210,000 miles on one air filter

Originally Posted by Marco620
Originally Posted by gathermewool
I wonder if you net better gas mileage, sucking in all of that hot air.

Its actually not that hot and I did remove ALL the factory resonator piping as I have the add on for a front bumper cold air inlet. Most driving is about 40mph-85mph so plenty air moves. How I know is cause if it rains or snows I get a light engine bay misting so I know that air is getting in.

Thanks for the reply. It would be interesting to see you switch back to the stock intake and see how that affects your gas mileage.

The air cleaner on my Silverado has one of those built in airflow meters to tell you when the filter needs replacing. Anyone have any knowledge on how accurate they are? I don't think I've ever seen one say it needed replacing.

Its actually not that hot and I did remove ALL the factory resonator piping as I have the add on for a front bumper cold air inlet. Most driving is about 40mph-85mph so plenty air moves. How I know is cause if it rains or snows I get a light engine bay misting so I know that air is getting in.

Thanks for the reply. It would be interesting to see you switch back to the stock intake and see how that affects your gas mileage.

Sorry for the earlier comment, gathermewool. I thought you were being facetious.

Originally Posted by wemay

Sorry for the earlier comment, gathermewool. I thought you were being facetious.

No worries. I'm sarcastic and matter-of-fact by nature, I'm sure some of that bleeds through here in my posts. Combine that with the fact that I'm loud and speak rapidly and it's a recipe for misunderstanding in real life, too.
11.gif
With that being said, I believe I did give the OP a hard time for something a while back, when he first joined, and it might have been about his intake. I apologize for that, if he remembers and was offended by my post above.

As it turns out, the OP is saying he's got good air flow under there. I had this exact vehicle and can't say that I agree with him; I still believe he's sucking in mostly hot air and likely unintentionally getting better MPG for it. That is, so long as his O2 sensor can make up for the wonky fuel trims.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
The air cleaner on my Silverado has one of those built in airflow meters to tell you when the filter needs replacing. Anyone have any knowledge on how accurate they are? I don't think I've ever seen one say it needed replacing.

Make sure you do some wide open throttle runs to ensure the sensor sees the max delta-p across the filter. Just cruising around like grandma won't trip any "change filter now" sensor.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Make sure you do some wide open throttle runs to ensure the sensor sees the max delta-p across the filter. Just cruising around like grandma won't trip any "change filter now" sensor.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to remember to check it after the rare times I go full throttle. I baby it since I need it for work and worry about the transmission.

Every class 8 truck I drove had one and if its good enough for a 100k dollar truck its good enough for my 30k(and under) cars. There a simple gauge(not much to go wrong) and I never had one go bad in 23 years of driving trucks.
Its a good gauge to put on your car or pickup, I even put one on my S2000

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...y-s2000-air-filter-with-pics#Post4224343

Rod

Originally Posted by Linctex
The only time one notices an air filter being excessively restrictive is at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE

Which begs the question of why even use anything other than the stock system.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Linctex
The only time one notices an air filter being excessively restrictive is at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE

Which begs the question of why even use anything other than the stock system.

True for people who don't got WOT. But lots of people modify intake and exhaust systems to get some more HP at WOT when they want to live at WOT.

My experience in my 2006 Accord V6 (detailed above) was light-throttle around-town driving for about 3 months -> puzzling loss of power in any weather, with very noticeable power improvement (like new) immediately upon changing the air filter only.

Originally Posted by SWS
My experience in my 2006 Accord V6 (detailed above) was light-throttle around-town driving for about 3 months -> puzzling loss of power in any weather, with very noticeable power improvement (like new) immediately upon changing the air filter only.

A new filter might have improved throttle response down low - ie, more even/smoother air flow going into the engine at light throttle.

Back