Do you use gas brand exclusively ?

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Michigan passed a law in 2018 where the gas pumps are no longer required to sticker the pump with 10% Ethanol. So now, any gas brand can use ethanol here and no need to admit it.
More & more BP, Mobil, Exxon and Sunoco and Marathon gas stations are now using Ethanol in 87-89-93 octane here.

My neighbor told me about a friend of his sits and waits until someone else pumps 91 e0 before he pulls up behind then to pump his, so he doesn't get the remaining e10 in the line. I have no idea how much that would amount to. If it's for a small jug for lawn equipment it could be substantial. Filling up my Caprice with 20 gallons, not so much I'm sure.

Oh no. You've opened a huge can can of worms for hand wringing anal retentive bitoggers! You are completely right that the multi selection pumps have a single hose. Let's say the ID is 1 inch and the length is 10 ft. That would be 94 cubic inches which is 0.4 gallons. Anyone looking for non ethane premium fuel like at Shell in Canada needs to pay attention to that, especially if you are dispensing into a small gasoline container. My local gas station has old pumps with only one hose per grade, so I don't have that issue.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Michigan passed a law in 2018 where the gas pumps are no longer required to sticker the pump with 10% Ethanol. So now, any gas brand can use ethanol here and no need to admit it.
More & more BP, Mobil, Exxon and Sunoco and Marathon gas stations are now using Ethanol in 87-89-93 octane here.

Most gasoline are Ethanol blended, as the States mandates minimum fuel additives as per protocol.

As for being Top Tier and being up to 10% Ethanol, they already listed on their own website. Hence, you will see some gas station don't sticker them up.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

My neighbor told me about a friend of his sits and waits until someone else pumps 91 e0 before he pulls up behind then to pump his, so he doesn't get the remaining e10 in the line. I have no idea how much that would amount to. If it's for a small jug for lawn equipment it could be substantial. Filling up my Caprice with 20 gallons, not so much I'm sure.

Oh no. You've opened a huge can can of worms for hand wringing anal retentive bitoggers! You are completely right that the multi selection pumps have a single hose. Let's say the ID is 1 inch and the length is 10 ft. That would be 94 cubic inches which is 0.4 gallons. Anyone looking for non ethane premium fuel like at Shell in Canada needs to pay attention to that, especially if you are dispensing into a small gasoline container. My local gas station has old pumps with only one hose per grade, so I don't have that issue.
laugh.gif

Thanks for the numbers. When I store my car for winter i run ethanol free for several tanks before parking it, so by that time the 0.4 gallons would be down to a negligible amount. For the lawn equipment things could be worse.

When I need the lawn mower gas can filled, I buy a few gallons of 93 Octane Premium for my vehicle - pumping it first. Then I fill the gas can last with needed Premium 93 octane. That's how to avoid getting .4 gal of the wrong gas in your gas can.

When I need the lawn mower gas can filled, I buy a few gallons of 93 Octane Premium for my vehicle - pumping it first. Then I fill the gas can last with needed Premium 93 octane. That's how to avoid getting .4 gal of the wrong gas in your gas can.

That's what I've decided to start doing. If I could remember which of my 4 jugs I filled first last week I'd dump it in the truck and start fresh but I will have to dump all of them and start fresh I think.

Good idea Cappy.
I had no idea (until today) that so much fuel from the last pre-pay customer, is retained inside the gas hose assembly. I'm just lucky that all my prior practices at the pump were done in the proper manner - without any knowledge that it was the best & most proper manner of pumping the vehicle first and gas can 2nd.

I've been going to Exxon almost exclusively, as with their card I get .06/gallon off -- and they are usually the cheapest of the major brands around here. Last week, however, I tried an independent station, an actual service place with gas pumps, which offers $1.39 for non-ethanol fuel. I've seen them for years, and they have always been higher in price than Exxon or nearly anyone else. I may continue with them for a while.

I use shell probably 60% of the time, Costco 20%, only since the Costco with gas isn't near my house or on my commute. Mobil and Sunoco make up the next 10%, there's a couple stations on my commute and near the house. The last 10% is Cumberland Farms or any of the very busy unbranded stations near me

Usually Hy Vee, mostly because it is easy to get in and out of, not sure if their gas is top tier or not,but so far I have had no issues with it. Used to use Sam's club gasoline from time to time as well, but decided to let Sam membership expire because kids are out of school and gone and wife and I no longer need to buy groceries in bulk anymore.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Top Tier "Quick Trip" here in Georgia - a little cheaper than Shell and has continued turn over of fresh gas supply as they are very popular gas stations . Also in comparison my 2017 Sonata 2.4L GDI engine gets better gas mileage with Quick Trip gas versus Shell (I have no idea why ?)

My 2.4 GDI gets it's best gas mileage and runs the smoothest with 10% Ethanol...... which produces increased carbon and is no friend of GDIs.
I'm sticking with Shell from now-on. If / when I found out they now include 10% Ethanol, then I'll finally get married to Miss Ethanol.
Shell is the only gas around here currently without Ethanol.

Your 2.4L GDI runs the smoothest but builds up more carbon??? Interesting.

How do you know it does not have enthanol in it?

Back