Anyone here a blacksmith?

As many folks may or may not know, I enjoy the blacksmithing art or watching it being done. Is anyone here a blacksmith? Also, what actually is a quenching oil? I did google this and couldn't get a decent or proper answer.

Thank You kindly
34.gif
08.gif

Quenching oil is to get more carbon into the steel to make it harder. Not a blacksmith but have an extensive metals background and have worked in 2 large steel mills among other metals manufacturing environments.

Originally Posted by spk2000
Quenching oil is to get more carbon into the steel to make it harder. Not a blacksmith but have an extensive metals background and have worked in 2 large steel mills among other metals manufacturing environments.

Thanks for the info. Some searching I did says possibly a vegetable oil. Anybody know what oil is used for quenching?

Would used motor oil work? Should have more carbon.

Just make sure it's not from a gdi engine!
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by spk2000

Thanks for the info. Some searching I did says possibly a vegetable oil. Anybody know what oil is used for quenching?

Peanut oil and Canola oil.
https://www.knifepath.com/best-oil-quenching-steel/

I've evaluated quenched and tempered product for 40 years and I've never heard of steel picking up carbon from the quench. I dont know where people get that from. It just doesn't happen.

Oil is used to reduce the quench severity, because water can sometimes crack the part. Used motor oil should work okay for backyard quenching. Just make sure the water content is low.

Originally Posted by Kestas
I've evaluated quenched and tempered product for 40 years and I've never heard of steel picking up carbon from the quench. I dont know where people get that from. It just doesn't happen.

Oil is used to reduce the quench severity, because water can sometimes crack the part. Used motor oil should work okay for backyard quenching. Just make sure the water content is low.

Yeah … physics did not change circa Twitter … that's how we made homemade chisels when I was in High School
(around the time iron was first discovered ...Ž)

The machine shop I worked in almost 60 years ago water quenched and tempered some parts including small v notched knives. The company engineer wanted to try oil quenching and had some success. the blacksmith stuck with water as his knives would cut more glue tape than the oil quench. A comment was made that if the knives were oil quenched after sharpening some carbon would be embeded in the steel. Most heat treating was checked for hardness but not the knives.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Just make sure it's not from a gdi engine!
grin2.gif

eek.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Kestas
Whoever made that comment didn't know what they were talking about. Chalk it up to myth or old wives tale.

Yeah, quenching steel or iron in water is let's just say not wise at all. Somedays I seriously just shake my head

It depends on the steel and what you want to end up with, if you are using an O type steel the O stands for oil quench, if your using an
A steel it is Air Quenching. If you use water you will get a harder finish but if you use a fine grained steel and water quench you stand a good chance of cracking it.
If you want to anneal it quench in sand.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Yeah, quenching steel or iron in water is let's just say not wise at all. Somedays I seriously just shake my head

When heat treating a cold chisel I use the water method followed by annealing also in water. Been using this method since 1959.

Back