Oil stashes

It's all about price and "useability". The CX-5 simply requires SM and GF-5. 0w-20 or 5w-30. The Alfa requires Fiat 9.55535GS-1 or MS-13340 in 0w-30.

If I can find oils with these specs at a good price then I stock up. It's going to be getting used, so why not buy when the price is good?

So far the stash includes the following;

Giulia:
12qts PP Euro LX 0w30
12qts Pennzoil Extended Care 5w30

CX-5:
10qts M1 AFE 0w20
10qts M1 AFE 0w30
5qts Durablend 10w30
5qts Magnatec 10w30
30qts QSUD 5w30
42qts Idemitsu 0w20

Originally Posted by domer10
Pointless, unless you have 3-4 cars you are changing oil for yearly, otherwise why people want to take up space for oil that they know will and always be a sale. I'll buy oil for my change and for one more, because I know 1) it will be on sale again within months let alone the year. 2) New products I may want to try that are out and or coming out. 3) And so I do not have to come on here and ask if my oil is still good, and or complain that there is something clinging to the bottom of jug after sitting for 2 years.

When I see all these so called big scores and "stashes" I laugh, because that oil will either be cheaper at some point and or same price again, and you are just taking up more space and adding clutter. Let the stores take up your space, but by all means if you get a kick staring at bunch of bottles taking up space have at it. If your so obsessed with oil, one would assume you would be the opposite, and want to not be tied to having the exact same oil for years and want to experiment or try different oils.

And now during times like this, that same oil is just going to be had for cheaper a majority of time, if no one is driving no need to change oil. So that big oil stash you are staring at is or will be cheaper again.

This would be true aside from the fact that there are always clearances and deals don't always come around again. Going way back, there was deals for QSUD where it was free, free Nextgen oil for a long time and then tons of AZ clearance oil at the end of the year, different types of oils each time. I regret now not cleaning out a store that had 30+ quarts of Castrol 0w30. At the time I figured I had enough. Now it's discontinued never to be seen again. I still have some Castrol 0w40. They clearance out different oils every year. Last few years there hasn't been anything on sale that I could use. Case in point now is the Mobil 1 rebate, it was $12 last year, now it's $10 so it's worse than last year, limit 2 instead of 4 like last year.

Exactly …
and they will not roll the dice with top shelf offerings again when now Dexos 1.2 can be made from GII

2 jugs of QSUD 5W-30
2 jugs of Kirkland Signature 5W-30
1 jug of Castrol Magnatec 5W-30
8 qts of Chevron Supreme 5W-30

Originally Posted by 2K2AcuraTL
Originally Posted by 4WD
Ok but another cheap shelf bracket hitting another stud would be worth the 20 minutes to put the jugs on the concrete and grab the Dewalt cordless

De-what..??? sorry thats a dirty word in this house..... LOLOLOL yellow tools dont work... Nothing but Bosch here... ok this is way off topic and dont want to start a tool war... LLOL
Cheers
J.
cheers3.gif

But it really looks like you either need another bracket or a thicker board.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Pointless, unless you have 3-4 cars you are changing oil for yearly, otherwise why people want to take up space for oil that they know will and always be a sale. I'll buy oil for my change and for one more, because I know 1) it will be on sale again within months let alone the year. 2) New products I may want to try that are out and or coming out. 3) And so I do not have to come on here and ask if my oil is still good, and or complain that there is something clinging to the bottom of jug after sitting for 2 years.

When I see all these so called big scores and "stashes" I laugh, because that oil will either be cheaper at some point and or same price again, and you are just taking up more space and adding clutter. Let the stores take up your space, but by all means if you get a kick staring at bunch of bottles taking up space have at it. If your so obsessed with oil, one would assume you would be the opposite, and want to not be tied to having the exact same oil for years and want to experiment or try different oils.

And now during times like this, that same oil is just going to be had for cheaper a majority of time, if no one is driving no need to change oil. So that big oil stash you are staring at is or will be cheaper again.

This would be true aside from the fact that there are always clearances and deals don't always come around again. Going way back, there was deals for QSUD where it was free, free Nextgen oil for a long time and then tons of AZ clearance oil at the end of the year, different types of oils each time. I regret now not cleaning out a store that had 30+ quarts of Castrol 0w30. At the time I figured I had enough. Now it's discontinued never to be seen again. I still have some Castrol 0w40. They clearance out different oils every year. Last few years there hasn't been anything on sale that I could use. Case in point now is the Mobil 1 rebate, it was $12 last year, now it's $10 so it's worse than last year, limit 2 instead of 4 like last year.

But you don't think that all these oils will be cheaper when the next gens of oil are getting released. Every manufacturer is going to need make more room for product roll outs. And as far as limits just take your wife or friend with you then. And sure if you know beforehand a oil is getting discontinued and you like it that much sure! Stock up. But I just like to switch it up every now and then, if a new product peaks my interest....and if I really like it, like I said I will buy enough for 2 changes. Because I know like clockwork Canadian tire every few months has their sale on that oil again, or will buy the time I'm through my two changes. Otherwise saving a extra 1-2 dollars a qt is not worth me hoarding it and occupying a whack of space in my garage. I'm not that into saving a few bucks to have 50 bottles weather single qts or jugs lingering around.

And I bet you a majority of people just end up changing it early anyway, out of boredom and easy access to it. So did you really save? I know I do and that's only having a few oil changes on hand sometimes.

Bet how much ? I'm going to run it longer even though it's cheaper since it's better.
And it will not be replaced with a better product … price gamble fail = my win.

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Times like these, its nice to have a stash at HOME!!!
wink.gif

Our local "quick oil change place" advertises you don't even need to leave your car now.......

Maybe that's how the virus is spread....by people having their vehicles serviced.

OK..................

Originally Posted by 4WD
Bet how much ? I'm going to run it longer even though it's cheaper since it's better.

Lol, like I said I could care less about saving a few dollars over oil or to even justify having it occupy a bunch of space. I could walk in to CT tomorrow and if 5L jugs of RGT were 1.99 I wouldn't buy more than 4, you can have your win.....and or whatever you think I am missing out on. I will take spending 5 dollars more a oil change than have to look/stare/sit/store a bunch of oil. And It gives me the flexibility to change oils, try new oils etc. I don't care about price when it comes to vehicles, I will spend the extra for the better gas, the better oil, and pay extra for the stores to use their space to stock the oil, and or not fiddle with a mail in rebate that may or may not get in 6 years time.

LoL ? Childish …
Anyway … Go judge somebody else … ignorant thread I should of stayed out of …

Originally Posted by 4WD

Lol, like I said I could care less about saving a few dollars over oil or to even justify having it occupy a bunch of space. I could walk in to CT tomorrow and if 5L jugs of RGT were 1.99 I wouldn't buy more than 4, you can have your win.....and or whatever you think I am missing out on. I will take spending 5 dollars more a oil change than have to look/stare/sit/store a bunch of oil. And It gives me the flexibility to change oils, try new oils etc. I don't care about price when it comes to vehicles, I will spend the extra for the better gas, the better oil, and pay extra for the stores to use their space to stock the oil, and or not fiddle with a mail in rebate that may or may not get in 6 years time.

You're in Canada. Different country, different prices. What you don't get is that when oil is on sale/clearance here, it's in the $2/quart range or cheaper. Normally it's more like $5+ a quart. Yeah, not a big deal if oil is at $4 instead of $5. You can stock up and save when it's $2 a quart. Between 2 cars, I use 15 quart of oil per oil change.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Ok but another cheap shelf bracket hitting another stud would be worth the 20 minutes to put the jugs on the concrete and grab the Dewalt cordless

De-what..??? sorry thats a dirty word in this house..... LOLOLOL yellow tools dont work... Nothing but Bosch here... ok this is way off topic and dont want to start a tool war... LLOL
Cheers
J.
cheers3.gif

If you'll notice... yes.. that's flimsy shelf is supported in the middle with old flower pots .. which is resting on a ladder, which is resting firmly on 6" nails in the studs.....
mmmm ok its McGuivered... works for me LOL
XD
J.

Last edited:
I keep a quart of each oil I'm currently using on hand.

About halfway through my OCI I'll pick up oil and filters for the next.

GF6/SP/Gen3 is coming and I like to ensure I have the latest in specs, for no reason other than I like it.

Originally Posted by 4WD

Cheers
J.
cheers3.gif

If you'll notice... yes.. that's flimsy shelf is supported in the middle with old flower pots .. which is resting on a ladder, which is resting firmly on 6" nails in the studs.....
XD
J.

Yeah but it's unstable. One day someone will need a flower pot, grab it and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down.

For me, it;s not a stash, but a working inventory of ATF, engine oil, gear oil and grease. My peak engine oil "stash" (good grief you people) is 300 liters or a 2.5 year supply.

Originally Posted by userfriendly
For me, it;s not a stash, but a working inventory of ATF, engine oil, gear oil and grease. My peak engine oil "stash" (good grief you people) is 300 liters or a 2.5 year supply.

That is not what matters, some feel they know what you need more than you do, and know your storage ability and financial status better than you as well, so therefore feel you are an idiot for having a "stash" of a consumable product purchased at a lower price.
Everyone has something in their lives that others feel is stupid and a waste of money, yet some feel so high and mighty telling other people what their needs are, being ignorant to the facts of others needs and desires.
You want to use the local Walmart (or whatever store) as your stash, fine, pay more for oil than I do.
If you feel that saving $10 on an oil change is not a big deal, then by your reasoning (knowing better for others than they do) I could call you and idiot for not being financially responsible and saving money anywhere and everywhere you can.
But I don't, because how you spend your money is your business.

Idiots & Ignoramuses are not those that refuse to needlessly hoard / stash oil. We are 95% of vehicle-owners.

Maybe this thread needs to get closed. Nobody here is an idiot or ignorant blupupher.

XD
J.

Yeah but it's unstable. One day someone will need a flower pot, grab it and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down. [/quote]

ummmmm ... if you seriously believe someone can just reach up....pull out those silly flower pots???? just like that ..?? Ok if you say so...
wink.gif

[ even after a few mild earth tremors.. i mean 2-2.5 on the R scale... they all stayed up without any issues.. LOL]
Yah so that is for me on the shelf debate... XD Have fun guys and stay safe.
J.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Idiots & Ignoramuses are not those that refuse to needlessly hoard / stash oil. We are 95% of vehicle-owners.

Maybe this thread needs to get closed. Nobody here is an idiot or ignorant blupupher.

Let's be civil please. I dont care what someone thinks of me or my stash. I'm not the smartest, but I do get by in life and my work just fine.

Let's keep this post clean and respectful

Thank You all
smile.gif

Last edited:

XD
J.
[/quote]

Yeah but it's unstable. One day someone will need a flower pot, grab it and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down. [/quote]

ummmmm ... if you seriously believe someone can just reach up....pull out those silly flower pots???? just like that ..?? Ok if you say so...
wink.gif

[ even after a few mild earth tremors.. i mean 2-2.5 on the R scale... they all stayed up without any issues.. LOL]
Yah so that is for me on the shelf debate... XD Have fun guys and stay safe.
J.

[/quote]

Well it's the internet, people like to make random pointless observations. Plus how often can you use the phrase the whole rotten structure will come crashing down? It's part of the list of famous last words.

Back