truck after I sprayed them with oven cleaner and let the cleaner sit as I went to the self service car wash. The power washer isn't as much the key ingredient as heat is

Last edited:
I've had good luck with oven cleaner as well. Unfortunately don't have anything to heat parts with.

I've also had good luck with Mean Green from Dollar Tree and LA's Awesome Orange concentrate which smells way better than the yellow LA's stuff.

I use either mineral spirts or have used the high pH cautic oven cleaner NOT the lame low odor one.

Spray and set 5 minutes wash off most all gone.

Back