Was I charged a fair price for welding exhaust?

This was on a Silverado PU so there is plenty of access to the pipes. Someone tried unsuccessfully to steal the catalytic converter. Looks like they used a chain cutter so the two cuts were clean but they didn't get all the way through on one side. Took it to a performance exhaust shop and the guy wanted to charge $150 to repair. I declined. Then $130. I told him $100 would be more than reasonable for two welds, so after talking to the boss he agreed. I thought even that was a bit much for 20-30 minutes of work, but what do you think?

Seems a little rich, but if you don't have a repoire with them it's easy to pay over-the-counter list.

Originally Posted by atikovi
This was on a Silverado PU so there is plenty of access to the pipes. Someone tried unsuccessfully to steal the catalytic converter. Looks like they used a chain cutter so the two cuts were clean but they didn't get all the way through on one side. Took it to a performance exhaust shop and the guy wanted to charge $150 to repair. I declined. Then $130. I told him $100 would be more than reasonable for two welds, so after talking to the boss he agreed. I thought even that was a bit much for 20-30 minutes of work, but what do you think?

I bet that didn't happen in the neighborhood where you stage your vehicle photos. $100 isn't too bad for the DC area if he did it right.

The gentle little hollow which drains into the Hackensack River was home to a few older buildings. My welder, Rubin, was there.

Rubin's shop was my completely legitimate reason to not buy welding equipment. Sorry to say I let it prevent me from learning to weld.

Alas, the old settlement was completely raised to make a strip of 6 shops I never need.

$30 to $50 by the sound of your damage.

If I caught guys doing that to my vehicle....I'd be the bad guy. I'd be convicted of peddling their unrefrigerated organs to hospitals.

Boy back in the day when I had a seat frame that was cracked, I took it to a radiator shop and for $20, they did the weld in a couple minutes. I suppose for $100, that's still the full retail price.

The real question is, is it a waste of $100 if the guy comes back to finish the job when he has the right tool?

You seem to live in an expensive area so prices need to be higher than in Apple Valley Cali.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Man, you have so, so, so, so, so, many troubles....

You mean I'm not the only one with problems? ...

If you want a small job done like this it's best to use someone who works from their home or a small independent shop.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
If you want a small job done like this it's best to use someone who works from their home or a small independent shop.

For sure.
Nobody wants or hopes to be in a postion of being limited to bids for needs of skilled trades, shop book time for mech work or related vocations.
The recent push for more training and education on skilled trades rather than chasing the college drama, loans and gamble tells us exactly where the money and opportunity is.
Exciting for those pursuing and scary for us customers !
cry.gif

Seriously though, never complained about paying a fair price for good work or craftsmanship. Vote with your wallet !

thumbsup2.gif

Corner muffler shop here charged me $40 to weld in my new catalytic converter for my Jeep. Charged the same for my brother.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Never heard of that one. Where the heck was it parked?
Crack heads

Back