Oil for 2019 EcoBoost Mustang

Stay away from MC SynBlend
What's the blend %
Nobody knows

Lots of really good Synthetic oils for the same $💵

Don't use a blend in a Turbo motor !

Enjoy your Mustang !!!👠🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸💪ðŸ¼ðŸ’ªðŸ¼ðŸ’ªðŸ¼

Last edited:
Yep, full syns are better options than conventional or synblends with GDI / TGDI engines. Once the factory-fill conventional and synblends are drained, move up to full syn for best flow, protection, temperature swings and longer OCIs (where it fits the engine).

Check your owners manual! The regular 2.3l base is spec'd for 5w30, the high output "Track Pack" 2.3l version is 5w50. Any oil that meets Ford's WSS-XXXX for the specified grade will work fine but I would use a "full synthetic" that meets the Ford spec.

I never cease to be surprised at how many people on here will make the decision to buy Motorcraft, a synthetic blend, when far superior full-synthetics are available for less money!

Must be just because it has the Ford name on it, and their marketing dept. put it in the owner's manual. People must think they HAVE to use that.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
I never cease to be surprised at how many people on here will make the decision to buy Motorcraft, a synthetic blend, when far superior full-synthetics are available for less money!

Must be just because it has the Ford name on it, and their marketing dept. put it in the owner's manual. People must think they HAVE to use that.

Correct, some people like to use the factory branded products. I don't feel that way.

As mentioned before, I'm not opposed to other Companies oils. I would prefer that it meets the newest Ford WSS-M2C946-B1 spec. A few other full synthetic oils do meet this spec at this time. I'm only saving about $10.00 to $20.00 by using the MC. Probably will just spend the extra money and get a full synthetic for the minimal cost difference.

It's fine. I ran mine almost all the way down on the IOLM, 9.2 k miles, and tested. 12ppm iron. Oil was pretty much done though.

It's not particularly cheap in the jug. At the Ford Quicklane place it's a reasonable price. Not many of us go more than 7k miles between changes anyway.

It's pretty easy to accumulate a stash of Mobil 1 EP or similar high end syn for about the same price if you keep your eyes peeled.

Originally Posted by jimbrewer
It's fine. I ran mine almost all the way down on the IOLM, 9.2 k miles, and tested. 12ppm iron. Oil was pretty much done though.

It's not particularly cheap in the jug. At the Ford Quicklane place it's a reasonable price. Not many of us go more than 7k miles between changes anyway.

It's pretty easy to accumulate a stash of Mobil 1 EP or similar high end syn for about the same price if you keep your eyes peeled.

Yep. I was able to score 50+ qts of M1-AP & VME 0W-20 @ $2/qt recently during the AZ clearance. And could have gotten more. Decided to cap it because what I have now will last over 3 years in the fiancée's Civic.

I'd run a full syn; It's hot down there. You gotta see what your car feels like on different oils, then, pick the oil your car "likes."

Last edited:
I'd run a full syn; It's hot down there. You gotta see what your car feels like on different oils, then, pick the oil your car "likes."
How do you see what the car “feels like” on different oils? Do you have a discussion with it?

How do you see what the car “feels like” on different oils? Do you have a discussion with it?
Most drivers can notice the engine running more smoothly or more quietly with one oil vs. another oil.

I have a '19 mustang Ecoboost premium convertible. For the ecoboost engine, the manual says on page 301 to use 5w30, but says 5w50 can be used for tracking the car. It also says 0w30 can be used for extremely cold climates (pg 304).

For the 5l v8, it says on pg 306 to use 5w20 normally, 5w30 for the track and 0w20 for extremely cold climates (pg 309).

See https://www.ford.com/support/owner-manuals-details/

I believe the more important aspect is the quality/specs of the motor oil and the frequency of oil changes. I look for a full synthetic that has an SP rating. Especially with direct injection engines, a low volatility oil will reduce carbon buildup.

Last edited:
Back