Oil stashes

Quote of the day "the whole rotten structure will come crashing down"
01.gif

My stash consists of thousands of quarts of various grades at my local Wally's. I keep a quart handy just in case. Old habit.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I gave my brother about 50 quarts of oil when I got to 150 quarts of clearance oil.

No need to have a crazy amount of oil.

I'll agree on that sir
smile.gif

Happy Sunday

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Idiots & Ignoramuses are not those that refuse to needlessly hoard / stash oil. We are 95% of vehicle-owners.

Maybe this thread needs to get closed. Nobody here is an idiot or ignorant blupupher.

There is a very good saying I have heard many years ago...

"Live and let live"....

A lot of Truth in those words... And there are times I need to remind myself to do what those words say too.

I have a huge stash, thousands of gallons. I have a storage facility about six minutes up the street... Called, the store.

Some of this stuff is like prepper level. I can see getting a good deal but even at that you have hundreds or more tied up in... Motor oil. Old motor oil. At least try to flip some of it if you come across a clearance sale or something.

I used to have an oil stash, roughly 75 quarts nothing crazy, but it took me 2+ years to use up in 2 cars. Down to the last 10 quarts now and I won't be building any more stashes. Using up the stash has been a major stress relief.

Haven't bought oil in a couple years but from here on out I'll only buy what I need for the next oil change. Also api sp/ilsac gf-6 is about to come out so I want the latest specs.

My stash is as follows...

Engine Oil
14 Litres - Tesco 15w40 A3/B4
7 Litres - Shell Helix Ultra 0w30 ECT C2/C3
8 Litres - Fuchs Titan GT1 XTL 5w40 Dexos2 (awesome all-rounder oil but I think it's been discontinued now, a huge amount of approvals including LL04 and Porsche A40)
20 Litres - Castrol Edge 5w30 LL
10 Litres - Castrol Vecton Long Drain 10w40 E9
8 Litres - Castrol GTX Ultraclean 10w40 A3/B4
6 Litres - Castrol Edge 0w30 Dexos 2
4 Litres - Castrol Magnatec 10w40

ATF
8 Litres - Comma MVATF
2 Litres - TrippleQX ATF Dexron IID
5 Litres - Valvoline Maxlife ATF

MT/Gear Oil
4.5 Litres - Castrol Syntrans 75w FE
3 Litres - Castrol Syntrax 75w90 Universal
1 Litre - Fuchs Sintopoid 75w90
1 Litre - Granville 75w90

I'm trying hard to streamline my stash down to 1 engine oil, one MT oil, one gear/axle oil and one ATF.

I'd love to find a fully synthetic heavy duty monograde 30 with a SAPS level of less than 1% that meets a modern API specifications (SN/CJ-4 etc). I know Amsoil did their HDD 10w30 which was perfect but I couldn't get it here for less than £20 - £25/quart. I've settled on Castrol Edge 5w30 LL which is a C3 mid-SAPS oil that is 507/507 approved, I can pick it up in Costco on sale for £19 for 4 litres.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Will new oil specification coming out in May (GF-6 : https://www.motor.com/2019/05/get-ready-gf-6-motor-oil/) - will you slow your oil stash buying ? For my two older PFI Hyundai's I'll continue to look for good oil deals . However , for my newer Hyundai GDI engine Sonata I'll wait for the new GF-6 oils to appear before buying any more oil for it .

Doesn't matter if a new spec comes out, the old car will work fine with the old spec. Only really comes into play if you're getting a new car, but that could mean all your old oil is now useless. Went from using 5w20 to 0w40. Still have one jug of 5w20 left but I'll probably give it to someone who can use it.

I have a small stash. Given the fact that Costco now has their own oil, once my stash is done, I may just switch and buy as needed. This will take me a few years since I bought 8 jugs of PUP before black Friday last year.

I got like 19 full gallons of Delo 400Le/400XSP 5w40 out of the Walmart clearance sale for $5/jug, 2 5qt jugs of 0w40 FS Mobil1, 5 individual quarts of 0w40 Mobil1 I bought because Napa is doing that free bluetooth scan tool promotion and my local Napa only has individual quarts but they were somewhat reasonably priced at $6/qt. I have a 2.5gal bottle of 5w40 Rotella T6 that I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with yet.

I bought nine 5L jugs of Castrol Edge 5w30 Full Synthetic for about $9 CAD per jug shipped to my home when walmart had a price error/clear out online. D1G2, SN+

It was worth it. I do oil changes every 3.5K miles. So with a filter, o-ring, and doing it myself, it works out to about $20 CAD to do an oil change.

Usually the same oil is regular price for about $60 CAD, and about half of that when on sale.

Too good a deal to pass up on.

I have a pretty big stash. We used to post how many quarts we had here at BITOG.

After closing my shop, I emptied my bulk supply Pennwood 5W30 (syn blend) into a drum and I have half a drum of 15W40.
On top of that, I closed out several Advance Auto's of their 10W30 PP, which was many 5qt jugs (40+gallons?), and whatever was left of my home stash including ST

So in total, maybe 2 1/2 drums worth?

It's a hobby. It's about the pursuit of the deal.
So people have $100 in enough oil to service their relatives cars for a lifetime.

Really I can't throw rocks. I have a 1892 Winchester 38-40 that's barley shootable that I payed many times that for.

I posted some pics of my stash awhile ago. I believe I am now between 700 -800 litres of synthetic oil of various brands. I have a large garage with metal storage cabinets that they are stored in.
We have 6 cars/ suvs with sumps between 6 and 8.5 litres. My OCI are approximately 5000 km. My son and I both commute to work and I have a son living in the USA that we visit pretty much every weekend in the fall ( lots of miles).
I have never paid more than half price for oil, most of it I paid less than a quarter. My stash was getting down until they discontinued Castrol 0w40 here and clearanced it, so I bought all I could find.
You can think I'm crazy, my oci is too short ....etc . I don't care. I pay for it and they are my choices. I don't lecture anyone on their choices.

Last edited:
Back