Oil stashes

I have about 20 five liter jugs in my stash. I will use about seven or eight jugs a year. I change the oil on four cars, an SUV, a motorcycle, a boat and my lawnmower. Some of those are mine, my kids and my elderly parents. I label when I got the oil and use the oldest first. Right now my oldest oil are two jugs from 2018. I try to wait until a sale of around $20 a jug. I only buy synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I want the best & latest & greatest oils for my rides. Some of the Stashers will also..... leading to thinning out their stashes.

Not me. SP/GF6 will do nothing more for any of my vehicles than my current stash of SN/SN+ oil does.

I will save / folder your reply here, when numerous new certs UOAs and VOAs are shown here in the next couple years.

Perfect evidence that oil chemistry will change is by all the fantastic sales that have been occurring and will continue to occur for a couple more months. Oil bottlers want the old stock and old certs gone. That's why you are seeing ridiculous low pricing and unusual rebates on some oils now. The extent and rtype of sales occuring these past months have not happened before, when prior certs were changed. No sales this drastic happened.

You can't put 2 + 2 together?...... sure you can. What's happening is plain-as-day, where large inventories have existed. Example: Rotella Gas & Truck Clearances that were early-on after the product first arrived. Nobody was buying it and SOPUS moved quickly to rid the stock from warehouse and store shelves. Auto Zone likely overbought - clearanced them-out and has-yet to reorder any SN Plus version of it.

The new formulas will be more than just a minor tweak. Watch!!!!

Last edited:
Currently 191 quarts in my stash. All full synthetic oils under $2.50 per quart. I maintain 5 vehicles, 4 different size lawn mowers, 3 snow blowers, 2 mini bikes, 2 gokarts, 2 generators, and an ATV in the family so its nice to have it ready to go on the shelf. My rule now is if i see full synthetic at $2 or less a quart i buy 20 quarts or so. Trying to keep the stash under 200 quarts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Originally Posted by atikovi
It's all about price. Grabbing a great sale price that might not come again for a while. Name brand synthetic like Havoline for under $3 a quart. I bought 6 gallons. AC Delco Dexron 6 for $3.46 a quart delivered. I bought 4 cases. It's not like they have an expiration date. My stash in the laundry room.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Atkovi, you must be single. A partner or spouse would never tolerate a laundry room like that.

True, but if I had a spouse I wouldn't complain about how she stored her shoes or clothes in the closet.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Originally Posted by stockrex
IMHO

Stash > 200 Gallons

Yes Sir, gallons, if you are counting in qts, take a number and go to the back of the line and wait to called ;-)

I remember members here with stash in excess of 400 gallons of oil.

I bought 240 Gallons of Delvac 1300 15w40, it was essentially free after rebates do to the wm.com pricing error, I will never do that again, it takes up a tremendous amount of space,but at least I made $1000 when I sold it.

How do you get rebates on 240 gallons? Usually its limited to two or so.

I have 125 assorted quarts and won't buy more for 2-3 years. My vehicles are older and don't require the newer oil certifications. I service our 3 vehicles and 3-4 others for friends. Plus when Shell puts Rotella Gas Truck on sale with a big rebate and Autozone clears it out, how can you resist name brand full synthetic at a net cost of 50 cents a quart? I bought 40.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by blufeb95
Originally Posted by stockrex
IMHO

Stash > 200 Gallons

Yes Sir, gallons, if you are counting in qts, take a number and go to the back of the line and wait to called ;-)

I remember members here with stash in excess of 400 gallons of oil.

I bought 240 Gallons of Delvac 1300 15w40, it was essentially free after rebates do to the wm.com pricing error, I will never do that again, it takes up a tremendous amount of space,but at least I made $1000 when I sold it.

How do you get rebates on 240 gallons? Usually its limited to two or so.

Mobil has a rewards program on Delvac you get 10 points per gallon of Delvac 1300 Super, and you can cash out multiples of 50 points for $5 on a prepaid Visa card as long as you have at least 100 points (minimum $10). There was also a rebate of $5 per jug with a limit of 6, so I got back like $270 which was pretty much what I paid since they were 12 for the price of 1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GON
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
GON, that's what I call a stash!

Norman, that about ten percent of it....

I am shopping now for a no where to be found deal on Mobil 1 ATF. It goes for about ten dollars per quart, I bought a handful at Pep Boys at locations they were hutting down retail sales for 40 percent off. But every time I go to a store I search for the M1 ATF hoping to find a score.

When I lived in PA, I paid a $1,000 for all the odd lots of oil, brake cleaner, you name it from a wholesale auto parts warehouse. Was the greatest things I ever did as I was rebuilding numerous vehicles, and no matter what i needed I had it. Was three full size pickup truck and trailer loads full. When I was transferred to Utah, I left it all behind, I have super regretted leaving it behind, but was afraid of leakage on the household goods. Utah has a awesome economy- very hard to find deals here, unlike Pennsylvania which was deal a rama.

Good to know that you consider that a deal. I guess I should sell my stash of M1 ATF on Craiglist for about $5-6 a quart. Got about a dozen during the AZ clearance for $2 then I got rid of that car a couple years ago and the new car only does ATF 134.

As to the OP's question, I only get a stash when it's on sale. Not too many good deals lately, I think I'm down to about 15 quarts which is just one oil change for each car. Guess it's time to get some Mobil 1 oil when the rebate kicks in.

I'll take advantage of a good/great deal but I won't but more than 4 OCI worth. That's ~2 years for me. I won't look for more deals until I'm down to 1-2 OCI.

$12/ 5qt jug is a pretty standard deal with Pennzoil or M1 on rebate. Sometimes you can get a killer deal like the $22 back on a jug of $20 oil. get paid $2 for get the oil.

I'm seen excessive cases were a guy had by m calculation 20 years worth of oil changes. The oil most certainly would be out of spec for a car 20 years from now.

Unless it was free, it was waisted money. Many realize this and give it away. again waisted money.

Some folks get carried away with the thrill of getting a good deal and can't pass one up.

*I'm the Noah's Ark of synthetic D1 / Gen 2 motor oil :

2 jugs M1 5W30
2 jugs QSUD 5W20
2 jugs QSUD 5W30
2 jugs Magnatec 5W30
2 jugs PUP 5W30
2 jugs VAS 5W30

my stash is mobil 1 2t motorcycle racing 2 stroke oil. best 2cycle oil of all time. have about a dozen qts left. great stuff

Here is my stash.. 70 lts or close to 74 quarts... not huge by any means.. but its enough for the wife to shake her head.. LOL
I have 3 Hondas to look after, and a few OPE.
Here's the thing... now the yearly mileage gets divided 3 ways ..
The last OCI was late Nov > 1-the Civic put on 5000km OLM at 50% / 2- the TL put on 1000km / and 3- the MDX put on 5000 as well OLM at 60%..

My OCI OCD tells me its oil changing time.... my logic is telling me -no-..
I cant sit still.... ughhhhhh
wink.gif

[Linked Image]

I think there's something wrong with everyone but us. I only have 18 oil changes worth of oil. 3 vehicles so 2 years. But only 3 filters each. All spec and type for vehicles. Through various sales and stuff, about $.60 per quart. With filter about $7 per change, diy. Nothing wrong with having a bit of a stash.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
What would happen if there was some big national emergency and you couldn't get any more motor oil......never mind.
lol.gif

Most likely there would be no Gasoline.

Ok but another cheap shelf bracket hitting another stud would be worth the 20 minutes to put the jugs on the concrete and grab the Dewalt cordless

Originally Posted by 4WD
Ok but another cheap shelf bracket hitting another stud would be worth the 20 minutes to put the jugs on the concrete and grab the Dewalt cordless

De-what..??? sorry thats a dirty word in this house..... LOLOLOL yellow tools dont work... Nothing but Bosch here... ok this is way off topic and dont want to start a tool war... LLOL
Cheers
J.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
I admit I've over-stashed, it's hard with the good clearances at AZ/AAP had last year along with rebates. I have just under 100 qts., which I admit is excessive and will only buy oil to fill out an OCI with a similar oil. But that is for three cars (at least, I'll end up doing a relatives or friend's car as well). Anything older than 2019 date code will be gone by the end of this year so not really worried about outdated oils. It seems like the rebates are what they were last year anyways, and I think clearances will become slimmer picking anyways...

Pointless, unless you have 3-4 cars you are changing oil for yearly, otherwise why people want to take up space for oil that they know will and always be a sale. I'll buy oil for my change and for one more, because I know 1) it will be on sale again within months let alone the year. 2) New products I may want to try that are out and or coming out. 3) And so I do not have to come on here and ask if my oil is still good, and or complain that there is something clinging to the bottom of jug after sitting for 2 years.

When I see all these so called big scores and "stashes" I laugh, because that oil will either be cheaper at some point and or same price again, and you are just taking up more space and adding clutter. Let the stores take up your space, but by all means if you get a kick staring at bunch of bottles taking up space have at it. If your so obsessed with oil, one would assume you would be the opposite, and want to not be tied to having the exact same oil for years and want to experiment or try different oils.

And now during times like this, that same oil is just going to be had for cheaper a majority of time, if no one is driving no need to change oil. So that big oil stash you are staring at is or will be cheaper again.

Back