Sometimes car repairs beat you down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CBR.worm
I did a radiator replacement with a good (Denso) aftermarket radiator, only to realize that the mounting posts weren't in the right spot compared to the OE ones, and the core was thicker. initially, I thought the thicker core could only be a plus. As I was putting it together, I could see things that didn't touch the front of the old radiator were pressing into the fins. The radiator mounting points on the aftermarket radiator were about .250" rearward from where they were supposed to be, in addition to the thicker core. And this was a PM job, everything was fine before I started aside from the OE radiator having 180K miles and 14 years of age. I ended up moving the mount points on the car about .5" back and epoxying the old mount holes. But, what should have been a 1 hour job turned into a good part of the day.

I have many other similar stories, but this one was recent and could have been totally avoided if I bought the OEM part for not much more money.

I don't like doing jobs twice unless there are many years between them.

With 180k and 14 years on it you probably would have had a failure soon, so while you had some trouble. with the install with the aftermarket you probably saved yourself a really inconvenient problem. I also wonder if you received the incorrect replacement part Denso Perfect Fit models are supposed to be 100% non-modified install jobs.

This is a great example of why I hate aftermarket parts. I used an aftermarket AC accumulator, and after getting a perfect vacuum, and a fresh recharge of R-134a, it blew the hose off when I got done driving it. Being on the low side (suction) the pressure on the accumulator is lower when in operation, and higher as the pressure equalizes. The factory did not put a proper notch for the lock spring to enguage. Junk. Ended up getting a dealer one for two times the price and it was flawless.

Another example was aftermarket headlamp housings. not even close in terms of dimensions. Every time you hit a bump they go out of alignment. i had to transfer all the old mounts to the new housings to even remotely make them work.

Lastly is aftermarket alternators, I have no joke had better luck putting new bearings in junkyard OEM alternators then the crap they sell these days. I cant even get a year out of an over the counter alternator.

Don't even get me started on aftermarket non stainless exhaust system components! There should be a law preventing them from being manufactured. If you sneeze the wrong way they will rot out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fordiesel69
This is a great example of why I hate aftermarket parts. I used an aftermarket AC accumulator, and after getting a perfect vacuum, and a fresh recharge of R-134a, it blew the hose off when I got done driving it. Being on the low side (suction) the pressure on the accumulator is lower when in operation, and higher as the pressure equalizes. The factory did not put a proper notch for the lock spring to enguage. Junk. Ended up getting a dealer one for two times the price and it was flawless.

Another example was aftermarket headlamp housings. not even close in terms of dimensions. Every time you hit a bump they go out of alignment. i had to transfer all the old mounts to the new housings to even remotely make them work.

Lastly is aftermarket alternators, I have no joke had better luck putting new bearings in junkyard OEM alternators then the crap they sell these days. I cant even get a year out of an over the counter alternator.

Don't even get me started on aftermarket non stainless exhaust system components! There should be a law preventing them from being manufactured. If you sneeze the wrong way they will rot out.

I've had the same experience with starters. Slowly rebuilding a junk lifetime warranty ac Delco, 3rd warranty replacement I put a $30 solenoid on it from the local rebuilder, then when the drive started to go I bought a drive from them for about the same price. Eventually it has to stop breaking. I will never buy anything ac Delco again though.

I've changed radiators in a few different vehicles but I never used an OEM one and had no issues with them afterwards.

I think the brands were Sunbelt and four seasons?

anyways they went in like they should and it well and did not leak at all afterwards and the caps fit fine.

sometimes you have to do a lot of research and read a lot of reviews to find a decent product.

and you can always leave a review for whatever to help the next person to find there way to a quality product or to keep them from buying a junk product

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back